Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Dead Whale at Wedge point - Shark Alert

Created by Super-Stu > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2009
doggie
WA, 15849 posts
10 Jun 2009 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yea I thought about setting it on fire as well, bit of petrol ect, the people that like up their might do it sooner rather later, than wait for the offical word.

SMG
QLD, 208 posts
10 Jun 2009 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

There's no point trying to tow it back out to see in that condition - it already looks like it's too far decomposed... it's would just end up in a nice big pool of sloshy whale goo I saw a Fresh beached Blue whale last year, it was a massive gas bubble waiting to blow!!

To bury it, you'd have to find a really isolated area... I've heard of whales being buried on the beach, then several years later, people going for a leisurely walk stumble over the grave site and fall in - the result of the carcass breaking down and leaving an empty bubble like trap under the sand...

Good luck - and watch your step!

Super-Stu
WA, 16 posts
10 Jun 2009 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi SMG

the picture from Greenlander is not the same whale YET!! And I think the people living in wedge eventually would just chuck a match on it due to the stench they would have to smell every second, not to good for enviroment I suppose. Greenland made a good point and described it perfectly as to how bad a smell this thing will become.

Hi landyatch - great idea with converting the oil. It would run a fair few cars.. Bags not melting down.. Deeesgustin.

BTW DEC in Jurien bay still have not call me back..

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
10 Jun 2009 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

A whale skeleton is the main centrepiece in our local maritime museum...people will pay a pretty penny for a whole skeleton...

...get out ya bonin' knife & face-mask & get into it!

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
10 Jun 2009 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

nebbian said...

Ambergris
wrong whale.comes from the stomach of sperm whales. thought to be the conentrated remains of giant squid beaks

Fraggle
WA, 72 posts
10 Jun 2009 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Fraggle
WA, 72 posts
10 Jun 2009 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Beached as bro !!!

davomaaayte
1 posts
10 Jun 2009 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

I think the Pecker has a valid point there. If an incident and or fatality does occur in the next 6 to 8 months then fingers will start to be pointed. Best to be safe than sorry I think.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
11 Jun 2009 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

big gill said...

couldnt find the video but why not just blow it up like them americans did a few years back??????? semmed to work aye??

You mean this one - it's gold!

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
11 Jun 2009 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

davomaaayte said...

I think the Pecker has a valid point there. If an incident and or fatality does occur in the next 6 to 8 months then fingers will start to be pointed. Best to be safe than sorry I think.

Chillout davomaaaayte, the poo was just taking the p!ss. This is lighthearted discussion

pooman
WA, 293 posts
11 Jun 2009 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

davomaaayte said...

Woah! ease up turbo...why so serious?

For the record I support the removal of it for the sake of the locals. But obviously DEC has their reasons, and it is a f**k off big whale after all.

I was merely poking fun at peckers choice of words and reference to JAWS "Wait patiently for you to tread water". And his statement that people "will be eaten" if it's not removed, as if sharks aren't in the area anyway, and the prospect of a shark attack is never present when you enter the water anywhere along our coast.

I for one are going to go and watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in preparation for my next surf. Those sneaky ninja sharks aren't going to catch me by surprise I'll be ready!!

Welcome btw...and great first post too!

Poida
WA, 1914 posts
11 Jun 2009 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

someone told me that in Bunbury they blew a whale carcus up, but got a bit excited with the amount of explosives. whale guts went everywhere.

At yanchep I think the locals all chopped the whale carcus up

Sorrento the whale was struggling to be lifted and fit inot the semi.

Hope they can shift it, there's enough sharks there without the burley.
Wheres the locals when you need them?

Pecker
WA, 11 posts
11 Jun 2009 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

pooman said...

davomaaayte said...

For the record I support the removal of it for the sake of the locals. But obviously DEC has their reasons, and it is a f**k off big whale after all.

I was merely poking fun at peckers choice of words and reference to JAWS "Wait patiently for you to tread water". And his statement that people "will be eaten" if it's not removed, as if sharks aren't in the area anyway, and the prospect of a shark attack is never present when you enter the water anywhere along our coast.

I for one are going to go and watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in preparation for my next surf. Those sneaky ninja sharks aren't going to catch me by surprise I'll be ready!!

Yo guys, please don't take some of my comments too literally, the obvious ones that is! When I write something like..."the sharks will come up and eat", I am just having a laugh. Hope you can share my sense of humour?

pooman
WA, 293 posts
11 Jun 2009 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Pecker said...

pooman said...

davomaaayte said...

Yo guys, please don't take some of my comments too literally, the obvious ones that is! When I write something like..."the sharks will come up and eat", I am just having a laugh. Hope you can share my sense of humour?

yeh man I'm only poking fun, its all good. You and Davo are welcome to come around and watch CTHD with me, I even have Death Match, we can learn how to poke wholes in paper walls together.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
11 Jun 2009 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Super-Stu said...

Hi SMG

the picture from Greenlander is not the same whale YET!! And I think the people living in wedge eventually would just chuck a match on it due to the stench they would have to smell every second, not to good for enviroment I suppose. Greenland made a good point and described it perfectly as to how bad a smell this thing will become.

