VIC, 1124 posts
3 Jul 2010 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

i spoke to the pros last night and they said any possi will do

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7911 posts
3 Jul 2010 9:35AM
Thumbs Up

3 pages and I still don't think anyone has answered the original question ..Is the 1/3rd measured along the boom or straight line between mast & clew..? ( I think that was the question..? ) I'd like to know too as I'm not sure..

choco
SA, 3994 posts
3 Jul 2010 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

windsufering said...

i spoke to the pros last night and they said any possi will do

if your paying for it ..yeah

Goo Screw
VIC, 269 posts
3 Jul 2010 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

If you are going upwind move the lines back.
if you want to go fast off the wind move the lines forward so you don't oversheet in the lulls.

barn
WA, 2960 posts
3 Jul 2010 11:52AM
Thumbs Up

but if there is a lull the apparent wind increases so wouldn't u need to sheet in for the LULZ?

ohh yeah the original question--

1/3 down a straight line down the sail.

(-its not down the boom because all booms are different shape and a completely arbitrary length.)

u can use an elastic cord with a mark at 1/3 and stretch it from the mast to the clew.

but why bother, my tip would be not to velcro the harness lines to tight so they can be adjusted while sailing, adjusted further and further back..

racerX
457 posts
3 Jul 2010 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Its measured from the clew to the front of the mast, directly. I use a elastic rope with a loop that I put on around the end of the boom, and I store it in my harness.

Really helpful when you using rented equipment, or were on water adjustments are not easy to make. I just use it as a reference.

MintoxGT
WA, 975 posts
4 Jul 2010 12:19AM
Thumbs Up

nick0 said...

also i think sailing with a back hand weight and no front hand weight transfers down and onto your back leg .....SPINOUT..... nueatral does it for me thou

Thanks mate, thats what I do heaps and now know why :)

Cheers GT

MintoxGT
WA, 975 posts
4 Jul 2010 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

nick0 said...

also i think sailing with a back hand weight and no front hand weight transfers down and onto your back leg .....SPINOUT..... nueatral does it for me thou

Thanks mate, thats what I do heaps and now know why :)

Cheers GT

swoosh
QLD, 1922 posts
4 Jul 2010 10:56AM
Thumbs Up

KenHo said...

I agree about rigging like pros. Small tweaks are not the same as rigging differently.
After watching the video of barn and reading the post above, I'm more frustrated than ever about the lack of tuition for windsurfing in Australia.
I have to realise that I have probably been using hopeless technique and set-up forever.

swoosh said...

I usually set my harness lines for trolling. This gives the maximum amount of LULZ

p.s. yes we should set gear up like pro's. afterall gear is designed around testing feedback from pro's, so rigging otherwise would in most cases give less than optimum results.

speaking of which ken, i was watching your maui vid, whats up with the armpit harness and the boom at the bottom of the cutout?

Spotty
VIC, 1619 posts
4 Jul 2010 12:42PM
Thumbs Up

Reflex Films said...

waaaaaaaaay too much analysis going on.

I would toss cribby's tips in the bin...thats going to have you off the water in under an hour with cramp.

Its so simple - if you can sail hands off then your harness lines are correct.

There should be equal balance through each attachment point.

If you are loading up one hand more than the other then you are going to be knackered in record time.

If your front foot is coming out of the front strap - and the board feels like it wants to fly - your boom is too high.

If your front leg and knee are getting loaded up - and the rail is getting driven into the water- then you have your boom too low.

Get the lines and the boom height right and you have equal balance and force going through your whole body- especially both legs
which lets you concentrate on going fast. (tip: speed comes from your core )

I agree with Reflex's comments. I've never even heard of the 1/3 rule, windsurfing should follow "if it feels good do it" As Barn mentioned leave your velcro loose a bit so you can adjust on the fly. If your front arm is getting sore move the frontline or both slightly in that direction. Likewise for back arm.

