Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Hydration packs

Created by Stutho > 9 months ago, 14 Apr 2014
Stutho
14 posts
14 Apr 2014 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone out there using Camelbak's MOLOKAI or Baja packs?

Any recommendations?

Cheers!!!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
14 Apr 2014 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

I really like my new Camelbak Tahlo LR because I can carry a PFD in it.

I also have and like the Ultra LR because it's a backpack with a waist type bladder.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
14 Apr 2014 11:55AM
Thumbs Up

I've been happy for a couple of years with an earlier model Camelbak "Octane LR" - lightweight backback style with the lumbar (waist) bladder. They're designed for adventure running or something like that but I'm a fan of the lumbar/backpack style for SUP. Keeps the water weight down low on your hips but feels more secure (to me) than a bumbag type.

Tried on a Molokai recently and didn't like it much, it's got some good features but after the LR the water weight feels up too high. The bloke with the orange board in DJ's vid is wearing a Molokai over a PFD. PT has a Baja, I don't think he likes it but he'll be able to tell you why.

Stutho
14 posts
14 Apr 2014 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Fellas, I do like the idea of the bladder being nice and low!

Jeroensurf
866 posts
14 Apr 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Are these bladders easy to clean?I got an Dakine sweeper and its excelent except that you can,t turn the bladder inside out for cleaning.

Stutho
14 posts
14 Apr 2014 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

I have always found with my cycling Camelbak the best thing to do it wash it out with water and keep it in the freezer. Kills all the bugs!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
14 Apr 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I've had the Molokai for about 6 months. Very comfy and doesn't move about. Was also surprised that the weight of it full of water doesn't affect my lower back at all! Highly recommend!!!

SUPingCaveman
NSW, 111 posts
15 Apr 2014 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi again Stutho,

Again here is the review I did in March of 4 different hydration packs. Two were lumbar reservoirs the others were positioned on the back.

The Baja has been discontinued for 2014 and the Molokai and Tahoe have had a redesign. Also reviewed are the DaKine Sweeper and VestPac Wilson Pac

https://thesupingcaveman.squarespace.com/blog/1fqfc3t9i9f0rr81h1k3i6wk1wb6ka/2/21/2014

I personally paddle with the VestPac Wilson Pac and love it. With the imminent arrival of the bigger 1.8l bladder I think it makes it more suited for any longer paddles also. It is light and the bladder is super easy to clean and there has never been any issues with the bladder tainting the water with any weird taste.

Hope this helps
Matt

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Hydration packs" started by Stutho