Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

at what point do you switch stance catching waves?

Created by Mark _australia > 9 months ago, 13 Aug 2016
boundeast
124 posts
18 Aug 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

like the switch stance in the beginning--that's what i've been fooling with--lets me paddle toe side whichever way i turn to catch the wave

and, yeah, catch the wave, be safe, and whatever works is fine

if youre flailing and not getting waves, consider making changes

but if youve evolved an approach which works for you (and is safe for others around you), and you catch the waves you go for, what's to change?

vanilla
42 posts
19 Aug 2016 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

I switch stance at the woohoo, I'm going for a ride on a wave moment.

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
19 Aug 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

did not mean to offend zuesman, like i said you got the wave so you won!
was just pointing out you turned super early and because you did you were nose toward shore early so had to change sides to re-position yourself waiting for the wave to get to you.
everyone gets onto a wave differently, and as i was saying watch and learn and then work out what works for you and ur board.
ride on

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
19 Aug 2016 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Paddling in surf stance

Nice short clip here:

Gboots
NSW, 1314 posts
19 Aug 2016 12:12PM
Thumbs Up

Paddling in surf stance

Nice short clip here:

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
19 Aug 2016 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAUTION said..
did not mean to offend zuesman, like i said you got the wave so you won!
was just pointing out you turned super early and because you did you were nose toward shore early so had to change sides to re-position yourself waiting for the wave to get to you.
everyone gets onto a wave differently, and as i was saying watch and learn and then work out what works for you and ur board.
ride on

All good mate. I wasn't really offended. Just found it amusing. Takes a lot more than that to upset this ugly mug.

MickPC
8266 posts
20 Aug 2016 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

I switch stance after I break my chair

TheGoodDr
SA, 216 posts
21 Aug 2016 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CAUTION said..
Mark (and others)
this is one of the most important steps to sup wave riding. can take a while to get right, and every board is diffrerent.
Biggest thing i found when learnign and also seeing others learn now is the feel you need to paddle so much to get onto a wave. you shouldnt.
You need to learn to swing into a wave, and do it with not many strokes.
things to learn - when on flat water or waiting for sets, practice paddling in circles. do it on both sides, see how least amount of strokes to get board around. try weighting rear foot to get her round more. try changing front foot somewhat toward middle of board more into surf stance. then try putting ur back foot back a foot to get that board round quick. this not only teaches you how to get the board round but is also great for balance.
in reality id say 2-5 strokes max to get board around and only if you are either too far out or a fat wave should you need more to get onto a wave and going.

points to consider when paddling:
what feels comfy for paddling around. for me, front foot paralel with stringer bout 2/3 between stringer and rail, heel just in front of handle, rear foot about 45 degrees, toes just behind handle. when paddling onto wave i either stick with this or start to move my front foot further toward stringer and depending on fatness of wave sometimes further forward, sometimes if i need to get round quick or take steeper drop rear foot back a bit and getting closer to stringer. only small increments of movement while paddling getting board around. then when onto wave (not too early, common mistate) front foot back to back foot and back foot back, how far depends on wave and how extreme you wanna ride. you wanna turn hard n smack lips get back, you wanna cruise or make a section forward a foot. bigger boards will need rear foot to move about rail to rail and forward and back.
after paddling like this on short boards even if i jump on a big tug boat i cant go back to paralel stance, it just feels awkward to the body.
bend knees, bend upper body from the hips. paddling should come from the legs. hamstrings, glutes, quads. learn to engage them, not just standing tall and using upper body. you will tire and or tear urself and look like a goonie. lower yourself and get ur COG down.
paddle vert. work on it. its harder with wider boards, but reach. millions of vids on the net.
short strokes, reach forward, never go past toes. short strokes, save ur rails and ur body and energy.
i woudlnt say im a brilliant paddler, but i find writing this out helps me remember things i think about when i am paddling, and have done so via reading and watching others. hopefully this helps.

so supthecreek showed some good skills of backside paddlign, yep awesoem man but i would say for learnign to get onto waves, prob best to work on going in paddlign on ur toe side. you will feel more comfortable and stable going around that way. i still feel goonie going round on my heel side after 3 years. but hey try it, like i said practice paddling in circles both sides. i recon it is the most crucial to learn.

enjoy. hope it helps.
big props to Eric from Paddlewoo - some great info on his blog. hopefully he doesnt fade out and keeps up the good work.

