Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Deep Longboard style sup?

Created by burleighlocal > 9 months ago, 11 Jul 2016
burleighlocal
255 posts
11 Jul 2016 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

anyone ridden one?..and can offer some deep feedback?

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
11 Jul 2016 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

I have recently acquired a Deep 10'1" x 28.5" and although yet to get it out on some decent juice, the few waves that I have managed have been very encouraging.
I had it made to fill the hole left by my 10'6" Nalu, but wanted to go shorter and narrower. Found the Nalu a tad corky.
It is the lowest volume longboard I have had and I love it. Currently running GL1 sides and a smaller shaper S7 centre. It is very nimble, and the newer construction from Deep using carbon in the Vac bagged layup makes it nice and light.
I am ashamed to say I haven't used any of my other boards since it showed up.....

burleighlocal
255 posts
11 Jul 2016 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

I have recently acquired a Deep 10'1" x 28.5" and although yet to get it out on some decent juice, the few waves that I have managed have been very encouraging.
I had it made to fill the hole left by my 10'6" Nalu, but wanted to go shorter and narrower. Found the Nalu a tad corky.
It is the lowest volume longboard I have had and I love it. Currently running GL1 sides and a smaller shaper S7 centre. It is very nimble, and the newer construction from Deep using carbon in the Vac bagged layup makes it nice and light.
I am ashamed to say I haven't used any of my other boards since it showed up.....

Brenno what is the volume on the Deep? and what was the volume on your Nalu?

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
11 Jul 2016 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said...
Brenno said..

Around 120 i'd reckon. Definitely under my "norm" of 130. I'd have to ask to make sure. The nalu was 160 from memory.

Lucyloo
VIC, 139 posts
11 Jul 2016 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Geez they make a great looking longboard,looks like you could prone paddle that and do the buisness,def be looking at Deep if i replace my mal sup for sure.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
11 Jul 2016 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

This is mine 10.1 x 28.5 x 3 7/8... Cracker of a board, super strong and turns really nice off the tail... I could have gone narrower but my wife using the board too so I kept it comfortable....

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
11 Jul 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said...

It is very nimble, and the newer construction from Deep using carbon in the Vac bagged layup makes it nice and light.

When did they start doing a bagged carbon construction?
Any idea roughly how much lighter it is than the non bagged?

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
11 Jul 2016 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Deep have been offering various constrcution methods for a while now. That is, they dont just build all their boards one way. Vacuum bagging being one of them. Simon is always trying new methods, glasses etc on his own boards.

Here is my current board:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-OceanBoards-10ft-Log/

I also have "one in the oven" down at DEEP currently. I went lighter (current board I got made heavy on purpose) I went thinner, especially at nose and tail, I stayed the same width, but played with the outline a little.

Manufacture and finsih are top notch.

Deep SUPS surf very well and not suprising givin the amount of SUP boards SImon has made and surfed himself, including making for the likes of Jacson Close and getting his feedback

Service is top notch and has always been as stated.

If your are serious, give SImon a call, im sure you wont be disapointed.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
11 Jul 2016 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mrsdc78 said...
Brenno said...

It is very nimble, and the newer construction from Deep using carbon in the Vac bagged layup makes it nice and light.

My understanding is that the vacuum bagged construction is heavier... Around 1kg on an 8 foot Sup, recommended for guys over 85 kg....I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
11 Jul 2016 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said...
Deep have been offering various constrcution methods for a while now. That is, they dont just build all their boards one way. Vacuum bagging being one of them. Simon is always trying new methods, glasses etc on his own boards.

Here is my current board:

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/DEEP-OceanBoards-10ft-Log/

I also have "one in the oven" down at DEEP currently. I went lighter (current board I got made heavy on purpose) I went thinner, especially at nose and tail, I stayed the same width, but played with the outline a little.

Manufacture and finsih are top notch.

Deep SUPS surf very well and not suprising givin the amount of SUP boards SImon has made and surfed himself, including making for the likes of Jacson Close and getting his feedback

Service is top notch and has always been as stated.

