Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

6.4 ft, 125kg

Created by SWall > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2015
SWall
2 posts
14 Jan 2015 6:35AM
Thumbs Up

which board to buy for my husband to suit his weight 125kg 6.4 ft for a beginner

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
14 Jan 2015 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Welcome.. and you will get some good answers here..

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/big-beginners/

Where are you.. and what type of paddling will he be doing.. [flat water or surf.. or both]

SWall
2 posts
14 Jan 2015 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Sunshine Coast , flat water maybe some small waves

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
14 Jan 2015 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SWall said..

For a first board, for Hubby's height, weight and intended uses, width will be your friend, and I'd err on the side of going longer rather than too short:

Starboard: Atlas or Avanti
Naish: 10'10 Nalu or 11'6 Nalu
Fanatic: Fly Allround 11'6 x 33 or 11'0 x 32
JP: Allround 12'0 x 32

Just to name a few good allrounders for big units, there are others

OR

If he intends mostly going flat water and maybe into downwinding on the sunny coast one of the wider 14 footers would be the go (with your dimensions you'll want to stay somewhere near the 300 litre mark in these boards):

Naish: Glide 14 x 29 or 14 x 30 (these boards are quite different from each other)
DC/NSP: 14 x 29
Fanatic Falcon 14 x 29.75 (this board is a big improvement over the previous 14 x 30 Falcon IMO)
Starboard: 14 x 28 All Star (if you balance is good) .

(also if this is a gift, I'd recommend it not be a surprise - get him out there to demo a few that are available in your locale, let him make his own choice about what feels best under his feet)

sharpie
NSW, 347 posts
14 Jan 2015 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

being a big unit like myself he will need some thing AT LEAST 32" wide possibly wider so also consider starboard whopper 10' x 34"

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
14 Jan 2015 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sharpie said..
being a big unit like myself he will need some thing AT LEAST 32" wide possibly wider so also consider starboard whopper 10' x 34"

6'4 and 125 kegs => not enough meat in a whopper (from Starboard or from Hungry Jack's)

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
14 Jan 2015 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

SWall said..

This would be perfect IMO.

www.naishsurfing.com/product/mana-116-soft-top/

NinjaTurtle
QLD, 30 posts
14 Jan 2015 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Select to expand quote
sharpie said..

Sharpie the unit!!!

Locky24
QLD, 515 posts
14 Jan 2015 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SWall said..
which board to buy for my husband to suit his weight 125kg 6.4 ft for a beginner

Hi Swall,

I beat your hubby by 2 kg's at 127 but we are the same height.
Does he have a surfing background???

I also live on the sunny coast. and have just got my first Sup a few weeks ago.
Must point out that I have surfed for many years and still ride a shortboard at my weight ( 7' x 22" x 3" )

It is a Gulliver Allrounder 11'2" x 33 x 4.7 and 206 ltrs.
Brought it for the same reasons small waves and flat water. and it holds me up with ease.
This was purchased from the Goldy @ Australian Waterman. They have there own brand of board as well at 10'8 x 33 x 4.7 and 194 ltrs. ( was going to get this but loved the timber look of the Gulliver)

I also looked at what was on offer at the Surfboard warehouse at mooloolabah. Similar size to what I have now. Atlantas brand I think.

Both the above places have a great Sup package with board / cover and paddle at good prices for a first Sup ( well under 2K )

If your hubby plans on taking it in the surf get him his own 1 piece paddle cut for his size. ( don't get him an adjustable size paddle as he will break it. )

Hope this helps.

Todzilla
189 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:11AM
Thumbs Up

I was roughly that weight when i started - i'm a bit taller though… I can vouch for the Starboard Avanti as an all-rounder and the Naish Glide 14x29 as a flat water/downwinder.

And whilst you're at it better look at a good quality fixed paddle - at his height and weight he'll punish an adjustable one...

WobblyDave
SA, 8 posts
18 Jan 2015 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HumanCartoon said..

SWall said..

