Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

So called "Keysafe"

Created by Zeusman > 9 months ago, 27 Jun 2016
Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
27 Jun 2016 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hello gang.

Took a drive over to manly today and had a nice surf at the bower. Only myself and one other guy on a SUP out. Fantastic. Got out of the water feeling completely free of any Mondayitis.
I walked back to my car, dropped my board and paddle on the grass nearby, then rolled the 4 digit code into my Keysafe lock, but it didn't open. Double checked that the number was correct.... Yes it was.... Tried again. Still no good. For about 30 minutes I rolled the 4 dials around resetting and trying again to no avail. Reality started setting in. I was stuck across the bridge from home, no car, no phone... No S@#t..... For some reason I tried the door of my car and it was unlocked. Couldn't believe my dumb luck. With that I grabbed my phone and called wife. No answer. Then I called Freshiesup. That legend dropped what he was doing and came to where I was to help. He brought a flat head screw driver and a claw hammer. And with those two basic tools, had pulled apart my lock and retrieved my car key in less than 60 seconds.
Now I know it's a no no to come on here and bag a surf related product, but I think this is an unusual case. Anyone who has one of these needs to know about this. It's a piece of rubbish!

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
27 Jun 2016 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

I've used the same lock for years and never had an issue. Funnily enough, another normal pad lock I use with a combo on it seemed to reset itself recently. I make sure I WD40 mine at regular intervals to ensure it rolls correctly. Take it back to where you got it from. I'm sure they'll look after you.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
27 Jun 2016 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said...
I've used the same lock for years and never had an issue. Funnily enough, another normal pad lock I use with a combo on it seemed to reset itself recently. I make sure I WD40 mine at regular intervals to ensure it rolls correctly. Take it back to where you got it from. I'm sure they'll look after you.

No can do NNSUP. He's out of business. It's ok though. I'm not really interested in getting another one. Just want all to be aware. Don't want anyone to go through that. Was just pure luck that i left the car unlocked.

Clarky
QLD, 290 posts
27 Jun 2016 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

I recently bought a new car and thought about buying one of the key safe locks. I asked insurance company if they were covered if anything happened to which they replied no. they said you are basically telling would be thiefs that the keys to your car are there. I rang up several other companies same deal. Finally found one. Nrma

siny
NSW, 286 posts
27 Jun 2016 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

What's wrong with a price of string

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
27 Jun 2016 7:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
siny said...
What's wrong with a price of string

If you're talking about putting my key on a piece of string around my neck, it's an electronic key. They don't mix well with water.

MarkW81
VIC, 85 posts
27 Jun 2016 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Been using one for years after surfing with a bloke who had hidden his key. Some scubbag found his key, stole his wallet and phone and threw his keys away.

The lock is better than hiding your keys IMO.

siny
NSW, 286 posts
27 Jun 2016 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Leave electronic key locked and hidden in car .get another key that just opens door . Key will cost less that key safe

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
27 Jun 2016 8:00PM
Thumbs Up

Just check if that works as expected. My car has an electronic thingo with a key inside. I forget the exact details but the key is not to be used as a normal key - it is for emergency use only. Sorry to be vague but read your car manual before you rely on it.

bobajob
QLD, 1534 posts
27 Jun 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
siny said..
Leave electronic key locked and hidden in car .get another key that just opens door . Key will cost less that key safe

+1 and take my "surf key" with me in a wettie or boardie pocket with the loop, or leggie pouch.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
27 Jun 2016 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said..

siny said..

+1 and take my "surf key" with me in a wettie or boardie pocket with the loop, or leggie pouch.

I'll be doing that from now on

warwickl
NSW, 2174 posts
27 Jun 2016 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Just post on here what you do and place 2 signs on your car, eg
No cash kept in here and no surf gear

colas
4992 posts
27 Jun 2016 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bobajob said..

siny said..