If your are serious, give SImon a call, im sure you wont be disapointed.

+1
I have 5 deep boards now. Some people joke and pay me out asking if i'm keeping them in business.
I simply worked with Simon to combine what i liked about the pop outs i was enjoying, but with bullet proof construction and real surfing know how.
Boards for all conditions. For lumps like me that are hard on the gear, but occasionally get their game on.
Short and square, short and traditional, traditional with width, long with a big ar5e, and now, long and sleek.
My harem.
And none of them complain......

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Loz79 said...
mrsdc78 said...
Brenno said...

My understanding is that the vacuum bagged construction is heavier... Around 1kg on an 8 foot Sup, recommended for guys over 85 kg....I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure

I thought they did a carbon innegra construction or a vacuum bagged non carbon innegra construction. This is the first time I've heard of them doing a vacuum bagged carbon innegra construction.

I've got a deep 10'0" X 28.5" in the carbon innegra myself. Will be ordering a new one soon and going a couple of inches narrower and a bit thinner. Was just wondering if they had started doing a newer construction since i had bought my 28.5".

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

How do you find stability on this sitting out the back especially with a bit of wind or movement in the water?

I'm just about to get a new one made up myself. I'm dropping down from 28.5 wide. Was originally thinking around 27 wide but would prefer to go closer to 26 if it's not too tippy. I'm 75 kg and 5'10 myself.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mrsdc78 said...
Loz79 said...
mrsdc78 said...
Brenno said...

I thought they did a carbon innegra construction or a vacuum bagged non carbon innegra construction. This is the first time I've heard of them doing a vacuum bagged carbon innegra construction.

I've got a deep 10'0" X 28.5" in the carbon innegra myself. Will be ordering a new one soon and going a couple of inches narrower and a bit thinner. Was just wondering if they had started doing a newer construction since i had bought my 28.5".

Just what i was told bro. Picked it up, twirled it around and went whoa, this is super light. Been smacking it with my paddle as per usual and not a mark. Like it. A lot.
Oh, for 27 wide or 26. At my 100 kegs 28.5 is very very surfable. And do-able. Stable due to shape and lower volume. Side chop at the rails and water over the top rather than tipping the board from side to side. Takes a few sessions but much prefer it than bobbing around like a cork.

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
11 Jul 2016 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah I believe you Brenno. I know you've got a number of their boards so you would know better than most if it felt light. It's just the first time I've heard of them doing that construction so just making sure I'm understanding you correctly. It sounds good because I always thought the standard carbon innegra felt more mid weight than lightweight and would have liked something lighter but with the strength of the carbon innegra still.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
12 Jul 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
mrsdc78 said...

How do you find stability on this sitting out the back especially with a bit of wind or movement in the water?

I'm just about to get a new one made up myself. I'm dropping down from 28.5 wide. Was originally thinking around 27 wide but would prefer to go closer to 26 if it's not too tippy. I'm 75 kg and 5'10 myself.

Fine. I'm 6.1 85kg. Yeah I fall off it usually when I'm day dreaming etc. you do have more rail in and under water but you get use to it. At this length id never go back to 27 or wider (unless due to injury or such)

Scottydc
NSW, 73 posts
12 Jul 2016 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said...
mrsdc78 said...

Fine. I'm 6.1 85kg. Yeah I fall off it usually when I'm day dreaming etc. you do have more rail in and under water but you get use to it. At this length id never go back to 27 or wider (unless due to injury or such)

Ok, that makes me think I should be pretty safe going 26'0" at my weight then. Cheers

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
12 Jul 2016 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

burleighlocal said...

Brenno said..

Around 120 i'd reckon. Definitely under my "norm" of 130. I'd have to ask to make sure. The nalu was 160 from memory.

What does it weigh Brenno?

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
12 Jul 2016 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said...
Brenno said..

burleighlocal said...

Brenno said..

Let you know Zman. I'm far away from her paying for my folly. I'll give her a hug on the scales when i get home and tell you then....

