Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

10ft class?

Created by paul.j > 9 months ago, 16 Jul 2015
paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
16 Jul 2015 9:56AM
Thumbs Up

Hey all
I'm stoked to see a long board class coming in to a heap of events and this is something i have been pushing for a while but the more i look at it i just wonder if 10ft is the right size and it should not be some thing like 9ft? My feeling is a 9ft longboard more style class would suit a bit better allowing the boards to have a bit more the best of both worlds with a board that can still be thrown around but still have that nice old school style and look, where as a 10ft board is cool and but in the world of SUP its still a huge board even 9ft is really still a pretty big board these days. Just a thought and while this class is still new it's better to explore these ideas now rather than wait until its way to late.
On another positive for 9ft most brands already have long board style boards of some nature in their line up at around this size, but just putting it out there for a bit of discussion either way.

ODSUP
NSW, 282 posts
16 Jul 2015 10:32AM
Thumbs Up

we will give a go at next years Scott's event as you can see the over the 10fters did well this year

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
16 Jul 2015 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah agree Jacko plenty of really good 9-6 , 9-8 production boards around . I think it should be dropped down to 9-6 and up 9-0 is a bit low and defeats the purpose a little.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
16 Jul 2015 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Nah dont agree.....

Leave it 10ft for the pureness of a gigantic block of foam that behaves badly with a paddle

Back to the roots of sup

The tanker class!!!!

Gives us pie eaters a bit of an advantage over all you fricken whippets

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Jul 2015 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

The 10' length works as majority of boards sold in Australia and internationally are over 10'. The class is designed to actually support the realistic market, not the top 1%, encouraging more participation from a greater audience. Going to 9' would not achieve this same goal. In the season just passed, the first year the SPSC adopted the 10'+ class, memberships and comp attendances increased dramatically. This will continue to do so for the up coming season also as I believe SPSC is now increasing the number of events in the 10'+ division.

As seasoned riders, we like performance, and going shorter and lower in volume is always great to achieve this, but it is not necessarily the best thing for the clubs and growth of the sport.

Maybe as the sport continues to mature there will be an elite Longboard SUP class at 9', but I do not think it should replace the 10'+ class.

My 2c

Ride safe,

JB

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
16 Jul 2015 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

I see where everyone is coming from but i just don't want to see the same thing happen with this as what has happened with the racing and getting stuck with a certain size just because it was the first size thought of. IMO 9ft or 9'6 is still a huge piece of foam but might just save the sport from creating another class once people start to make it more compitive as what aways happens.
either way no big deal to me but my feeling is more thought in to it now could save a huge headache in the future.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
16 Jul 2015 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

Can people enter on a 12"6 race board for these 10"+ comps ?

Windgenuity
NSW, 610 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Jul 2015 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

as long as it it over 10'! Go for it.

It has been interesting speaking to a lot of the core guys who hadn't ridden their 10' -11'6"+ board in ages until the division came into effect round here, and now these boards are again their most ridden boards (myself included). I think we quickly forget why we loved SUP in the first place, and the 10'+ brings back those giggle sessions.

JB

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
16 Jul 2015 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

Meet you half way I think it should be over 9"6 if you want to have a big increase in numbers then there is a lot of people out there who only have one board around 9"6/9"8. 10" means having 2 boards for a lot of people.. Just my thoughts

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
16 Jul 2015 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I see jacko's idea but I think people would abuse the length and roll up will hp models where that really isn't effective at 10 ft.

pretty sure that dogman scum would roll up a some kind of pulled in nose and tail weapon at 2 inches thick with 3 inch fins

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
16 Jul 2015 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Seconded

ODSUP
NSW, 282 posts
16 Jul 2015 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

Thinking about it the 10ft division should stay

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
16 Jul 2015 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

I think above 9 is the go.great to see the biggwr boards coming back though.