The width you choose to have your lines apart is likely to depend on the style of sailing you do or what feels right. Wave/Freestyle, tend to have them narrow set to allow more room to move hands along boom freely. Speed/Slalom, I have mine around armpit width apart, long enough to have my arms comfortably outstretched whilst maximising leverage over the rig and unweighting the board. This also allows me to slide along the harness line more so than if I had my lines closer together to asist with going upwind. Also it helps with stability/control of the rig especially when your doing around 90kph

In general I think too many have their lines too short regardless of their stature/size. I use waist and seat harness's and adjust my lines accordingly when I use either by around 2" in length. Every time I sail and depending what sail I have up and what board/fin, how the sail is set usually requires an adjustment of my harness lines to get things feeling right.
ie more time Rigging/tweaking less time Friggin"

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
4 Jul 2010 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

What size starboard code is that spotty? You must like ya codes dudeIs that the same one you use for wave sailing or is a different board? Are all your sails black dude?

windsufering
VIC, 1124 posts
4 Jul 2010 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

i spoke to the pros last night they said if it feels good do it

NotWal
QLD, 7426 posts
4 Jul 2010 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

windsufering said...

But you had to pay them to say that.

flipper4444
VIC, 1214 posts
4 Jul 2010 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

windsufering said...

How a you brucie? still trolling a ya my friend? it's your full time job now i sposeelmo says hi by the way.. How is the trolling going in iwindsurf?? all the boys know you to well over there dont they?

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
4 Jul 2010 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

I pulled out a measuring tape and set my lines at 1/3 today. Not enough wind to get int eh water, but I tried hooking in on the beach, and it felt seriously WRONG to me.
I'll give it a go on the water, but it's a long way back from where I had them. I had to move them nearly a foot back.

Rox
VIC, 104 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I used cribbs 1/3 rule on an "old" X3 160-210 boom and it worked a treat. Then tried it on a "new" x3 140-190 boom and it doesn't work by a long way.

All the 1/3 distances are at least 5cm too long going to the 140-190 boom.

In the end I just worked out where the lines sat best for each of my sails (on the water, not holding the rig on dry land) and marked the boom with a paint pen.

Minor adjustments then made on the water, based on the days conditions.

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

How can that be ?
Did the clew length change by 15cm because you used a different boom ?
FWIW, it was an X3 160-210 boom I used today.
I'd be interested to try this out with someone who uses the 1/3 rule.
Do people really move their harness lines inches when they change sails ?

Rox said...

I used cribbs 1/3 rule on an "old" X3 160-210 boom and it worked a treat. Then tried it on a "new" x3 140-190 boom and it doesn't work by a long way.

In the end I just worked out where the lines sat best for each of my sails (on the water, not holding the rig on dry land) and marked the boom with a paint pen.

Magnus8
QLD, 364 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

I use the 1/3 rule on my RS Slaloms. Its definately biased towards the backhand. My front arm quite often gets a workout, however when max powered to overpowered its great. I end up sheeting out with my harness, ie bend back leg in, then when powered, straightening again. The rig tends to be more upright and sheeted in more often. This setup is faster on a reach, however needs to be tweaked when going upwind, downwind or in marginal conditions.

KenHo
NSW, 1353 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

That's what I felt. I could balance the sail, but only with mucho front arm effort.

Magnus8 said...

I use the 1/3 rule on my RS Slaloms. Its definately biased towards the backhand. My front arm quite often gets a workout, however when max powered to overpowered its great. I end up sheeting out with my harness, ie bend back leg in, then when powered, straightening again. The rig tends to be more upright and sheeted in more often. This setup is faster on a reach, however needs to be tweaked when going upwind, downwind or in marginal conditions.

mkseven
QLD, 2309 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

KenHo said...

How can that be ?

Rox said...

Boom flex and tail width of boom can change where you need to place lines.

Rox
VIC, 104 posts
4 Jul 2010 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

mkseven said...

KenHo said...

How can that be ?

Rox said...

Boom flex and tail width of boom can change where you need to place lines.