Well explained Caution......I agree with what you've said. I think you have nailed it.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
21 Aug 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TheGoodDr said...
CAUTION said..
Mark (and others)
this is one of the most important steps to sup wave riding. can take a while to get right, and every board is diffrerent.
Biggest thing i found when learnign and also seeing others learn now is the feel you need to paddle so much to get onto a wave. you shouldnt.
You need to learn to swing into a wave, and do it with not many strokes.
things to learn - when on flat water or waiting for sets, practice paddling in circles. do it on both sides, see how least amount of strokes to get board around. try weighting rear foot to get her round more. try changing front foot somewhat toward middle of board more into surf stance. then try putting ur back foot back a foot to get that board round quick. this not only teaches you how to get the board round but is also great for balance.
in reality id say 2-5 strokes max to get board around and only if you are either too far out or a fat wave should you need more to get onto a wave and going.

points to consider when paddling:
what feels comfy for paddling around. for me, front foot paralel with stringer bout 2/3 between stringer and rail, heel just in front of handle, rear foot about 45 degrees, toes just behind handle. when paddling onto wave i either stick with this or start to move my front foot further toward stringer and depending on fatness of wave sometimes further forward, sometimes if i need to get round quick or take steeper drop rear foot back a bit and getting closer to stringer. only small increments of movement while paddling getting board around. then when onto wave (not too early, common mistate) front foot back to back foot and back foot back, how far depends on wave and how extreme you wanna ride. you wanna turn hard n smack lips get back, you wanna cruise or make a section forward a foot. bigger boards will need rear foot to move about rail to rail and forward and back.
after paddling like this on short boards even if i jump on a big tug boat i cant go back to paralel stance, it just feels awkward to the body.
bend knees, bend upper body from the hips. paddling should come from the legs. hamstrings, glutes, quads. learn to engage them, not just standing tall and using upper body. you will tire and or tear urself and look like a goonie. lower yourself and get ur COG down.
paddle vert. work on it. its harder with wider boards, but reach. millions of vids on the net.
short strokes, reach forward, never go past toes. short strokes, save ur rails and ur body and energy.
i woudlnt say im a brilliant paddler, but i find writing this out helps me remember things i think about when i am paddling, and have done so via reading and watching others. hopefully this helps.

so supthecreek showed some good skills of backside paddlign, yep awesoem man but i would say for learnign to get onto waves, prob best to work on going in paddlign on ur toe side. you will feel more comfortable and stable going around that way. i still feel goonie going round on my heel side after 3 years. but hey try it, like i said practice paddling in circles both sides. i recon it is the most crucial to learn.

enjoy. hope it helps.
big props to Eric from Paddlewoo - some great info on his blog. hopefully he doesnt fade out and keeps up the good work.

Well explained Caution......I agree with what you've said. I think you have nailed it.

+1
Great thread.
Had 2 boards out today, 8'8" traditional shape, and 8'0" "rectangle".
After reading all the advice here and checking out paddlewoo, I tried many small changes to my stance. I'm a lump so even a small change makes a big difference.
I found the "semi surf stance" that caution talks about here, that erik has photos of on paddlewoo, made a big difference to fore aft stability and turning on to a wave on the traditional shape.
Bit harder to tell on ye ole minion (not helped by a bellowing onshore) but I'll keep on playing with it.
After reading through these replies again tonight, I'll have more to work on tomorrow......

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
21 Aug 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Youve all got it wrong

You dont eva move your feet

Now watch this and learn

Bahahaha

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
21 Aug 2016 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tha dogman said...
Youve all got it wrong

Now watch this and learn

Bahahaha

Haha. The poo "stance" vid again!

tiggerferret
WA, 29 posts
21 Aug 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tha dogman said...
Youve all got it wrong

Now watch this and learn

Bahahaha

Luke Egan
washed up pro surfer

Classic

supthecreek
2585 posts
21 Aug 2016 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Kyron is the best. "My brain doesn't work on any level, so....."

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
26 Aug 2016 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Mark,
This has been helping me a lot lately

http://paddlewoo.com/different-stances-use/

My standard stance has been 2.Semi Parallel Stance, but recently I have been trying what Erik calls the 3.Normal Paddle Stance.
I have found it a lot more stable, especially on wider, shorter boards for side to side stability. I don't put my front foot quite as close to the centre as the photo shows, but having the back foot splayed with toes pointing to the rail really helps.
I tried it in some absolute crap yesterday arvo, and it works a treat. Good for turning more quickly on to a wave too!

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
26 Aug 2016 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Isn't Freshie on the North (Paradise) side Zeusman!! Have you been conducting raids on our waves and women again!! Remember what happens to car locks!!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Aug 2016 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Smash1 said...
Zeusman said..

Isn't Freshie on the North (Paradise) side Zeusman!! Have you been conducting raids on our waves and women again!! Remember what happens to car locks!!!!

Hahaha.... What can I say. Sometimes the forbidden fruit must be tasted

hbeat98
QLD, 45 posts
27 Aug 2016 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

A bit off topic Greenroom but what is the tune in your vid mate?

shoodbegood
VIC, 873 posts
27 Aug 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tiggerferret said..

tha dogman said...
Youve all got it wrong

Now watch this and learn

Bahahaha

Luke Egan