HGFish
NSW, 148 posts
16 Jul 2015 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Stating the obvious - In comps you're free to ride whatever size you like, seems a bit odd to jump up a foot or at the very most two from your "short board" to the 9' and over class. Many manufacturers make some pretty handy boards in the 9' range that can ride short boardish but 10' is a different style of surfing. My 2c is leave it as is and have a 10' + class and leave everything else for the open class.

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
16 Jul 2015 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

9'8 and over for me, love my old school starby element!!!

ockanui
VIC, 1298 posts
16 Jul 2015 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

IMO the ten footers class allow more opportunity for the "longboard" style to be achieved, boards need to be in the shape that goes with that style, I have a few shorter boards including one at 9'8 that is no way of longboard style and would not allow for all the purist manoeuvres of a longboard, I guess you can have a mini mal but that defeats the criteria .. Nah keep the loggers as is ..even if they are big mongrels....maybe just get one made that is a performance longboard....

Scotty Mac
SA, 2048 posts
16 Jul 2015 5:31PM
Thumbs Up

I am with you Jacko,
9'6" is way big enough.

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said..
Hey all
I'm stoked to see a long board class coming in to a heap of events and this is something i have been pushing for a while but the more i look at it i just wonder if 10ft is the right size and it should not be some thing like 9ft? My feeling is a 9ft longboard more style class would suit a bit better allowing the boards to have a bit more the best of both worlds with a board that can still be thrown around but still have that nice old school style and look, where as a 10ft board is cool and but in the world of SUP its still a huge board even 9ft is really still a pretty big board these days. Just a thought and while this class is still new it's better to explore these ideas now rather than wait until its way to late.
On another positive for 9ft most brands already have long board style boards of some nature in their line up at around this size, but just putting it out there for a bit of discussion either way.

Nah. Mal comps are 9' and in the logger divisions, even the lightweights ride 9'4" boards. Minimum 10' puts the board into the realm of style and NOT slash. There are good riders out there who can get vertical on a 9' sup and for the long sup comps that's not the point. Gives the big boys a red hot go. There are a couple of local "big Boys" who are great to watch. Style over rip-tear any day.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:20PM
Thumbs Up

I've even seen guys who don't Surf SUP give Casso a run for his money. For a heat anyway.

paul.j
QLD, 3300 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Pretty much as i thought with a split with some for and some against!!

Maybe this might help and that is if part of this new class is about participation then if it was made 9ft or 9'6 would any of the guys who want 10ft not complete? If the answer is you would still go in the event then it should go to the smaller board which is still not that small as it would allow people who still have there old 9ft Nalu or 9'8 starboard or anything else people have lying about to complete. You have to remember this is a class that is all about style not airs and maybe by riding the 10ft board you can still beat a 9ft board as style is king.

As you can see its not just cut and dry and just because a few company's now make special 10ft boards should that dictate that 10ft should have to stay if its not 100%right. All i say is have a good think about 2 or 3 years down the track and not just whats cool right now, maybe 10ft is right but even with the for and against we have had on here it might be worth a good talk about it at club or state level just to make sure.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tha dogman said..
Nah dont agree.....

Leave it 10ft for the pureness of a gigantic block of foam that behaves badly with a paddle

Back to the roots of sup

The tanker class!!!!

Gives us pie eaters a bit of an advantage over all you fricken whippets

Agreed

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

If its truly a community division then should be amateur only. or have 2, am and pro.

Even though my log is 1 inch short, i say stick with 10ft.

murf
SA, 477 posts
16 Jul 2015 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Scotty Mac said..
I am with you Jacko,
9'6" is way big enough.

You just want to ride that gun of yours in the comps Scotty!!! I know what you are up too

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
16 Jul 2015 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

JB said:- Going to 9' would not achieve this same goal. In the season just passed, the first year the SPSC adopted the 10'+ class, memberships and comp attendances increased dramatically.