If he intends mostly going flat water and maybe into downwinding on the sunny coast one of the wider 14 footers would be the go (with your dimensions you'll want to stay somewhere near the 300 litre mark in these boards):

Naish: Glide 14 x 29 or 14 x 30 (these boards are quite different from each other)
Fanatic Falcon 14 x 29.75 (this board is a big improvement over the previous 14 x 30 Falcon IMO)

(also if this is a gift, I'd recommend it not be a surprise - get him out there to demo a few that are available in your locale, let him make his own choice about what feels best under his feet)

Hi HC,
Just wondering what the differences are between 14x29 and 14x30 Glide?

For the OP(SWall) I have a 14x28 Starboard All Star. I'm about 6'0 & 105kg and although I can paddle okay with my young fella(about 22kg) sitting on the front, I think it is probably not recommended. From memory 115kg is the upper weight limit posted on Starboard's website.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
18 Jan 2015 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Hi HC,

The difference is about one inch..

matt18
VIC, 534 posts
18 Jan 2015 12:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Hi HC,

but a inch is a lot

Locky24
QLD, 515 posts
18 Jan 2015 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matt18 said..

DavidJohn said..

Hi HC,

but a inch is a lot

^^^

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
18 Jan 2015 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

Hi HC,

and about 3-4kg in the GS build*.

The 14 x 29 and the 14 x 30 are VERY different shapes from each other and VERY different boards to ride. The 14 x 30 is insanely stable and feels bombproof but almost too much so - IMO it lacks a sort of "liveliness" that the 14 x 29 has...and the 14 x29 in GX has a bit more of that spark. The 14 x 30 isn't available in the GX consruction, which to my mind is a mistake, I reckon if it was in the GX and not in the GS, Naish would sell a bunch of 'em (one of them to me). You really need to paddle them.

*and so I hear "yeah that only matters on and off the car"...but at the end of a couple of hours' session when your legs and backs and arms are tired, those few extra kegs...you feel 'em.

WobblyDave
SA, 8 posts
18 Jan 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HumanCartoon said..

DavidJohn said..

Hi HC,

and about 3-4kg in the GS build*.

The 14 x 29 and the 14 x 30 are VERY different shapes from each other and VERY different boards to ride. The 14 x 30 is insanely stable and feels bombproof but almost too much so - IMO it lacks a sort of "liveliness" that the 14 x 29 has...and the 14 x29 in GX has a bit more of that spark. The 14 x 30 isn't available in the GX consruction, which to my mind is a mistake, I reckon if it was in the GX and not in the GS, Naish would sell a bunch of 'em (one of them to me). You really need to paddle them.

*and so I hear "yeah that only matters on and off the car"...but at the end of a couple of hours' session when your legs and backs and arms are tired, those few extra kegs...you feel 'em.

Thanks HC that was very interesting. So there is a real difference between the two sizes. It sounds to me like the Fanatic Falcon. I thought the 14x30 was a bit like an aircraft carrier(very stable but big and heavy). The 14x27 seemed quite a bit faster but was a little too tippy for me.

I'm still curious why on the Naish website they suggest the 14x30 is good for downwinders but not the 14x29. I know DavidJohn posted a video when I asked this on another thread but is just an omission on Naish's part or if there is more to it?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
18 Jan 2015 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

''but is just an omission on Naish's part or if there is more to it?''

Yes.. Naish should fix that.. both the 29 and 30'' wide Glides are excellent DW boards..

mmhard
NSW, 72 posts
18 Jan 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WobblyDave said..

HumanCartoon said..

SWall said..

Hi HC,

For the OP(SWall) I have a 14x28 Starboard All Star. I'm about 6'0 & 105kg and although I can paddle okay with my young fella(about 22kg) sitting on the front, I think it is probably not recommended. From memory 115kg is the upper weight limit posted on Starboard's website.

I bought the 14x30 a few weeks ago and I think HC summed accurately summed up this board in his reply in the original thread but I would say it is prob slightly heavier than the HRS Falcon but only 1kg or so. Only paddled it a few times but very happy, I'm no racer at all but for someone over 110kgs it is a great touring/race board and does seem just about bulletproof. I only carry it a few hundred metres or so at most so no prob with the weight.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/Review/2014-Naish-Glide-14x30/?SearchTerms=Glide,14,x,30

cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"6.4 ft, 125kg" started by SWall