Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kite surface area

Created by Andrash > 9 months ago, 14 Nov 2011
KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
17 Nov 2011 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

seafever17 said...

For a more accurate comparison you would probably be better off weighing them. Cant be much difference if any in the fabric. Probably most manufacturers are getting it from the same factories. Beats dicking around trying to measure a kite accurately.

I don't think this approach would work. Three strut kites are much lighter than 5 strut kites. Fabric also varies greatly between manufacturers.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
17 Nov 2011 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

I've just read through this entire log conversation , thinking to my self how funny it was , and that andrash is obviously an idiot or trolling 'cause his point was so pointless!
Fly your kite, demo your kite, if it handles the conditions then that's the size you want!! How simple could it be.
I was then gonna mention how I was flying my 8m Rally in 25+ knots, then immediatley jumped onto my 7m Waroo (which I'd flown for 3 seasons before giving to my mate)
I was having an awesome session on my 8 , and was then completely overpowered on the 7. I had the depower pulled all the way in, my harness was being pulled up into my ribcage, I couldn't hold any kind of an edge down, and I gave up and landed the thing after about 15mins!
My point was gonna be that different kites handle differently, so demo what you like and use your common sense!
But then , like a cold chill running down my spine I realised that maybe Andrash is right (gulp)
An 8m from one manufacturer SHOULDN'T produce less pull than a 7m from another!!!
And a solution:
Andrash IS right. but kite sizing is obviously complicated, so what we really need in this world of deltas c's, sle's, hybrids, flats, bows etc is a POWER NUMBER printed on the side of your kite!!! not a metre number.
Set up some kind of international standard where a kite is launched in a wind tunnel kind arrangement in a given wind strength (say 20 knots) and how much pull it produces is measured.
AND THIS IS THE NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF YOUR KITE
oh my god, I'm a genius...I'm gonna have to go and have a lie down.

dbabicwa
WA, 805 posts
17 Nov 2011 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

daggy said...
Set up some kind of international standard where a kite is launched in a wind tunnel kind arrangement in a given wind strength (say 20 knots) and how much pull it produces is measured.
AND THIS IS THE NUMBER ON THE SIDE OF YOUR KITE
oh my god, I'm a genius...I'm gonna have to go and have a lie down.

The DHV standard is well accepted around the world for paragliding. It doesn't specify the above details, tho. I would say impossible task.

rod_bunny
WA, 1089 posts
17 Nov 2011 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

daggy said...

I was having an awesome session on my 8 , and was then completely overpowered on the 7.

Even with the same manufacturer the 'sizes' can be different.
I was out landboarding with a 13m Peter Lynn Venom and my mate was on a 12m Phantom. We swapped over (Great thing with the old doona was stability - we didnt even land them to swap) On the 13 I was nicely lit - not overpowered, on the 12 I was looping the kite and generally laughing my head of with it - my mate had stopped kiting and was waiting for me to come get him and swap cause he was waaaay overpowered and bricking it. [}:)] (He was a lot lighter than me)

For me the 12m P felt more like my 10m V compared to the 13m V.

1m difference on the 'number on the kite' but quite a big difference in power even though they are a similar kite.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
17 Nov 2011 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

I am sure we have some geniuses amongst us (I wont start naming them just now), but I don't think it takes a genius to compare two similar shape kites by knowing

Surface area
Projected area
Aspect ratio

Just as with cars, we would not compare a 4x4 with a sport car just because they have the same size engine, we would not compare a C kite with a low aspect wave kite just because they have similar surface area. Obviously, they are for different purposes.
However, we do want to compare similar shape / style kites by their specifications. Simply because we cannot always demo them side by side to compare, and those who live out of the major cities cannot demo at all.
All what it takes is for the manufacturers to include HONESTY and OPENNESS into their marketing strategy.

Last few days I compared an 8m kite of a major brand to my 9 m Rev. They were very similar shape and, guess what, almost identical in size. The 8m wave kite of the same brand, on the other hand, was only marginally larger than my 6m RPM, again quite similar shape. Both called 8m by their manufacturer in spite of the fact that there was approximately 2m difference between the two. The designer obviously was / is aware of this, because the exact figure is shown on their design software. So there is absolutely no excuse for this. This is simply deceiving customers for marketing purposes. Or in one word: CHEATING.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
17 Nov 2011 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

Notice that sizing never includes the word 'metre' anymore?

