Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Tracking your children

Created by AUS1111 > 9 months ago, 18 May 2016
AUS1111
WA, 3617 posts
18 May 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

The boss reckons we should get the kids one of these each.

I'm a bit weirded out by it - what do you think brains trust? It's kinda a slippery slope isn't it?

fitshoppro.com/products/anti-lost-gps-tracker-watch-for-kids

Razzonater
2224 posts
18 May 2016 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

You can get them an I phone if they are old enough, and install I phone tracker/find my I phone.
I'm against it as I think me kids are to young to have a phone, however the minister for war and finance reckons the below
1) they will always have there I phone with them and never leave it anywhere
2)they won't accidentally "lose it or take it off"
3) a watch as described above will be taken off if they are up to no good
4) if they do get into a scenario they can ring you and dad's there
5) if they don't ring you and get into a scenario dad will be there whether they like it or not........
6) as a contradiction of previous statements I don't want them to develop "trust issues"
7) it's hard to be a prison guard and a parent
8) it's not that I don't trust the kids I don't trust other people/people's values/morals/that there are no sickos

To summarize it's all a tricky slope to slide down and ya damned if you do/or don't
The world has changed since I was a kid and social values and ettiquette aren't as important to other parents as they may be to you......
Personally it is really age dependent and depends on the relationship that you have with your kids.
I was a good kid but still a crafty sneaky little turd at other times there's no way I'd wear that but I would of taken a phone said thanks in a heartbeat.
Whether your transparent their being tracked with them or not is a whole other kettle of fish.......

kernal
WA, 541 posts
18 May 2016 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

If you have to worry about this **** you failed to bring them up in a healthy environment. Ditch the city and find a coastal town. Its not worth the money if you have to track your children

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
18 May 2016 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a mate who's wife constantly tracks him via his iPhone, I think it's a bit strange for an adult to track their partner when there's no suspicion of foul play, she just likes to know when he's in the office or on site visits and asked how particular jobs are going when he gets home.

GPS trackers on the elderly with dementia and the like can be great, an oldie escaped from a nursing home up here recently, he managed to get a couple of kilometres up the road before staff cottoned onto him going for a walk. A GPS tracker had staff picking him up within minutes and returning him back to the facility.

Not sure on tracking kids though? Trust issues, helicopter parents etc. If they're that young you're worried about them then perhaps you should look at the level of supervision you're giving them, if they're a little bit older and you're worried about them getting up to mischief then they'll find an app to bypass you anyway :)

The theory that 'my child could be abducted or molested' etc isn't actually a very strong one. If it's a totally random attack then it's only good after the fact, if it's not a random attack then it's by someone they already know and trust, and it's also only good well afterwards, if at all.

slammin
QLD, 989 posts
19 May 2016 5:58AM
Thumbs Up

My s young teens have phones and the eldest has had 2 cases where it has helped. 1 was his mates broken arm. The other was a weird looking old stereotypical rockspider dude who pulled up at the jumps circuit. My son only had to pretend to talk on his phone and the dude pissed off. Just goes to show you even a brick phone with no sim is a handy tool.

As for the "its not common " argument it was only 6mths ago we had a middle aged dude in a white van on 3 separate occasions try and grab kids. I wonder where he is now???

whippingboy
WA, 1104 posts
19 May 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

Your kids go outside

If I want to know what my sons' up to, I just check his Youtube channel

Cambodge
VIC, 851 posts
19 May 2016 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

The best adventures as a child were when we were miles from home, no one knew where we were and we were back before dark. City, town or country - makes no difference. Stop overthinking this stuff. Jeez. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And, yes, I have two kids - boy and a girl - and it's so satisfying seeing them expand their horizons and their self-confidence grow as they venture further and further from home under their own steam. Self-reliance.

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 May 2016 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookaburrahz said..
If you have to worry about this **** you failed to bring them up in a healthy environment. Ditch the city and find a coastal town. Its not worth the money if you have to track your children

Coastal towns is where all the children go missing, more often, or so it seems.

Loftywinds
QLD, 2060 posts
19 May 2016 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

The alternative to helicopter parenting?

www.essentialkids.com.au/education/school/high-school/the-secret-to-raising-great-teenagers-20160516-gow473

evlPanda
NSW, 9202 posts
19 May 2016 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

I don't understand how this would even work, technically.

I'm sure the watch knows where it is, but how does the watch tell anything else where it is? It would need a SIM or similar.

It has a SIM.

In that case...

This, and using iPhone tracking or whatever, would not work with a smart child, like a teenager. It only shows you where the phone is, making it even easier to pretend you are at your friend's house.

source: used to be a teenager.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
19 May 2016 9:13AM
Thumbs Up

The umbilical cord was cut at birth ...

let the bird fly free.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
19 May 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..
GPS trackers on the elderly with dementia and the like can be great, an oldie escaped from a nursing home up here recently, he managed to get a couple of kilometres up the road before staff cottoned onto him going for a walk. A GPS tracker had staff picking him up within minutes and returning him back to the facility.

they have fake bus stops installed outside nurseing homes where no buses will ever come. completely fabricated with timetables and all. the old kooks like half you lot in a few years do the bolt and sit at the busstop waiting waiting waiting and then the nice men and ladys in white come and take them by the hand and lead them back inside back down the hall and to there room without supper for the evening...