That's what I do + a little cup of fresh water under the tyre to rinse the key before opening the door...
I am a bit worried of inserting salt water into my van door locks...

RussJohnson
15 posts
28 Jun 2016 4:01AM
Thumbs Up

Ask any locksmith to supply a " surf key " & your set.
It will only open your door.

Slab
1063 posts
28 Jun 2016 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..

bobajob said..

siny said..

That's what I do + a little cup of fresh water under the tyre to rinse the key before opening the door...
I am a bit worried of inserting salt water into my van door locks...

Colas....what you like little cup of fresh water by the tyre. Funny how different folk do diff things. My thing is to always put plastic bags on my feet to help get off my thick wetsuits ....been doing it for years and the wetsuit legs slide off sooooo easily. If I don't then I wrestle and strain to get my wetsuit off my raptor type ankles. Looks odd but it works great.

Mistermister
21 posts
28 Jun 2016 7:23AM
Thumbs Up

Keysafes are to stop honest people who wouldn't flog your car even if you left the keys sitting on the roof.

People who use them are just lucky that the steal to order car thief's didn't have a market for your vehicle or the keysafe was well hidden.

Suspicious that the OP's car turned out to be open and the Keysafe no longer functioned, given that there are no coincidences I would be increasing your home security.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
28 Jun 2016 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookonasup said...
Keysafes are to stop honest people who wouldn't flog your car even if you left the keys sitting on the roof.

People who use them are just lucky that the steal to order car thief's didn't have a market for your vehicle or the keysafe was well hidden.

Suspicious that the OP's car turned out to be open and the Keysafe no longer functioned, given that there are no coincidences I would be increasing your home security.

Hahaha.... What are you saying mate? That I intentionally left my car unlocked and knew that the Keysafe was stuffed in order to creat this thread?
You do know smoking crack is bad for you right?
Hahaha

Mistermister
21 posts
28 Jun 2016 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

kookonasup said...

Hahaha.... What are you saying mate? That I intentionally left my car unlocked and knew that the Keysafe was stuffed in order to creat this thread?
Hahaha

No, definitely not saying you intentionally left your car unlocked.

I am saying they got into the keysafe, then into your car, found your home address and a house key. Then delayed you with the broken keysafe while they went through your house or decided to wait, because someone was home.

I do know that smoking crack is bad for everyone. I don't smoke anything and I work in the most heavily drug tested industry in Australia with no positive returns in 20years and sometimes I am tested so many times each day I have trouble supplying enough piss.

I apologize if I offended you, crime has become more innovative and your car being unlocked with the keysafe damaged reminded me of similar situations that I have had to deal with.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
28 Jun 2016 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookonasup said...
Zeusman said..

kookonasup said...

Hahaha

No, definitely not saying you intentionally left your car unlocked.

I am saying they got into the keysafe, then into your car, found your home address and a house key. Then delayed you with the broken keysafe while they went through your house or decided to wait, because someone was home.

I do know that smoking crack is bad for everyone. I don't smoke anything and I work in the most heavily drug tested industry in Australia with no positive returns in 20years and sometimes I am tested so many times each day I have trouble supplying enough piss.

I apologize if I offended you, crime has become more innovative and your car being unlocked with the keysafe damaged reminded me of similar situations that I have had to deal with.

No I'm not offended mate. Was just having a laugh. And I can assure you my car and Keysafe were not broken into. The car was unlocked because I forgot to lock it and the Keysafe lock mechanism just failed when I clicked it shut.

I also wasn't actually accusing you of smoking crack either. Just my sense of humour. Like you, I work in a heavily tested profession too. Aviation. Never returned a positive either

burleighlocal
255 posts
28 Jun 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

You will find the same goes for the lockable roofrack straps..if any theif is determined he/she will get what they want.

colas
4992 posts
28 Jun 2016 1:50PM
Thumbs Up

This topic made me look for keysafes with a key, not a combination lock... but alas, this do not seem to exist?

