Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 starboards????

Created by Tang > 9 months ago, 18 Sep 2014
Tang
VIC, 580 posts
18 Sep 2014 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going a bit potty trying to find any decent info on the 2015 starboard range. You can order them thru surf fx and another site, but the info is minimal. Anyone know a good link for the catalogue? I can't quite get my head around them being available for sale but no decent info....
cheers

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
18 Sep 2014 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Tang said..
I'm going a bit potty trying to find any decent info on the 2015 starboard range. You can order them thru surf fx and another site, but the info is minimal. Anyone know a good link for the catalogue? I can't quite get my head around them being available for sale but no decent info....
cheers

Yeah, very little info on the new JP boards too .... but you can buy them and the starboards here

www.surffx.com.au/product-category/stand-up-paddleboarding/sup-boards/?orderby=date

Not the whole range yet as I have been told the JP range will include a simmons/tomo style board. Interesting to see the prices though.

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
19 Sep 2014 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

MickMc said..

Tang said..
cheers

Yeah, very little info on the new JP boards too .... but you can buy them and the starboards herewww.surffx.com.au/product-category/stand-up-paddleboarding/sup-boards/?orderby=date
Not the whole range yet as I have been told the JP range will include a simmons/tomo style board. Interesting to see the prices though.

That maybe why they don't put them up Mick, you see the price and it's seriously scary

JoffaDan
VIC, 243 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

MickMc said..

Tang said..
cheers

Yeah, very little info on the new JP boards too .... but you can buy them and the starboards here

www.surffx.com.au/product-category/stand-up-paddleboarding/sup-boards/?orderby=date

The new 2015 JP boards and specs can be found here (minus the tomo style board).
jp-australia.com/2015/sup/
Not sure why that link isn't readily available direct from their website, as I had to replace the "2014"with "2015" to find it.
Slightly off topic sorry Tang...

Rossall
WA, 690 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Prices are creeping up I see even for Jp. Any news on the Tomo style board anyone ????

Phil

skiman123
NSW, 33 posts
19 Sep 2014 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..
cheers

Hi my local shop had a copy of the new brochure on there computer back in May but there was no way they would let me copy or take a photo of the screen and leave alive I picked up my 2015 Element earlier this week, still waiting for my Pocket Rocket. Price wise it was the same as 2014 very happy

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

I've been lucky enough to see beau use the all star 12'6 24" and have a paddle on it. the boards a ocean all rounder but has some serious speed. I've got mine on order and looks like mid October landing. planning to use it training and flatwater then go from there.

for a 24" board its pretty stable. a different feel and different stability then what I've been used too, wider nosed more nose stability boards, but felt pretty comfy without to much fuss.

however all my boards are 25" or less so it's no big deal these days.

replacing my tomy 12'6 with the falcon 12'6 and the incoming starby all star 12'6

yes, beau is very quick on this board- scary fast in sprints

cheers

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

I can't believe the prices on the carbon surf sups…over $2500 is an absolute JOKE!!!!!!

riverider
TAS, 1097 posts
19 Sep 2014 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..
I can't believe the prices on the carbon surf sups…over $2500 is an absolute JOKE!!!!!!

Jimmy lewis are doing their carbon surf sups for under $2K

pumpnjump
WA, 257 posts
19 Sep 2014 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..

It certainly seems high, I have just made an 8'4", EPS core, divinycell sandwich, carbon innegra lay up, full vacuum bag with peel ply, perforated film etc, 2 pac finish, $650 including deck grip, and thats at retail prices for materials, these manufacturers would not be paying half as much.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:18PM
Thumbs Up

i think they, thats all the brands are going over the top

prices for carbon race boards retailing for 3,300 plus which is crazy

now thats big dollars. i waited and brought a near new 12'6 falcon second hand for $1500.

and thats the other problem. as soon as your out the door you've just dropped a thousand dollars

the all star will probably be my last dear board purchase as the prices stand.

i'm not sure how long people will last when fronted with big prices like they are now.

no wonder the industry pushes racing because if you don't race or want to be faster than your mate/mates you wouldn't need the new years 'faster' model ever year

and boy, it really wants to be the best board going around at those prices.

i'm as big as sucker as any one else

Rob11
240 posts
19 Sep 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pumpnjump said..
It certainly seems high, I have just made an 8'4", EPS core, divinycell sandwich, carbon innegra lay up, full vacuum bag with peel ply, perforated film etc, 2 pac finish, $650 including deck grip, and thats at retail prices for materials, these manufacturers would not be paying half as much.

Prices certainly seem out of proportion. On your example maybe you need to consider the following to have a more realistic idea:
- board size 8'4 vs 12'6 or 14'
- consider your time and how much you value your time
- freight, customs, GST, probably plays more than we think for these large board

Just my 2c

MickMc
VIC, 452 posts
20 Sep 2014 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
riverider said..

husq2100 said..

