Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Paddle grip

Created by windara > 9 months ago, 31 May 2015
windara
QLD, 256 posts
31 May 2015 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Any schmick ideas on adding a little grip to the T handle and shaft? I don't want to wrap dodgy heavy tape around it but just something to take the slip off it. ( Im currently using SB paddles.) Cheers

Tardy
4930 posts
31 May 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

You can buy no slip in a roll ..it's thin and hardly noticeable ...or rub a bit of surfboard WAX on it that will helps a bit , repels the water.
no more slip .simple.and it works.its usually the oil out of our hands or sunblock .that makes my paddle slippery.wax works for the feet why not the hands ...try.

SUPbru
386 posts
1 Jun 2015 5:21AM
Thumbs Up

I actually applied a bit of left-over Monster Paint spray on deck grip on a tiny section where I generally grip when paddling onto a wave (I don't use that part of the shaft during flat water paddling) & it works a treat. It also acts as a reference point to make sure my left hand is in the correct position

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
1 Jun 2015 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

Naish have a great paddle shaft grip that is very good.. and I think RSPro ( Rail Saver Pro ) also have one that I'm keen to try..

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Stand-Up-Paddle/SUP/How-to-stick-on-paddle-grip/

www.rspro.org/products/paddle-grip-rspro-hexa

colas
4993 posts
1 Jun 2015 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Many solutions exist:
- a very light layer of monster paint or equivalent. If you get a rash, just sand it slightly.
- for the shaft only, some versa traction or other adhesive clear pad. Does not work as well with dry hands.
- a dedicated paddle grip, like DJ said (not yet tested)
- wax, use the hardest one (tropical water). A bit messy but I love it to get back the smell of wax in the morning that you lose with padded SUPs.
- very lightly sand (200 grit) the shaft & handle to rough it a bit, being careful not to sand into the fiber. This is what I use.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
1 Jun 2015 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

Wax. Easy and cheap

windara
QLD, 256 posts
1 Jun 2015 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

awesome guys. Some great ideas there!! Thanks :)

JohnnyMaya
196 posts
2 Jun 2015 5:25AM
Thumbs Up

Another easy solution is going with a Ke Nalu as your next paddle!!!

windara
QLD, 256 posts
2 Jun 2015 11:20AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnnyMaya said..

Hey Johnny do they have an oval shaft?

robbo1111
NSW, 620 posts
2 Jun 2015 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windara said..

JohnnyMaya said..

Hey Johnny do they have an oval shaft?

No they don't. Awesome paddle but still slippery as buggery, especially the handle. I finally binned the handle for an old one with a firm, spongy grip. I also use wax on the shaft, the sharkskin finish actually makes applying the wax really easy.

Loz79
QLD, 459 posts
2 Jun 2015 7:49PM
Thumbs Up

I tried wax but it just melted and was messy (im in QLD)... For the shaft i got some non slip tape from Bunnings. It comes in a roll 25 mm wide x a few metres long for around $10. I put two strips down the shaft where i grip. Been on for months and is still great...

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Paddle grip" started by windara