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 May 2016 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kozzie said..

Chris6791 said..

they have fake bus stops installed outside nurseing homes where no buses will ever come. completely fabricated with timetables and all. the old kooks like half you lot in a few years do the bolt and sit at the busstop waiting waiting waiting and then the nice men and ladys in white come and take them by the hand and lead them back inside back down the hall and to there room without supper for the evening...

Sounds more like an urban myth. Maybe there is a bus stop but the busses probably just stopped running after budget cuts.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 May 2016 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slammin said..
My s young teens have phones and the eldest has had 2 cases where it has helped. 1 was his mates broken arm. The other was a weird looking old stereotypical rockspider dude who pulled up at the jumps circuit. My son only had to pretend to talk on his phone and the dude pissed off. Just goes to show you even a brick phone with no sim is a handy tool.

As for the "its not common " argument it was only 6mths ago we had a middle aged dude in a white van on 3 separate occasions try and grab kids. I wonder where he is now???

Ahh the mysterious white van, I'm all for stranger danger and all that but the white van most often appears in the days right after the little kids get a stranger danger lecture at school. As far as sex assaults and child abductions on children (and adults for that matter) the vast majority are done by close family members and relatives. It's technology for the sake of technology that preys on your emotions over-ruling logic to make sales.

If you take the worst case scenario and the recent incident in WA where two little kids were lured away by a complete stranger, if they had a GPS tracker I doubt it would have done anything to deter, prevent or raise alarm until after. It would have helped the police work out what happened afterwards for sure, but it wouldn't have prevented it.

Probably the best value in that watch is a step counter, encourage the kids to move so they're not obese and ending up with type 2 diabetes before they're old enough to drive.

p train
VIC, 2629 posts
19 May 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

They can or someone else can just take the watch off.

You really need to insert secret tracking device under their skin whilst they are in a drug induced sleep. The same way you will take one of their kidneys when the time comes.

Because you care.

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
19 May 2016 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Both my kids have i phones. son 12 and daughter 15.

It means they can have relationships with their grand parents, aunties and uncles who still ring. There generation obviously text and snap and everything else.

All my apple devices have find my i phone. My kids have never lost their phones but one night a mates two daughters both lost theirs at a carols event. Thanks to Find my phone both got them back.

I use the tracking device to find out info. Like when I'm driving home i can see if my son is at the skate park so ill call past their on the way. Instead of having to ring him. I have picked up my daughter from concerts and parked, said just find me on find my phone and walk to me. When coming home on the train, i can see exactly were she is so i can make sure I'm waiting at the station when it arrives, so she doesn't have to stand around or i don't have sit around waiting. Its not spying, its a useful tool.

For people who say its not right, send your kids out to play. Well your kids these days need to have contact. For example last week when a guy turned up at the skate park running around trying to catch kids who he had a grip with, my son rang me straight away and he was picked up. I wasn't quick enough to catch the guy, or the time during the school holidays when a kid pulled a knife and started demanding stuff from others. Times have changed. Last year walking home a car was stalking my daughter and her friends. They ended up dumping their bags and ran for their lives. They were in front of an elderly home and one guy stepped out and went after the car whilst his wife rounded up the girls. She was able to call us to come pick them up and calm them down.

Sorry times have changed and as Razz said, its not your kids that need spying on, its the douche bags you need protection against.

I have been looking into these tracking tiles. Im keen to use them in things like my sons bag or scooter. He is so concerned about theft, he won't even go to the skate park with the go pro. He waits for me to be their as he is worried he will be targeted. The idea though of kids stealing drives me made and id love the ability to track things like bikes, bags and stuff. Has anyone tried them or have any advice

slammin
QLD, 989 posts
19 May 2016 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

No there was no stranger danger lecture and I take advice from the cops seriously. You'd be naive to think it's all make believe.

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
19 May 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

What's wrong with a chain?

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 May 2016 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gorgo said..
What's wrong with a chain?

Suppose your wife never goes missing when shes chained to the kitchen.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 May 2016 1:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cambodge said..
The best adventures as a child were when we were miles from home, no one knew where we were and we were back before dark. City, town or country - makes no difference. Stop overthinking this stuff. Jeez. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. And, yes, I have two kids - boy and a girl - and it's so satisfying seeing them expand their horizons and their self-confidence grow as they venture further and further from home under their own steam. Self-reliance.

unfortunately those days are long gone . No ****ing way would i let my kids do what i did when i was a young kid .