Sizes are only relevant to different sizes in the same model.

Just because it says 8 doesn't mean it's an 8m kite.

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
17 Nov 2011 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash said...

I am sure we have some geniuses amongst us (I wont start naming them just now), but I don't think it takes a genius to compare two similar shape kites by knowing

Surface area
Projected area
Aspect ratio

Just as with cars, we would not compare a 4x4 with a sport car just because they have the same size engine, we would not compare a C kite with a low aspect wave kite just because they have similar surface area. Obviously, they are for different purposes.
However, we do want to compare similar shape / style kites by their specifications. Simply because we cannot always demo them side by side to compare, and those who live out of the major cities cannot demo at all.
All what it takes is for the manufacturers to include HONESTY and OPENNESS into their marketing strategy.

Last few days I compared an 8m kite of a major brand to my 9 m Rev. They were very similar shape and, guess what, almost identical in size. The 8m wave kite of the same brand, on the other hand, was only marginally larger than my 6m RPM, again quite similar shape. Both called 8m by their manufacturer in spite of the fact that there was approximately 2m difference between the two. The designer obviously was / is aware of this, because the exact figure is shown on their design software. So there is absolutely no excuse for this. This is simply deceiving customers for marketing purposes. Or in one word: CHEATING.

I suspect the kite nerds that design the kites know exactly how big the kites are but the marketing dudes have other ideas - they probably read Seabreeze.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

8m is 8m and a lie is a lie.
When I started kiting 11 years ago, Wipika (I think) gave the projected area, and Naish and Cabrinah (not sure about the details) gave the surface area as measures, and they also gave the aspect ratio for each sizes. All these details disappeared by now and replaced with what? with HYPE.

A question to those who are trying to cover for the lies of the manufacturers. Would you buy a sport car if the manufacturer, who claims it is the best car of the world, doesn't even tell you the size of the engine, or, worst of all, lies about it? And when you question it, the dealer tells you "there are so many factors contribute in the performance of a car, the size of the engine is really irrelevant any more." Would you buy this?....would you?.... really

Obviously, it is not that different for kite surfing.

CUT THE HYPE, GIVE US THE FACTS.

Trust, we are intelligent enough to work out the rest.

(manufacturers and distributors, you are quiet, but I know you are reading this)

HansenDesign
12 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Andrash:
No Hype - Just Facts.
Cheers!

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
18 Nov 2011 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^
Thanks, mate... highly appreciated...
I hope it's an ice-breaker... and we will see other brands show their cards too.

seafever17
WA, 360 posts
18 Nov 2011 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Hope it brings you much joy Andrash!!

Just looks like another bloody spreadsheet to me and thats the last thing I need.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

seafever17 said...

Just looks like another bloody spreadsheet to me and thats the last thing I need.

haha.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
18 Nov 2011 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

seafever17 said...

Hi Seafever, I deleted my previous post, because it was not very helpful.
I understand your aversion to spreadsheets, but this is the way things are organized these days. But, really, it is not that difficult. I know there are guys around way more qualified to explain these, so I am open to any correction, and learning. But now...
Let's say you want to replace the 9m kite in your quiver. Looking at the sheet, you see they have a 9m which is a genuine 9m. So they are not cheating, it's a good start. Then you have a look at the projected area. This is the part of the kite which is projected to the wind, and represent the row power of the kite. If it is similar to your existing kite, you know you can expect similar pull, unless something is really off. Then you see the aspect ratio. If it is lower than what you have now, then this kite may not jump as high, and perhaps gives you less pop, but it will be more stable, and if it turns fine, it will be better on the waves. On the other hand, if it is higher then what you have, then perhaps this kite will jump nicely, and high, but it would not be that stable and would not turn just as well on the waves. And now you know if you want to demo the kite or not.
Of course there are much much more parameters effecting the performance of the kite, and that's why it's worth to demo.
But when you don't have these info, and say you demo a 9m kite which is actually a 7m, you will be amazed how quick the kite is. But if you buy the kite, you may realize shortly after that when the wind drops under 18 knots, you need to go home, while you buddies with your old kite are still ripping.
Sorry if it was too long, and guys who know better correct me if it was not accurate.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Andrash said...

A kite which suits X windspeed for you may suit Y windspeed for someone else, depending on a dozen of individual factors, so if you go with the manufacturers' recommendation... well good luck.