The "new" x3 is a smaller boom (140-190). It is much narrower than the 160-210. I am tipping this is why the line placement is so different.

busterwa
3777 posts
4 Jul 2010 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Reflex Films said...

waaaaaaaaay too much analysis going on.

I would toss cribby's tips in the bin...thats going to have you off the water in under an hour with cramp.

Its so simple - if you can sail hands off then your harness lines are correct.

There should be equal balance through each attachment point.

If you are loading up one hand more than the other then you are going to be knackered in record time.

If your front foot is coming out of the front strap - and the board feels like it wants to fly - your boom is too high.

If your front leg and knee are getting loaded up - and the rail is getting driven into the water- then you have your boom too low.

Get the lines and the boom height right and you have equal balance and force going through your whole body- especially both legs
which lets you concentrate on going fast. (tip: speed comes from your core )

body parts will go dead and you will have to pull up.

NotWal
QLD, 7426 posts
4 Jul 2010 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

The height of your booms makes a difference. The 1/3 rule works best with high booms.
If you use seat harness and short lines the lines have to be closer to the mast.
For a neutral setting the centre of the harness lines has to fall on a line drawn from the mast foot through the coe of the sail.

Gidget
NSW, 104 posts
6 Jul 2010 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

sboardcrazy said...

Whats wrong with sailing like a girl!

Right on sista Grrlpower!

slowboat
WA, 548 posts
6 Jul 2010 11:51AM
Thumbs Up

"1/3 rule" is not a bad starting point when you have new gear and have no idea where the COP is going to be. But it doesnt make any sense to adapt to that as "the setting it has to be at".

Variables for harness line placement:
1) sail design- thats a huge variable.
2) body weight and height - lighter riders on the same rig need their lines forward. So dont copy the settings of the pros unless you are as strong and heavy as them.
3) wind character and sailing angles

Set them so you are comfortable most of the time.

The only time a less comfy setting is better is if you are chasing top speed, and your sail has the COP wandering back a lot in the gusts (mine dont but there are a lot of race sails out there that do). Then having the lines set back can be faster in the gusts, but in the lulls you will burn the front arm quickly.

Reflex Films
WA, 1437 posts
6 Jul 2010 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

aaahh - at last some common sense on this thread from some sailors (Spotty and Chris) that have their gear tweaked and tuned to 99.9999 % perfection.

nosinkanow
NSW, 441 posts
6 Jul 2010 6:02PM
Thumbs Up

Gidget said...

sboardcrazy said...

Whats wrong with sailing like a girl!

Right on sista Grrlpower!

Hey Gidget, enjoying the fresh local temperatures after Maui?

snides8
WA, 1729 posts
6 Jul 2010 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

slowboat said...

"1/3 rule" is not a bad starting point when you have new gear and have no idea where the COP is going to be. But it doesnt make any sense to adapt to that as "the setting it has to be at".

Variables for harness line placement:
1) sail design- thats a huge variable.
2) body weight and height - lighter riders on the same rig need their lines forward. So dont copy the settings of the pros unless you are as strong and heavy as them.
3) wind character and sailing angles

Set them so you are comfortable most of the time.

The only time a less comfy setting is better is if you are chasing top speed, and your sail has the COP wandering back a lot in the gusts (mine dont but there are a lot of race sails out there that do). Then having the lines set back can be faster in the gusts, but in the lulls you will burn the front arm quickly.

these are very interesting comments from one of the best..
i can vouch for point 2- when i jump on Chris's gear i recon his harness lines are at least 4 inches further aft than where i would have them set(not to mention there prob 8 inches longer as well!)..i am guessing i am 15odd kgs shy of the slow one as well.. food for thought!

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7911 posts
7 Jul 2010 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Why do lighter people have to have their lines further forward?

mkseven
QLD, 2309 posts
7 Jul 2010 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Boom, sail and mast flex less. Less flex= draft and center of effort stays in place.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Harness line position 1/3 rule" started by Francone