Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish Hokua X32 GT vs LE

Created by Brenno > 9 months ago, 17 Oct 2014
Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
17 Oct 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone surfed both of these beasts, and willing to share their thoughts on the pros and cons of wood deck vs carbon?

Stev0
419 posts
17 Oct 2014 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
Has anyone surfed both of these beasts, and willing to share their thoughts on the pros and cons of wood deck vs carbon?

I have ridden the X32 LE and used to have a Hokua with the wood deck. The carbon construction is lighter and gives a crisper feel compared to pretty much all other construction types. The carbon boards give more feedback through your feet as they are stiffer and may accelerate a bit faster but that is subjective.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
18 Oct 2014 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stev0 said..

Brenno said..

I have ridden the X32 LE and used to have a Hokua with the wood deck. The carbon construction is lighter and gives a crisper feel compared to pretty much all other construction types. The carbon boards give more feedback through your feet as they are stiffer and may accelerate a bit faster but that is subjective.

Thanks Stev0, appreciate your feedback. Will demo both and form my own opinion as you seem to be the only one to reply. Cheers.

Cobra
9106 posts
18 Oct 2014 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

i own both LE and GT X32's, give me the GT every time .
both surf the same.
GT takes a hit way better than the LE
GT is cheeper.
only advantage of the LE is its lighter.
i have owned full carbon short surfboards and sups and will never own another carbon.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
19 Oct 2014 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Cobra said..
i own both LE and GT X32's, give me the GT every time .
both surf the same.
GT takes a hit way better than the LE
GT is cheeper.
only advantage of the LE is its lighter.
i have owned full carbon short surfboards and sups and will never own another carbon.

Thanks cobra, I hear you on the take a hit comment. I like the "real" feel of the GT, the shudder as you slap in to a bit of chop.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
19 Oct 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

I'm thinking of selling my LE to get the slightly heavier GT..

.. because the GT has a much better handle.. and I like the red bottom and tribal print on the new GT.

KiwiSupGreg
38 posts
19 Oct 2014 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

.. because the GT has a much better handle.. and I like the red bottom and tribal print on the new GT.

I Just got a 8'3" GT x32...I like the red and tribal thing, havent had it out in great surf yet but even 2 foot slop was fun.

gregbuydts
63 posts
19 Oct 2014 4:36PM
Thumbs Up

Common now..........my LE will never go !

Cobra
9106 posts
19 Oct 2014 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

true DJ,i carry my GT 300m down to the beach without changing hands, that new handle is brilliant.
my le is smaller lighter and i must change hands.

Cobra
9106 posts
19 Oct 2014 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

one thing i don't like about the GT
is the nose of the board is very very slippery, i like to tuck the nose under the arm when a couple mid size waves come at me,like with the longboard.
and the GT just flys out from under my arm.
thinking of waxing it,for a bit of grip.

gregbuydts
63 posts
20 Oct 2014 2:03AM
Thumbs Up

I don't know what handle you guys have on your LE but in my opinion it is just perfect..........if you are not able to carry an LE for 300 meters then there must be some kind of muscle problem in your arms

flowmaster
291 posts
20 Oct 2014 2:58AM
Thumbs Up

wasn't yours for sale about one month ago ?

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:03AM
Thumbs Up

LE way to go

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
20 Oct 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

I've had the 9'1" GT for about 6 weeks now and enjoying the hell out of it. A really nice looking board too. Set up as a quad for the smaller days, and thruster for the bigger, longer rides, it's a really fun board, but even after this short period of time looking forward to an 8'8", or even an 8'3" at a stretch. Going to demo LE and GT. Thanks for the heads up on the handle DJ, would have thought they'd make'em both the same. I've made a trolley anyway 'cause I live up a big hill a little way from the beach, and use a strap for those out of the way spots. Another top little 3 hour sesh on the X32 this morning, my favourite board yet!

Cobra
9106 posts
20 Oct 2014 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregbuydts said...
I don't know what handle you guys have on your LE but in my opinion it is just perfect..........if you are not able to carry an LE for 300 meters then there must be some kind of muscle problem in your arms

Yes I do. They are too farkn big
haaha nothing to do with arms , it's more hands, the new GT handle is soooo easy on the hands .the handle is massive.

flowmaster
291 posts
21 Oct 2014 12:20AM
Thumbs Up

Very, very happy with my 8.8 LE, consider another, this time a 7.10.
Can someone call me the difference in weight and also has anyone experience with the 7:10 is not too wide for such a short board.
Also is it in GT any stronger ?

gregbuydts
63 posts
21 Oct 2014 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

YES IT WAS ;;;;;;;;;;;;;......got the 8'3 now even better

gregbuydts
63 posts
21 Oct 2014 1:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matt18 said..
LE way to go

Select to expand quote
flowmaster said..
wasn't yours for sale about one month ago ?

yes it was........got a 8'3 now instead of the 8'8.............. even better !

flowmaster
291 posts
24 Oct 2014 1:06AM
Thumbs Up

7.10 would be a second one, 8.8 stays for sure, would buy the same board cause I know how it surfs.

wonder if there is anyone on the forum, who surfs the 7.10

Is there ?

cel23
QLD, 175 posts
24 Oct 2014 4:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..

