Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Brid View Mining....

Created by Macroscien > 9 months ago, 19 Nov 2014
Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
19 Nov 2014 1:31PM
Thumbs Up

Does anybody know if our mining sites are visible from satellite on Google Earth ?

I wonder how it looks, if you you could point to any of those....

Mobydisc
NSW, 9018 posts
19 Nov 2014 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Just type Broken Hill into Google Earth, zoom in and you will see the mine site in the middle of town. Type Mount Isa if you want to see a different mine. Have a search for Muswellbrook and check out all the open cut coal mines around there. If you mean to see them from space on Google Earth, there would not be any mine site in the world big enough to view from space with Google Earth on a computer monitor. I doubt you can see a mine site with the naked eye from space. They would not be big enough.

felixdcat
WA, 3519 posts
19 Nov 2014 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

www.google.com.au/maps/@-30.783677,121.5074706,6256m/data=!3m1!1e3

If you can see the great wall of China from space I am sure you can see the super pit!

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 Nov 2014 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Just Google Earth search almost any town in the Pilbara and look for the bloody great big hole in the ground nearby. Pannawonica, Newman, Tom Price, Paraburdoo... The holes in the ground are easy to spot as they are usually bigger than the town that supports it.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
19 Nov 2014 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Mt Morgan - biggest hole in the southern hemisphere (or so we were told as kids)......and that's only the town . Pit now full of water to brim where they've had to install evaporators at the lip so the nasty chemicals associated with the Gold Mine don't end up in the waterways and by extension the food chain beyond. Don't know how your sails would react with the arsenic and heavy chemicals in the water though.

myusernam
QLD, 6085 posts
19 Nov 2014 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

what about pine gap? bet there's not much there...

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
19 Nov 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

google vizmap kml for google earth, it will add labels for qld mines

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
20 Nov 2014 8:36AM
Thumbs Up

I just worked out "brid view" = "bird's eye view"

Stuthepirate
SA, 3589 posts
20 Nov 2014 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

There's 6 Iron ore mines in this photo.
3 of which produce over 55Mt/yr
See if you can spot them.
A free hi-vis Camelbak to the winner

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
20 Nov 2014 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stuthepirate said..

I'll pm you my address Stu
The real question should be which ones won't be operational in 2015 re: IO prices

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
20 Nov 2014 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sausage said..

Stuthepirate said..

I'll pm you my address Stu
The real question should be which ones won't be operational in 2015 re: IO prices

Here is your reward

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
20 Nov 2014 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
I just worked out "brid view" = "bird's eye view"

Good spotting
Indeed if I think how it could happen to me - here could be explanation. You just mechanically type with both hands and brain send signal to write b to right hand then i to left then r to right etc. Maybe just path/response reflex to right hand is quicker and right hand managed to type twice before left hand even started.....Without then optical control or spell checker you think you wrote correct word/ sometimes even brain will read it correctly without even notice .....

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
20 Nov 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

There is a kmz file here which will show you all the operating mines in Australia:

www.australianminesatlas.gov.au/mapping/downloads.html

We do a lot of mine design in our office and we've been using Google Earth a bit lately to compare different design principles. It can be quite a surprise sometimes to see what can be taken and what can be left before pit walls will fail.

sausage
QLD, 4873 posts
24 Dec 2014 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Gotta love the seabreeze community and a big thanks to Stuthepirate for sending me a xmas present - it arrived this morning. Very generous of you and hoping you and your family have a relaxing time over the xmas break. Might have to fill it with two litres of Coopers Pale Ale tomorrow

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Brid View Mining...." started by Macroscien