Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Starboard 2015 8' x 29 x 111 litres pro carbon

Created by windara > 9 months ago, 30 Oct 2014
windara
QLD, 256 posts
30 Oct 2014 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone riding this yet and like to share some feed back/comments?

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
30 Oct 2014 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

That will be you, demo will be here Monday.

Jeroensurf
866 posts
30 Oct 2014 3:32PM
Thumbs Up

Please share your experiences after you tried it.I,m very curious how the new one works comparedwith the 2015 and the 9.0.

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
30 Oct 2014 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've been surfing that board for the last couple of days here in France and despite not having sup surfed for the past 11 months due to a knee surgery that didn't went out perfectly and my current 106kg, i think the board is a lot of fun.

I've only been back to surfing two months ago and it has been on shortboards and longboards, which combined with the fact that i lost some power on my back foot leg, makes it a bit difficult to get on rail on my forehand. So, while frontside surfing has been a bit flat, backhand has been amazing.

The board is super stable, even with my 106kg on it, and while it is not the fastest board to paddle, it is really fast one the wave. Turns super easy, feels very light and holds the speed in between turns well.

I'm not going to get into a lot of details now because my fs surfing really sucks right now, so i'll just go for another session instead.
I believe this board may very well be one of the best selling boards for starboard on their new range, because it will be interesting for a lot of surfers that are looking for a shorter but still easy to paddle and surf board option.

I will also be trying out a 8'5 NUT prototype during these days so maybe i can give you some more feedback later in the week.

Cheers,
Johnny

windara
QLD, 256 posts
30 Oct 2014 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnnyMaya said..
I've been surfing that board for the last couple of days here in France and despite not having sup surfed for the past 11 months due to a knee surgery that didn't went out perfectly and my current 106kg, i think the board is a lot of fun.

I've only been back to surfing two months ago and it has been on shortboards and longboards, which combined with the fact that i lost some power on my back foot leg, makes it a bit difficult to get on rail on my forehand. So, while frontside surfing has been a bit flat, backhand has been amazing.

The board is super stable, even with my 106kg on it, and while it is not the fastest board to paddle, it is really fast one the wave. Turns super easy, feels very light and holds the speed in between turns well.

I'm not going to get into a lot of details now because my fs surfing really sucks right now, so i'll just go for another session instead.
I believe this board may very well be one of the best selling boards for starboard on their new range, because it will be interesting for a lot of surfers that are looking for a shorter but still easy to paddle and surf board option.

I will also be trying out a 8'5 NUT prototype during these days so maybe i can give you some more feedback later in the week.

Cheers,
Johnny

That's a big help Johnny! Sounds like a good board. Hope you heal up ok. Cheers!

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
31 Oct 2014 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Further to my post on the 8 x 28, i have gone all out this year and picked up the 2015 8 x 29 as well,

(For those on shore days)

so i thought I would throw it in the pool for the stability test

and I can report that I think it is about 10 - 15% more stable than the 2015 28 wide Pro

windara
QLD, 256 posts
31 Oct 2014 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Haa ha very keen eh? Pool test run. Very nice board and good to hear it feels more stable. Is that three new SB's your getting? Why not! Its only money. Thanks for the photos and comments!

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
2 Nov 2014 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Loz you must be in wa to afford them

what is the comparison between the 8'x28 and 29' and the 8'5 pro? I'd love to come down to the 8'0" in either width, just wondering about the 28" mainly....I can handle the 98litre airborn no probs but it is 31.5" wide which provides a fair bit of compensation....

cheers

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
2 Nov 2014 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..

what is the comparison between the 8'x28 and 29' and the 8'5 pro? I'd love to come down to the 8'0" in either width, just wondering about the 28" mainly....I can handle the 98litre airborn no probs but it is 31.5" wide which provides a fair bit of compensation....

cheers

Hey Tang,

I found the 8 x 29 real easy to ride in semi choppy conditions, at 111 L this is a larger size than what i am used to riding,

when i came down to the 8 x 28 it actually did not feel that much different, just a honed down version of the 29 wide,

I still felt this was relatively easy to paddle, and the wave performance was just sharpened up a bit,

both boards responded well on the waves and i could not feel any negatives.