Hi landyatch - great idea with converting the oil. It would run a fair few cars.. Bags not melting down.. Deeesgustin.

BTW DEC in Jurien bay still have not call me back..

had a mate who would carve big chunks off any whales he found on fishing trips and woul hang them up out in the sun for years . the oil would drip out into a can , and we would go and help ourselves to it when going to the coast fishing. the smell does actually go away If the tin filled up he would tip it straight into the fuel tank of his ute.
apparently spermwhale head case oil is the really good stuff, very popular for aircraft engine oil in WW2. It used to be used mainly for lighthouses and rich peoples lamps . Top of the list is Beluga head case oil as it is the only oil that doesnt freeze in a vacuum. The whole Space industry relies upon the stuff even today

Super-Stu
WA, 16 posts
11 Jun 2009 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hahaha

Found this on the net.

"BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Whale explodes in Taiwanese city —

A dead sperm whale has exploded while being delivered to a research centre near the southwestern city of Tainan. Passers-by and cars were soaked in blood and body parts were sprayed over a road after the bursting of the whale, which was being carried on a trailer.

The whale had died earlier on a beach and had been collected so its remains could be used for educational purposes. A marine biologist blamed the explosion on pressure from gases building up in the mammal as it began to decompose.

The whale attracted a lot of onlookers both before and after it exploded. This blood and other stuff that blew out on the road is disgusting, and the smell is really awful. Several parked cars and pedestrians got covered in blood when it exploded."

AusMoz
QLD, 1389 posts
11 Jun 2009 9:01PM
Thumbs Up

So many dead whales, japanese restaurants can't keep up!!!

big gill
WA, 649 posts
11 Jun 2009 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

GalahOnTheBay said...

big gill said...

couldnt find the video but why not just blow it up like them americans did a few years back??????? semmed to work aye??

You mean this one - it's gold!

yeah thats the one hahahahahahahhahahaa gets me every time ahhahahahahhaha

NR
WA, 516 posts
17 Jun 2009 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Any more updates on this ?

westhammer
WA, 502 posts
17 Jun 2009 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

Its decayed more over the last two weeks and the scent is attracting wild cats from far afield.

doggie
WA, 15849 posts
17 Jun 2009 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

Locals must be gettin p!ssed off, lucky its been off shore alot!!

Super-Stu
WA, 16 posts
17 Jun 2009 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Update--

DEC in Jurien bay have said its upto DEC in perth now and the director in perth will make a decision soon. In addition the Minister for enviroment office will reply formally in writting to me soon.

A whole lot of soons.

I will track down a name for the director tommorrow.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
17 Jun 2009 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Super-Stu said...

Hahaha

is it my imagination or is this spermwhale laughing

kk
WA, 940 posts
17 Jun 2009 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

Super-Stu said...

Hahaha

is it my imagination or is this spermwhale laughing

he's laughing he's gut off

Pecker
WA, 11 posts
18 Jun 2009 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

My mate Juzzo and I took a trip to the Mindarie Marina just this monday gone. Upon arrival, we both noticed a whole lot of people standing at the top looking down at the surf. Walking over to have a look, everyone was out of the water, mostly bodyboarders. Two surfers were paddling out with one surfer on the beach yelling 'get the **** out of the water, theres a shark!!!!'

Apparently whilst paddling, this surfer was bumped off his board by a white pointer. Didn't bite him luckily. A bodyboarder yelled out 'SHARK' and everyone exited stage straight ahead to the shore. He is one lucky fella!!!!!! There was a bit of uneasiness for a while. No-one ventured out again after that episode. The man cracked a tinny and thanked himself lucky and yarned away with his mates.

SteveWhite
1 posts
1 Jul 2009 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey, Can someone give me an update on the situation please, is this still an issue?

S

Elroy Jetson
WA, 706 posts
1 Jul 2009 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

The storms have changed the shape of the point. The part of the point that it was on has been reclaimed by the sea.

The whale has floated over to the south side of the point opposite the island.

There is a DEC sign giving information about the size, age, when it died and type of whale. It also says that the whale will decompose after 10 weeks (confident statement since it has been there for over 5 weeks already!)...

The refracted waves from the storm on the weekend were moving it around on the spot.

We were told by a fisho friend that the whale had a large fire burning on top of it last Saturday night. Anyway the whale was still there the next morning.

It was washing around where the opposing refracted waves join up. It seemed unlikely to us that the dead whale will move back out and down the coast.

Danger Mouse
WA, 592 posts
2 Jul 2009 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

nebbian said...

Ambergris
wrong whale.comes from the stomach of sperm whales. thought to be the conentrated remains of giant squid beaks

Actually thought to be produced by the whale's biliary system to coat sharp objects like squid beaks as they pass through the intestinal system.

D

General
WA, 471 posts
2 Jul 2009 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

does the beast smell? was planning on camping up there this weekend

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Dead Whale at Wedge point - Shark Alert" started by Super-Stu