I have ridden both. The LE's have a STIFF, RESPONSIVE feel, in comparison the GT is a little softer and won't give you the same feel. However also maybe a little softer in the chop if that really bothers you?

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
24 Oct 2014 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cel23 said..

Brenno said..

I have ridden both. The LE's have a STIFF, RESPONSIVE feel, in comparison the GT is a little softer and won't give you the same feel. However also maybe a little softer in the chop if that really bothers you?

No. The little thing that bothers me about the wood deck is how quickly the board ends up with big fat feet impressions in it. Comfy at times, but IMO looks very used very quickly = less on sale/trade. If the LE feels more responsive and doesn't do this as quickly, then sounds like it's for me.

adamj2281
81 posts
23 Sep 2015 11:41PM
Thumbs Up

Reviving this thread, found a Craigslist deal on a 8'8" Hokua LE X32 - $800 US, thinking it will be a nice progression from my 9'1" Allwave which I broke in half.

I'm 175 lbs, will ride this in mostly waist to head high surf, looking for something that will turn quicker and be more responsive compared to the 9'1" AW.

Any thoughts?

flowmaster
291 posts
24 Sep 2015 2:06AM
Thumbs Up

Buy it, you would be pleased

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
24 Sep 2015 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
adamj2281 said..
Reviving this thread, found a Craigslist deal on a 8'8" Hokua LE X32 - $800 US, thinking it will be a nice progression from my 9'1" Allwave which I broke in half.

I'm 175 lbs, will ride this in mostly waist to head high surf, looking for something that will turn quicker and be more responsive compared to the 9'1" AW.

Any thoughts?

I love my 8'8" X32 and I am 5 kg heavier. If you are coming from the 9'1" AW, which I have not ridden, then maybe that is a big enough step. But you could consider going a bit smaller/narrower - my X32 is only used when it is very choppy and I need the width, otherwise I use my 8'10" x 29" Speeed or 7'10" x 29" Minion.

But for $800 I think you'll love it.

Tardy
4930 posts
24 Sep 2015 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

I have a GT x32 great tough board ...love the gloss and the Tahitian mofits.two tiki Heads face to face .
also have a carbon in another board ..if you hit the carbon one it leave compressions .but I love the lightness .
both are good ,GT .is stronger .not much heavier really .

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
25 Sep 2015 12:16PM
Thumbs Up

I have ridden the LE and the GT 8'8" x32. I first got the LE on rental when I was holidaying in Hawaii then when it came to purchase I went with the GT and to be honest I barely notice any difference in the way they both surf. The LE is lighter to carry around but on the wave I am not noticing a massive difference. I ended up going with the GT because it is tougher and it was cheaper, durability is really one of my most important factors.

I only got it in June this year but i have ridden it a fair bit and it is holding up really well. No major chips in the rails and there is only very minor heal dents if any really

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
25 Sep 2015 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

I am actually selling it to downsize so if anyone in WA is keen you can have it for $1400 o.no.

Greystoke
119 posts
27 Sep 2015 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cel23 said..

Brenno said..

Select to expand quote
flowmaster said..
7.10 would be a second one, 8.8 stays for sure, would buy the same board cause I know how it surfs.

wonder if there is anyone on the forum, who surfs the 7.10

Is there ?

I ride my 7"10 on clean days very loose and quick, drives off the bottom like my short board, turns on a dime with no swing weight. I target short beachies for this board. The 32 inches width gives me a lot of stability, however as soon as it gets windy and choppy the tendency to over turn when setting up and paddling into a wave is more apparent. A huge difference IMO to the 8"3 which I found very easy and stable in comparison, I can imagine more so on your 8"8. The 7"10 is not for everyone what may suit me may not suit someone else. Bottom line with regards to your question is it turns very easy when compared to width verses length. If you enjoy your 8"8 you will find the 7"10 a lot more looser but you should be able to adjust after a couple of waves fairly easy.

my details: surfing 30 years, long board and short. SUPing 2 years. I weigh between 77-78 kgs, I weighed 85kgs before I started SUPing.

Note: even at my weight it is still a struggle with stability when the winds and chop get up.

flowmaster
291 posts
27 Sep 2015 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

thanks

adamj2281
81 posts
28 Sep 2015 12:45AM
Thumbs Up

First session on the 8'8", and I love it. Quick impressions:

-Turns and much more surfy than my 9'2" AW (which was expected).
- Stability - good, not as stable as the AW when paddling to get on a wave, little more lateral movement.
- The edges of the pad near where you stand in the middle seem to fold up a bit to allow more stability, I like it.

All in all, it's going to replace my 9'2" AW, caught smallish waves once I got the hang of it. Going to use it for waist high and larger waves, or quicker waves, JL Black and Blue for smallish or real mushy waves.

Great board, really enjoyed the first session on it.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish Hokua X32 GT vs LE" started by Brenno