- I think it just depends on your weight and experience

if you have been supping for while and are under 85kg and want the wave performance I would go the 28 wide,

f you are over 85kg and have not been supping to long go the 29 wide and it will still perform well on the waves

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
2 Nov 2014 10:47PM
Thumbs Up

No worries. Been into it a few years after surfing for 25 years but am pretty tall at a bit over 6'4" and somewhere around 85kg. Am on a 7'8"x28 1/4" minion too. Any idea where you can demo either of them around Torquay?
Going to the ments next year and would love to have an 8'0" in the bag......
cheers

surfershaneA
863 posts
3 Nov 2014 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

Getting to the point where I do want to have a shot at a shortboard like SUP. After how pleased I was with the 2014 8'5" I would really like to have a go on both the 8's. Not sure if I would prefer the V in the tail? Might also keep a lookout for old trades and buy/sell.

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Nov 2014 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfershaneA said..
Getting to the point where I do want to have a shot at a shortboard like SUP. After how pleased I was with the 2014 8'5" I would really like to have a go on both the 8's. Not sure if I would prefer the V in the tail? Might also keep a lookout for old trades and buy/sell.

Lots of Starboard Demo's starting this weekend in WA with the van hitting the road after. Cant confirm to many dates at this stage but will be announcing soon, this board will be in the Van on the road with us :) keep a look out on Starboard Sup Australia facebook page and on here over the next couple of weeks we get dates out as soon as we can.

surfershaneA
863 posts
4 Nov 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Auswind said..

surfershaneA said..

Lots of Starboard Demo's starting this weekend in WA with the van hitting the road after. Cant confirm to many dates at this stage but will be announcing soon, this board will be in the Van on the road with us :) keep a look out on Starboard Sup Australia facebook page and on here over the next couple of weeks we get dates out as soon as we can.

Thanks, hopefully I might get a run on them through 2up SUP here in Newcastle.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
4 Nov 2014 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

I currently have a 9.0 x 29" Pro, just had a quick demo on a 2013 8.0 x 28" and loved it!! Sooo agile and quick feeling on a wave.
Looking forward to trying the 8.0 x 29" for its extra stability.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
4 Nov 2014 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

I might have crawled out from under a rock, but did I miss the starby demo program in vic for the 2015 boards, or do I have it to look forward to yet ?

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Nov 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said..
I might have crawled out from under a rock, but did I miss the starby demo program in vic for the 2015 boards, or do I have it to look forward to yet ?

You still have it to look forward to :) will be in a few weeks time.

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
5 Nov 2014 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..
I currently have a 9.0 x 29" Pro, just had a quick demo on a 2013 8.0 x 28" and loved it!! Sooo agile and quick feeling on a wave.

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..

Select to expand quote
surfershaneA said..

Auswind said..

surfershaneA said..

Newcastle dates are a little way off after Merimbula

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
6 Nov 2014 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Auswind said..

Kieranr said..

Kieranr said..

surfershaneA said..

Auswind said..

surfershaneA said..

Newcastle dates are a little way off after Merimbula

Demos start this weekend in WA Check out FB for details

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
6 Nov 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hope the vic demos are later in November/December - I get my ear drilled on Tuesday!! Gimme 6 weeks.......

LOGOMAN
6 posts
6 Nov 2014 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone give me information about the 8 x 29, in terms of stability, compared with a 8.5 Hokua. My weight is 90 kg

windara
QLD, 256 posts
7 Nov 2014 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LOGOMAN said..
Can anyone give me information about the 8 x 29, in terms of stability, compared with a 8.5 Hokua. My weight is 90 kg

8 x 29 SB 2015 model feels better to me but still testing it out

camharvey
NSW, 192 posts
11 Nov 2014 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

picking up my new one today. Jumping down from a 8'5 mana to this so its going to be a change and at 85kg it could be the board!!
I paddled the older version at 28" and 110L and that held me well, but that new flatter deck looked way more stable. It just looked like fun when I got it out of the rack, I walked into Wind Surf and Snow for a new wetsuit and ended up with new board!!

