Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Travel Paddle "Confiscated" by Security at Sydney

Created by billwithers > 9 months ago, 15 May 2016
billwithers
NSW, 2 posts
15 May 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have read various Posts suggesting that taking a 3 piece paddle as Hand Luggage has not created problems in the past with "Security" at Kingsford Smith.

Definitely NOT the case anymore due to new "Regulations". I took my brand new Carbon 3 piece paddle as hand luggage as it wouldn't fit in our checked in bags and I didn't want it getting damaged. The Airline check-in desk said that there should be no problem as people are allowed to take extendable walking sticks and crutches on board, but clearly they had not been updated on the new "Protocols" now in place.

Very pissed off, no facility for it going into Lost Property for collection on the way back, or even taking it by Security to the gate and putting it into the hold, like all of the pushchairs and strollers going onto the flight.

Apparently it would be disposed of in the Airport rubbish.......

So someone, somewhere has picked up a very nice paddle for nothing......

And then
VIC, 120 posts
15 May 2016 1:45PM
Thumbs Up

That sucks!
Thank you so much for the heads up.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
15 May 2016 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
billwithers said..
I have read various Posts suggesting that taking a 3 piece paddle as Hand Luggage has not created problems in the past with "Security" at Kingsford Smith.

Definitely NOT the case anymore due to new "Regulations". I took my brand new Carbon 3 piece paddle as hand luggage as it wouldn't fit in our checked in bags and I didn't want it getting damaged. The Airline check-in desk said that there should be no problem as people are allowed to take extendable walking sticks and crutches on board, but clearly they had not been updated on the new "Protocols" now in place.

Very pissed off, no facility for it going into Lost Property for collection on the way back, or even taking it by Security to the gate and putting it into the hold, like all of the pushchairs and strollers going onto the flight.

Apparently it would be disposed of in the Airport rubbish.......

So someone, somewhere has picked up a very nice paddle for nothing......

Bill, when was this? I work for Sydney Airport. No promises, but I can at least ask and see if it comes up? What airline, flight number and date?

Area10
1508 posts
15 May 2016 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

That's unreal. Couldn't you go back and check it in as luggage?

I put my travel paddle in my (hard shell) suitcase. It cost a fortune.

billwithers
NSW, 2 posts
16 May 2016 6:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mate, but it was over a week ago on my way out.

7th May
VA181

My real beef was the lack of communication between the Check In desk and the the Security screening personnel.
Understand that everyone's a job to do etc.. but if there've been changes then communicate them.

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
16 May 2016 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back with a child's small piece of harmless sporting equipment I was taking O'seas for a friend. Asked the question leading up to going to the airport - all OK. Asked the question at the check in - all OK. Got to security .................Not OK and confiscated. But did manage to arrange for my friend to come and collect it.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
16 May 2016 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

I had a similar issue in Schipol Airport Amsterdam. I picked up two rare 1970’s skateboard deck’s for my collection and hand carried them all the way back from Houston to the Netherlands to be told by Dutch Security as I boarded a plane for the UK that I could not carry them onboard due to being an offensive weapon. After 30 minutes of heated debate and a lengthy lie by me (told her they were for my 8 year old son !!!!) she managed to put them in the hold, phew much relief as they cost me a small fortune.

Phil

carbine
WA, 1440 posts
16 May 2016 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

serious?

this country is slowly losing the plot.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Travel Paddle "Confiscated" by Security at Sydney" started by billwithers