Comparing surface area of similar style / shape kites is not difficult at all. Just spread 2 of them over each other. If one of them is about 1 or 2m smaller than the other, it's an easy bet which one will deliver more power. Minor differences in the shape or different bridal will not make a huge difference in this.

... expecting the manufacturer to admit that the true size is significantly different from what's written on the wing, yea.. I know, waste of time... that's about honesty..

Next time when I buy a 3 liter V6 which turns out to be a 2 liter V4... I will say "Oh well, but it has larger wheels and painted red, so it should be the same"

Thanks for all responses

Perfectly legit ? from Andrash and I dont know why kite cos. dont supply exactly accurate sqM stats on each kite.
For sure a huge no. of other factors make up the performance characteristics of any given kite but as the customer we should know ALL of the exact details so we can assess each kite from the technical specs. Lots of experienced kiters can piece together their own jigsaw of what they like in a kite IF they are given the full technical details.
Projected area seems to be off the radar all together these days along with aspect ratio Both of these stats are critically important for punters to assess the real power producing area as opposed to surface area. But projected area will always be somewhat arbitary whereas surface area can accurate down to sq mm's.
And I cant see any good reason for any kite co. to up or down their advertised size from what is accurate. There can be no marketing advantage either way. Car engines are often rounded to the nearest convenient no. and its not a problem. If 2000cc engines vary from 1800 to 2200 who cares - you just have to read the advertised capacity along with the power delivery to make your assessment.
Same same should be with kites.
Absolutely agree with all those who suggest that exact sq M should be noted somewhere in the specs. Kite cos have to know that figure within mm's. And all rated sizes should be somewhere close - like cars.
And if customers arent up to working through the tech specs to assess the flying style & power then thats what retailers are here to do for them.

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

AND ps......
about 5 years ago 2 of my mates bought new 12M kites of different brands. We all noticed an apparent big difference in size. Layed out together one 12M was significantly bigger in all directions than other other 12M and - guess what - the smaller kite delivered noticably more power than the bigger one.
Tested and agreed by numerous riders.
This size thing is nothing new - but not getting any less of a complication.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
18 Nov 2011 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

A kite is a wing it's shape delivers uplift. My quiver is a 9.5m Kahoona V3, 8m 2010 RPM and a 5m 2007 Waroo, I fly them all on a 17" slingshot bar. There is no overlap. Projected area is uplift, simple. Get a 10 RPM and a 12 RPM and lay them on top, no wonder theres only 1-2 knots more bottom end on the 12. Apparent wind is what an experienced kiter uses, but material equals drag.
Andrash has brought up a real, thoughtful topic, sure demo in the wind conditions you are used to if you can, but I agree its confusing marketing Those graphs are for a 80kg rider, as the IKO suggesteded in the past go one size up or down for every 10kg added or taken away??? Now Im confused?

The idea of a wind tunnel to give an accurate reading of static pull, is good, but it needs to be travelling at speed. Pythagoras theorem, I tired to forget at high school

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
20 Nov 2011 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Just my last word on this thread... (have I said that already?)
This thread has served its purpose to bring awareness to the manipulation with the kite sizes by some manufacturers. Obviously, we cannot expect some brands to come out with the details now, and by that admit that they were misleading us for marketing purposes. I believe and hope though, that there will be more and more brands which provide the details with their kites (as they did in the past), and by that, we can quickly sort out which brands are cheating. Until then, just keep comparing, demoing and kiting... and if the conditions are like they were today, there is no reason to stop smiling........ perhaps the scotch helps a bit too.....

Sean84
NT, 9 posts
22 Nov 2011 1:59AM
Thumbs Up

Core of the issue seems to be how much you want to know. Seeing two polarised points of view in the forum here - those that want to know all the details, and those that don't mind as long as it works.
That's a personal preference.
What happens if you approach the companies directly and say you are interested in some technical details about the design of their wing? They should be able to put you on to a boffin who can tell you more than you can possibly want to know.
I would be quite surprised if you were to meet any real resistance - but I think most people would be bored, and kiting companies don't want to be associated with being a "boring" brand.
Thems the breaks...

pearl
NSW, 984 posts
22 Nov 2011 6:52AM
Thumbs Up

I think thats a great chart switch produce. I'm guessing the majority of kite companies believe the 'wind chart' is all the punters need to know. It surprises me the amount of major brand kite surf boards that only list a length and ignore all the other dimensions in advertising.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kite surface area" started by Andrash