I'll let you know how it goes....

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
11 Nov 2014 11:08AM
Thumbs Up

Awesome!! Demos of cams board all round!!! Yeeewwwww

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
11 Nov 2014 11:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said..

Totally!!! You think it will float 100?

camharvey
NSW, 192 posts
12 Nov 2014 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

Kieranr said..

Totally!!! You think it will float 100?

You two have way too much time on your hands...

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
12 Nov 2014 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

Be happy to try it when you get down south too, Cam.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
26 Nov 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Any updates on how this board goes?

camharvey
NSW, 192 posts
27 Nov 2014 5:37AM
Thumbs Up

Not the best of starts...
ever since I picked up the board I've been flat out at work, the surf has been **** and then I also tweaked my leg whilst at the gym so had to take it easy for a week.
So surfed it once in horrible on shore slop. Once I found the point to stand and paddle happy days. It was super fast getting into the waves and felt really lively. the stock starboard fins look good but still had some Jackson Close fcs/shapers fins to run. But really looking forward to a quad set up.
hopefully the weekend will give my something good.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
2 Dec 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Spent several hours each day at the Merimbula Classic on one of the Starboard demo 8.0 x 29 Pros and loved it!!
(I currently own a 2014 9.0 x 29 Pro which I think I will sell to fund an 8.0 x 29)
So much more manoeuvrable than my 9.0(To be honest the 9.0 is too much board for me as I'm between 70kg - 75kg but I like the stability and speed it provides for my first performance surf sup. I think my stance just isn't big enough to get the best out of the 9.0)
The conditions varied from 1-2ft glassy morning Merimbula Bar stuff to slightly sucky main beach waist high to the occasional clean bigger sets to win effected bumpy sloppy arvo Shorey.
Instantly felt like familiar territory when I jumped on it for the first time. I found the sweet spot to be a slightly offset stance just forward of the handle.
As Cam said before me, it paddles into waves brilliantly for a shorter board, handles paddling out through whitewash with ease(I rarely fell off) and it prone paddled very well too when it was too messy to stand up getting back out.
For me, to be able to get on a board that I dont have to constantly shuffle back and forth on once on a wave was awesome!! Had some of my best rides yet on a sup, top to bottom on the wave and able to turn with ease.
The board turns so well. I tried it as a quad and as a thruster and preferred the thruster setup with the centre fin forward of centre towards the sides.
highly recommend anyone that gets a chance at the Starboard demo trailor to give it a go.

Chilebear
128 posts
4 Dec 2014 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ioz said..

Tang said..

cheers

Hey Tang,

I found the 8 x 29 real easy to ride in semi choppy conditions, at 111 L this is a larger size than what i am used to riding,

when i came down to the 8 x 28 it actually did not feel that much different, just a honed down version of the 29 wide,

I still felt this was relatively easy to paddle, and the wave performance was just sharpened up a bit,

both boards responded well on the waves and i could not feel any negatives.

- I think it just depends on your weight and experience

if you have been supping for while and are under 85kg and want the wave performance I would go the 28 wide,

f you are over 85kg and have not been supping to long go the 29 wide and it will still perform well on the waves

Hi Ioz.If you dont mind me asking what weight and size are you? It floats really good i think.
Are you going to put a deck on it?Its a really nice looking board mate

Ioz
WA, 491 posts
6 Dec 2014 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Chilebear,

how are you doing ? -

I am 83kg on a good day and about 5 10"

and find the 8 x 28" real easy to ride.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Starboard 2015 8' x 29 x 111 litres pro carbon" started by windara