Forums > Windsurfing General

Search for windsurfer off Scarborough WA

Created by Chris6791 > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2014
Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
13 Nov 2014 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Hey all you Poleys,

I've spoken to a mate and have heard that Police were searching for a windsurfer that was seen by a bystander on the beach getting into difficulty mayby 500m out from the Scarborough Surf Club at about 6:45pm today (13/11). Best description was a triangle sail (sorry the witness wasn't a poley or kiter) with perhaps 3 or 4 red stripes. Apparently the wind was dropping off and he/she couldn't restart. The person lost sight of them as it got dark and they were still out on the water.

Water Police, airwing, rangers and local coppers have done a thorough search and believe if he/she was still out there they would have been found already. On the off chance this was you or you know who it was can you wake them up and have them contact Fremantle Water Police 9442 8600 so the search can be called off.

Cheers

Chris

Airman1
37 posts
14 Nov 2014 2:37AM
Thumbs Up

Saw the guy swim in after wind dropped! He was fine. Only had about 200m swim!

joe windsurf
1480 posts
14 Nov 2014 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

one cold spring my mast foot had issues and i was less than 200 yards from both shores of the river
decided that since i was in the middle, would repair my issue and sail back
as i was working on this i heard a firetruck, but he went by
then i heard him again coming back on other side of the bridge where i was last seen
and where the truck stopped #$%^&*(

i was pretty much done and so sailed as quickly as possible on this side of the bridge to shore
there was NO danger in my case
people get nervous when we stay in the water too long !!!

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
14 Nov 2014 8:35AM
Thumbs Up

The problem lies with the average joe that doesn't know the difference between a Poley or Kiter in distress and one that is having a bad day and getting themselves sorted and back in under their own steam. Actually it's not really a problem, I'd rather have someone looking for me than be ignored totally. The flaw is that over summer in Perth a sea search is conducted probably every few weeks or so, for this exact situation. There is no way to tell the difference so if its reported to the police they have to consider their options and it oftens means an air and beach search needs to be done to be 100% sure there isn't someone stuck out there. Reports don't always trigger a search but they do happen far more often than people realise. Hence this thread when I heard about it.

I know now the guy more than likely came back in but I also know that even after a thorough air search the local cops were still checking the beaches at 1.00am to be 100% sure someone hadn't been washed in.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Search for windsurfer off Scarborough WA" started by Chris6791