Jimmy lewis are doing their carbon surf sups for under $2K

Yep, Jimmy Lewis are brilliant boards and now at the best prices. Build quality second to none. At current prices my JL striker is looking like staying with me for a while yet, but if I upgrade it would be to buy another JL

surf4fun
WA, 1313 posts
20 Sep 2014 9:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..

even more so when you think a lot of people would like to have a 14' Flatwater, 14' ocean, maybe a 12'6 and let's be honest who can only get by with one surf sup?

Good thing is Starboard carbons hold their price, particularly the surf boards, for many years.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
20 Sep 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob11 said..

pumpnjump said..

Prices certainly seem out of proportion. On your example maybe you need to consider the following to have a more realistic idea:
- board size 8'4 vs 12'6 or 14'
- consider your time and how much you value your time
- freight, customs, GST, probably plays more than we think for these large board

Just my 2c

Top quality boards were $1800-$2000 about 4 years ago. Race boards were $2200. The material costs have not changed that much. THere is more competiton in the market place now. ANd if you think shipping a container of boards over costs more than any other shipping container , well.....

A big part of Aus retail prices is determining what the market will pay without a great loss in sales. The companies realise that the high end of the market is the smallest and that charging more wont dwindle sales so the get away with more $$$ in their pockets.

BTW this is not really the retail outlets fault or decsion.

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
20 Sep 2014 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..
Top quality boards were $1800-$2000 about 4 years ago. Race boards were $2200. The material costs have not changed that much. THere is more competiton in the market place now. ANd if you think shipping a container of boards over costs more than any other shipping container , well.....

A big part of Aus retail prices is determining what the market will pay without a great loss in sales. The companies realise that the high end of the market is the smallest and that charging more wont dwindle sales so the get away with more $$$ in their pockets.

I don't think the Aussie distributors/retailers for the big brands have as much influence on determining the retail prices based on an Aussie market as you might think. I'm pretty sure many of the brands set the prices each year (give or take exchange rates) so that the boards cost about the same in each country and the margins between each construction type are maintained.

Also need to remember that 3-4 years ago the Aussie dollar was very strong, so although the cost of materials/shipping etc. may not have changed that much (based on whatever currency they are traded in) if our importers are paying for stock in USD, the difference between an exchange rate of $1.10 back then to around $0.90 now is HUGE!

I'm not having a chop at anyone here or saying the prices are or aren't reflective of increased costs of production, distribution and/or adjustments to suit what consumers will pay - just recognising there's a lot more factors that will come into play with the big imported brands.

Also I'm pretty sure the cost of Aussie custom made boards has increased comparatively - a custom carbon race board will cost you a lot more than $2200!!! and the shapers aren't exactly rolling in it with increased profits.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
20 Sep 2014 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ali Cat said..

husq2100 said..

I don't think the Aussie distributors/retailers for the big brands have as much influence on determining the retail prices based on an Aussie market as you might think. I'm pretty sure many of the brands set the prices each year (give or take exchange rates) so that the boards cost about the same in each country and the margins between each construction type are maintained.

Also need to remember that 3-4 years ago the Aussie dollar was very strong, so although the cost of materials/shipping etc. may not have changed that much (based on whatever currency they are traded in) if our importers are paying for stock in USD, the difference between an exchange rate of $1.10 back then to around $0.90 now is HUGE!

I'm not having a chop at anyone here or saying the prices are or aren't reflective of increased costs of production, distribution and/or adjustments to suit what consumers will pay - just recognising there's a lot more factors that will come into play with the big imported brands.

Also I'm pretty sure the cost of Aussie custom made boards has increased comparatively - a custom carbon race board will cost you a lot more than $2200!!! and the shapers aren't exactly rolling in it with increased profits.

hang on, where did I bring up customs?

If youd like to go down that path it wont serve your arguments well. Customs are way more labour intensive and dont have the scale of volume to reduce costs....Yet, they are still cheaper!!!

I bet you can get a full custom race board (carbon) built here on the GC for closer to the $2200 than you think, and closer than the imported mass produced stuff. Im also certain you can get a full custom surf sup for cheaper than $2800 that these SB RRP for....

that was not my point. The point is costs have gone up but not in proportion with the price increase. And it is my opinion we were paying too much in the early days but had no choice then....

Seriously how much is a custom top line Surfboard? And yes while these SUP are bigger, the proportion does not represent the same increase in material costs.

You by more foam, more cloth, more resin etc you are going to get a better rate.

Its simple business, they said x,y and z sell for this much, so SUPS can sell for this much as determind by the current market place when sups first hit the shores. They got away with it and why would they change...

If they are really worth what they are new, why 3 months later are they worth 2/5ths of FA!

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
20 Sep 2014 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..

If youd like to go down that path it wont serve your arguments well. Customs are way more labour intensive and dont have the scale of volume to reduce costs....Yet, they are still cheaper!!!

I bet you can get a full custom race board (carbon) built here on the GC for closer to the $2200 than you think, and closer than the imported mass produced stuff. Im also certain you can get a full custom surf sup for cheaper than $2800 that these SB RRP for....

etc.......