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
19 May 2016 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

When I was around 9, (1993) I used to ride my bike across the Greenough River sand bar and down to Devlins Pool past the ski ramp by myself (Southern Side of the River).

It's remote, just a bush track.

So young so naive.

A lot of bad things happened in Greenough in 1993.. .. so it makes you wonder.

I don't think we are worse as a society, or that much has changed in the past 20 years.

I think its more the access to information has changed, making us all more aware of the boogie monsters out there in society.

That being said I wouldn't allow my future kids to do what I did.

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
19 May 2016 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

93 was a bad year for the area, but nothing has happened since.

ThinkaBowtit
WA, 1134 posts
19 May 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Aus 11, how many people do you know whose kids were abducted, murdered, whatevered?

Put yourself in the kids' shoes. Remember your time growing up, experimenting, pushing boundaries? It's why you are who you are.

Crusoe
QLD, 1192 posts
19 May 2016 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

I suppose they will just take it off when they don't want you to know where they are. Sad to think something like this is needed. Maybe you can get a GPS tracker imbedded under their skin.

As kids we all got out of the house (to avoid getting a chore) and didn't come home until we were hungry or night time. (there was no such thing as pocket money, that was something city slickers got) And if we went somewhere we weren't suppose to go, we got a floggen. The thought of this kept us in line (well sort of). We learn't where the boundaries were and our parent learnt to trust us. Our parents didn't need tracking devices, because we also learnt to respect their rules.

Piv
WA, 372 posts
19 May 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Ummm, is it waterproof and how accuate is it for gps speed sailing. My kids arent fast enough to bother with gps yet

Unhook3d
WA, 467 posts
19 May 2016 9:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jbshack said...

It means they can have relationships with their grand parents, aunties and uncles who still ring. There generation obviously text and snap and everything else.

All my apple devices have find my i phone. My kids have never lost their phones but one night a mates two daughters both lost theirs at a carols event. Thanks to Find my phone both got them back.

I use the tracking device to find out info. Like when I'm driving home i can see if my son is at the skate park so ill call past their on the way. Instead of having to ring him. I have picked up my daughter from concerts and parked, said just find me on find my phone and walk to me. When coming home on the train, i can see exactly were she is so i can make sure I'm waiting at the station when it arrives, so she doesn't have to stand around or i don't have sit around waiting. Its not spying, its a useful tool.

For people who say its not right, send your kids out to play. Well your kids these days need to have contact. For example last week when a guy turned up at the skate park running around trying to catch kids who he had a grip with, my son rang me straight away and he was picked up. I wasn't quick enough to catch the guy, or the time during the school holidays when a kid pulled a knife and started demanding stuff from others. Times have changed. Last year walking home a car was stalking my daughter and her friends. They ended up dumping their bags and ran for their lives. They were in front of an elderly home and one guy stepped out and went after the car whilst his wife rounded up the girls. She was able to call us to come pick them up and calm them down.

Sorry times have changed and as Razz said, its not your kids that need spying on, its the douche bags you need protection against.

I have been looking into these tracking tiles. Im keen to use them in things like my sons bag or scooter. He is so concerned about theft, he won't even go to the skate park with the go pro. He waits for me to be their as he is worried he will be targeted. The idea though of kids stealing drives me made and id love the ability to track things like bikes, bags and stuff. Has anyone tried them or have any advice

Those tracking tiles require to be inside a wifi network so can't track anything once you leave the house I believe.
Currently I don't know of any technology that could track an item like a GoPro other than a matchbox sized GPS tracker. I'm sure it won't be long if not already available.

busterwa
3777 posts
19 May 2016 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

AUS1111 said..

The boss reckons we should get the kids one of these each.

I'm a bit weirded out by it - what do you think brains trust? It's kinda a slippery slope isn't it?

fitshoppro.com/products/anti-lost-gps-tracker-watch-for-kids

40$ saving?

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 May 2016 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

I can loan my missus
She automatically knows I've been to the pub and what I've drunk

jbshack
WA, 6913 posts
20 May 2016 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Unhook3d said..

jbshack said...

Those tracking tiles require to be inside a wifi network so can't track anything once you leave the house I believe.
Currently I don't know of any technology that could track an item like a GoPro other than a matchbox sized GPS tracker. I'm sure it won't be long if not already available.

Yeah they work on bluetooth. Have a range of around 250m and the idea is that if something is registered as stolen, any one with the app who comes into contact or range of the tile will send me the details and location. The issue with that is, how many people have the app

Sadly there has been a lot of kids turning up and just snatching scooters and bags, cameras and phones and then running. (id love to catch the turds). Another reason my son doesn't like to flash his phone around at the park, so by using the find my phone app, i can see if he is there or home..

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
20 May 2016 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AUS1111 said..

Uuummmmm, should I be worried that Markie sent me one of these to wear. He told me it was just a watch.

Mark _australia
WA, 22113 posts
20 May 2016 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

erherr eherrr

how witty.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Tracking your children" started by AUS1111