Could be a good solution, if the lock rusts with salt water, just get another, less hassle than changing your car locks.

"the keysafe was well hidden" ... there is an idea there: put an empty keysafe somewhere plainly visible as a decoy :-)

Jimmy29
38 posts
28 Jun 2016 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Or, you could get an aquapac, put the string round your neck & tuck it down the back of your wettie, I don't notice mine when I do that, then you can take your electronic key with you when you surf & no risk of salt water in car locks or key safes getting broken into

www.aquapac.fr/aquapac_2015_041.htm

Stev0
419 posts
28 Jun 2016 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Well whatever you do don't do the old 'put the car key in the front suspension' as that is how I got my car stolen in broad day light at a busy beach car park! I got that car back minus my windsurfing gear and police caught the mother****er but the insurance company were very interested in knowing how the thief had my car keys! Pretty awkward that conversation. I use a Lock Box now which makes it a bit harder than just plucking the keys out from the suspension and driving off.

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
28 Jun 2016 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

this prompted me to post about my Nissan keyless entry system. For two years I have been locking the car via the electronic fob and placing the key in the keysafe on the roof rack. I found out a few weeks ago the door will still unlock with the small black button under the door handle as the fob is still in range of the car !!!!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
29 Jun 2016 5:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stev0 said...
Well whatever you do don't do the old 'put the car key in the front suspension' as that is how I got my car stolen in broad day light at a busy beach car park! I got that car back minus my windsurfing gear and police caught the mother****er but the insurance company were very interested in knowing how the thief had my car keys! Pretty awkward that conversation. I use a Lock Box now which makes it a bit harder than just plucking the keys out from the suspension and driving off.

I had the same thing happen years ago with my old car. Bondi beach car park. They just moved the car to the back of the car park. The old ticket office must've scared them out of trying to take the car out. I sold it a few weeks later to some French backpackers.

kitemantim
146 posts
29 Jun 2016 4:59AM
Thumbs Up

Like any security device, when you have windows if someone wants to get in they will, auto centre punch against the side panel windows works really well.

Like others use to put the key under car and lost one car, luckily got it back 3 weeks later, also had to spend $100's on changing all the locks on the house.

Use a key lock but like the pictures the cheap ones don't take long to open

have the master lock one now which is bigger and more expensive, but doubt I could breaking in in 60 seconds.

Well worth looking at quality. Look at the master lock 5414EURD, its about $80 AU

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
29 Jun 2016 7:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
This topic made me look for keysafes with a key, not a combination lock... but alas, this do not seem to exist?

Could be a good solution, if the lock rusts with salt water, just get another, less hassle than changing your car locks.

"the keysafe was well hidden" ... there is an idea there: put an empty keysafe somewhere plainly visible as a decoy :-)

sounds a little like Mr Bean, locking a key inside a case to then find yourself with another key to deal with

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
29 Jun 2016 7:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rossall said..
this prompted me to post about my Nissan keyless entry system. For two years I have been locking the car via the electronic fob and placing the key in the keysafe on the roof rack. I found out a few weeks ago the door will still unlock with the small black button under the door handle as the fob is still in range of the car !!!!!!

you may be able to de-activate that button sensor

kitemantim
146 posts
29 Jun 2016 5:14AM
Thumbs Up

Re the Nissan issue have the same problem on the Kia sportage, but found that using a key safe on the front tow eye worked as the sensors for keyless entry were near the doors and rear.

Try that it may work

Gorgo
VIC, 4917 posts
29 Jun 2016 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

I bought new Subaru with keyless entry. You can disable the keyless entry and enter a pin number to get into the car. No need for a surf key.

Even if a crook got into your car and found the key, they would have to know how to activate it

It does feel very odd locking the car without checking for the surf key around my neck.

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
29 Jun 2016 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

Not the most comfortable .....but this is what I use around my neck

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"So called "Keysafe"" started by Zeusman