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
13 Jul 2016 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said...
Zeusman said...
Brenno said..

burleighlocal said...

Brenno said..

Let you know Zman. I'm far away from her paying for my folly. I'll give her a hug on the scales when i get home and tell you then....

Haha.... Sweet

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
13 Jul 2016 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Brenno said...

Zeusman said...

Brenno said..

burleighlocal said...

Brenno said..

Haha.... Sweet

Sorry to hijack!!...Mine is the Lightweight Carbon innegra model, 10.1 x 28.5 x 3 7/8 and weighs in at just on 10kg with fins and almost fun length deckpad....

Sfox
QLD, 24 posts
13 Jul 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Go 26".....

I have the twin to LOZ79 and when I got the 28.5"wide I thought at the time it was getting pretty narrow, I recon if I get another it will be 26 as the 28.5 is very stable in all conditions. I did upgrade my short SUP a couple of months after getting the 10.1 to DEEP 8.0x28x4. After riding the 8.0 and getting the 10.1 out it is super stable.....

I got my first real good waves on it at the alley on new years day this year with it turning great off the tail and it handled running to the nose too.... I have been running standard Deep front fins with a 6.5" FCS Kai Salis as the rear.

I've had it about 10 months and used it heaps and caught heaps of waves and it is still looks like I just bought it, great construction..... Most of the waves it has been used in has been small with the odd decent waves like the alley, laceys and Agnes point.

Once you go DEEP you don't go back................

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
13 Jul 2016 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Agree the new style 10 noserider boards give another level of fun back to the mal days.
I have an ECS Noserider 10 x 28.5 and 9kg.
The other day for got my paddle - no problems just surfed it as a mal and had fun

warwickl
NSW, 2173 posts
13 Jul 2016 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Why no deck grip on these boards to the nose -
JL Striker does.
Is wax better?

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
13 Jul 2016 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

Great looking board Brenno.......nice deck grip job.

I've had my 10'1" x 4" x 30" for about 9 months and like you haven't ridden anything else since I got it Not ashamed tho....love it
Tried the 28.5" last weekend and it surfed really well, but was really happy with my 30" in comparison.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
13 Jul 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said...
JL Striker does.
Is wax better?

Wax is lighter, I like it up the front of the board, I tried a fully waxed short sup and didn't like it, too slippery for me....personal preference I guess....the 10 footer is shown here next to my 8.2....

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
13 Jul 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..
JL Striker does.
Is wax better?

I use wax on 3 of 4 of my boards now. I have 3 customs and one production. Much prefer the wax.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
14 Jul 2016 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

No deck pad/grip on my 10.0, just wax.

Stopped by DEEP today and my new sled is looking SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
15 Jul 2016 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Beautiful looking boards from Deep.
I know this is a thread about Deep Longboard SUPs, however I'd like to share my custom 10'6" on here. She surfs even better than she looks too!
Customs are definitely the way to go!

Last pic is the man who made my beautiful cruiser. Mick Slatery.

Kami
1566 posts
15 Jul 2016 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

I love the Twinzer set of fins dressing up fine the nice hips of this board , probably better to ride that board with those fins rather than a single one or 2+1. Tell me about later on , please Zeusman.

burleighlocal
255 posts
15 Jul 2016 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..
I know this is a thread about Deep Longboard SUPs, however I'd like to share my custom 10'6" on here. She surfs even better than she looks too!

Zeusman..don"t hold back..dimensions and volume?

Looks a bit more volume and width up on the nose than most of the Deep boards shown here.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
15 Jul 2016 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
burleighlocal said...
Zeusman said..

Zeusman..don"t hold back..dimensions and volume?

Looks a bit more volume and width up on the nose than most of the Deep boards shown here.

It's 10'6" x 30" x 4.25" volume is about 135 I think?? Weighs 9.6kg
Wanted it to be a comfortable platform with a thin, wide nose and nice thin tail. Absolutely love it!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Deep Longboard style sup?" started by burleighlocal