Really good point JB but there are still some really good production boards around the 9-6 + mark that suit the +10-0 category. The down side is if someone gets a custom 9-6 made like a performance board , but that's already happening in the 10-0 class. Either way I'm happy to see the new class and power to the punters it's all about getting more people to compete.

This is Jackson Close new Deep way more like a high performance mal than 10 foot Sup logger. Great looking board and he will be competing on it this Saturday in the Qld Titles. JP have a new performance 10-0 coming out and if all the majors follow it will defeat the purpose 10+ punters class. By dropping it a little to 9-6 + it opens up a whole range in all brands of semi performance stock boards already on the shelf. Just my humble opinion to avoid it becoming an Americas Cup 10-0 class.

Surfrod66
NSW, 665 posts
16 Jul 2015 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

9' or 9'6 for ladies and juniors..

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
16 Jul 2015 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

While we are all getting hot n heavy below the belt about the 10' class .

Do you think it should go down the path like "longboarding" did. and have a "box rule" with dimension guidelines.

To stop nut cases like me rocking up with an over sized skimboard and blowing up ....

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
16 Jul 2015 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Ummm....wouldn't am and pro solve the problems forseen above

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
16 Jul 2015 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said...
JB said:- Going to 9' would not achieve this same goal. In the season just passed, the first year the SPSC adopted the 10'+ class, memberships and comp attendances increased dramatically.

There goes the neighbourhood

Nice tail

riverider
TAS, 1096 posts
16 Jul 2015 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

i reckon dropping the board size sounds good and will get more in, just get the judges to judge like a longboard comp, we have guys prone surfing their big sups in the mal division at our local Boardrider club comps

Judging Criteria for Longboard
The Surfer must perform controlled manoeuvres in the critical section of the wave utilizing the ENTIRE board and wave using traditional longboard surfing. The Surfer who performs this to the highest degree of difficulty with the most style, flow and grace will receive the highest score for a Ride.Further to that above, the following are key elements for judges to consider:• Nose riding and rail surfing
• Critical section of wave
• Variety
• Speed and power
• Commitment
• Control
• Foot work

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
16 Jul 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
husq2100 said..

Been drinking Serg ...I'll translate:- Wouldn't amateur & professional divisions solve the foreseen problems above . No not really it's all about getting more people to compete on what they already have.

Dogman said:- While we are all getting hot n heavy below the belt about the 10' class . Do you think it should go down the path like "longboarding" did. and have a "box rule" with dimension guidelines. To stop nut cases like me rocking up with an over sized skimboard and blowing up ....

Yes mate people like you and Tully could ruin it for all of us...... we never want to go down the road of the sh!t fight of traditional & progressive mal scenario. That's why I would like to see 9-6 + and it's judged on traditional style. Knee drop heli reversers and nose walking you go too short you can't do that. Right up you alley Rog.

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
16 Jul 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said..

husq2100 said..

Been drinking Serg ...I'll translate:- Wouldn't amateur & professional divisions solve the foreseen problems above . No not really it's all about getting more people to compete on what they already have.

Dogman said:- While we are all getting hot n heavy below the belt about the 10' class . Do you think it should go down the path like "longboarding" did. and have a "box rule" with dimension guidelines. To stop nut cases like me rocking up with an over sized skimboard and blowing up ....

Yes mate people like you and Tully could ruin it for all of us...... we never want to go down the road of the sh!t fight of traditional & progressive mal scenario. That's why I would like to see 9-6 + and it's judged on traditional style. Knee drop heli reversers and nose walking you go too short you can't do that. Right up you alley Rog.

so since it is a COMP and that brings with it competetive nature, do you think people may be a little put off having to go up against some of the pros.....ok so they are good on short sups, maybe the likes of JC and Beau Nixon arent much good on long boards ......there has been some concern already expressed re hi-po boards, why does it matter what someone else rides???.....glug glug glug

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"10ft class?" started by paul.j