You didn't bring up customs - you just said top quality race boards for around $2200 - so I was merely mentioning both players (production & custom) and that prices for top end carbon race boards for both have increased. (I wasn't making any comment on how prices between the two compare to each other - just that costs for both have increased).

The main thing I was saying was that the price of production boards isn't just set by the Australian retail market but highly influenced by the overseas market and a bunch of other factors too (to what extent prices are influenced by each of these factors is beyond my knowledge so I chose not to make an uninformed comment about it).

I don't really get what else you're reading into my comment or what other argument you think I'm trying to make.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
20 Sep 2014 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ali Cat said...
husq2100 said..

etc.......

You didn't bring up customs - you just said top quality race boards for around $2200 - so I was merely mentioning both players (production & custom) and that prices for top end carbon race boards for both have increased. (I wasn't making any comment on how prices between the two compare to each other - just that costs for both have increased).

The main thing I was saying was that the price of production boards isn't just set by the Australian retail market but highly influenced by the overseas market and a bunch of other factors too (to what extent prices are influenced by each of these factors is beyond my knowledge so I chose not to make an uninformed comment about it).

I don't really get what else you're reading into my comment or what other argument you think I'm trying to make.

What is retail on these in the USA?

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
20 Sep 2014 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

I had a quick search around before writing anything this morning and from what I found, both the AST and Carbon constructions for the 2014 starby's look about the same (maybe a little less) in USD as retail prices here (eg. 2014 SB 7'7" Pro in carbon was $2599 USD - not sure if that's full retail or whether it could have been reduced as the 2015 stock is near) - either way, it's about on par with exchange rates - if anything we're getting a slightly better deal even though the depth of competition in the market over there would be much greater. The price differences between here and there on the different constructions of the Naish boards were in the same ballpark too.

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
20 Sep 2014 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Getting back to Tang's question, your local retailer should have details of the full 2015 Starboard range as they will have already ordered stock and it's just starting to arrive. Hopefully Starboard Int. will have the 2015 website up & running very soon.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
23 Sep 2014 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm only kicking tyres at the moment, but it'd be good if someone could drop a little toodle-oo when that catalogue appears....
cheers

SaltH20
123 posts
24 Sep 2014 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Here are a couple of pics of the new 8'0 x 29" pro for 2015.

As far as price point on the brushed carbons...Starboard has an exclusive agreement with the Cobra factory to be the only company able to use the technology that goes into them. The material that is used inside the boards is about as expensive at carbon itself. You get what you pay for.

Take a look at the prices of the new Naish carbon race boards if you want sticker shock!

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
24 Sep 2014 4:58AM
Thumbs Up

gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1699/page/250/

Link to starboards world dealer meeting first impressions vid.. Hopefully link works.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
24 Sep 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SaltH20 said..

As far as price point on the brushed carbons...Starboard has an exclusive agreement with the Cobra factory to be the only company able to use the technology that goes into them. The material that is used inside the boards is about as expensive at carbon itself. You get what you pay for.

Take a look at the prices of the new Naish carbon race boards if you want sticker shock!

Hey salth2o, what's the volume off that 8'0"? And thickness?
cheers

russh
SA, 3023 posts
24 Sep 2014 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

They are doing the same as they have in windsurfing for as long I've been sailing - suck you into an annual guilt felling that you arent on the lastest gear - everyone expects a new line, graphics, shape changes and improvements each year and they have to re coup R&D (surfing and shaping) - you pay if you "have to have the latest" - half the time they just rebadge last years shapes and a tweak here and there and really no one would notice much difference - I think they call it marketing

For a great deal of the SUP surfing community we wont surf any different if its a reasonable weight $500 older well shaped board or a $3000 latest carbon that still uses the same basic single to double concave with a bit of v and rocker in the tail - its just that we think it will make us surf better and arent up with the Jones's if we arent ridng the latest

I just dont know which one I should buy this year.

Slack
WA, 685 posts
24 Sep 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..

SaltH20 said..

cheers

8'x 29" x 3.9" 111L

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
24 Sep 2014 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slack said..

Tang said..

SaltH20 said..

cheers

8'x 29" x 3.9" 111L

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Markyb
NSW, 41 posts
24 Sep 2014 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

Is anyone going to have this board to demo

Markyb
NSW, 41 posts
24 Sep 2014 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..

Slack said..

Tang said..

SaltH20 said..

cheers

8'x 29" x 3.9" 111L

Mmmmmmmmmm.

Is anyone going to have the 8'x29" to demo

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
24 Sep 2014 11:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Markyb said..
Is anyone going to have the 8'x29" to demo

There should be one at Merimbula, along with a stack of other new Starboards (here's the link to the Merimbula thread with a list of starby's to demo). Some of these demo boards will be kept on the East Coast in Rod's demo trailer (once stock arrives) while some usually get shipped back west after Merimbula.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 starboards????" started by Tang