Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Waterproof Housing options

Created by Ted the Kiwi > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2015
Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
19 Oct 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone used one of these before to shoot in the waves? They say 20m depth - so does that mean it would handle the pressure from a decent set on the head on a reef break?

These seem like a cheap solution - but sometimes cheap does not mean good - especially with a reasonable camera / lens setup at stake. I was thinking of getting one of these for my 60D and just using the cheap 1.8 50mm on it. Would not destroy me if it failed just annoy me. How would they go with a bit of movement at the front of the lens? The 50mm is a relatively short lens - so there would be a bit of excess but not too much. Reluctant to use any of my decent lenses until I was pretty comfortable. If the camera itself fails then its a good excuse to upgrade anyway. If it works - would be a win / win.

I have been trying to buy a proper second hand housing for about 12mths but no luck - loads of 7D equipment around but 60D seems almost impossible to get.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20M-DSLR-SLR-Canon-Nikon-Camera-Waterproof-Underwater-Housing-Case-Bag-Lens-14CM-/271720225320?hash=item3f43c99a28:g:84cAAOSwm8VUuJFi

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 Oct 2015 2:05PM
Thumbs Up

My first thought is that while it might be waterproof, it isn't exactly impact resistant. After a good set on the head it might just mean your broken camera is still dry.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Oct 2015 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

would you really risk a 60d to find out ?

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
19 Oct 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Well thats why I am asking the question here in case anyone has had a play already. I know people who have wrapped their cameras up in plastic bags and got some pretty good results. I would prefer not to destroy it. Pretty sure I can avoid impact damage. Really - its just the water I am concerned about.

I was sort of thinking of it this way - its probably worth about $300 to me - brought it for $650 new 2.5 years ago. Its had a solid amount of use. It is not exactly what I want anymore so happy to move it on. If for the sake of $40 I could turn it into something I can use in the water - it would be great. If not then I am going to have to upgrade anyway and the type of setups I have been looking at will cost a few bob - so the expected value of the $40 bag is huge and worth the risk - if I got some positive feedback from anyone else who has been using them.

firiebob
WA, 3131 posts
19 Oct 2015 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Me thinks, a proper housing will cost an arm and a leg and go a long way towards a new 7D11. If most of your shots are on dry ground, I'd go a new 7 one day and keep the 60 for the waves. I have a new 7 and would be too scared to use in waves, I've kept my old 60 and have used that with a similar housing your looking at, not in waves just flat water trying under/overs and then only a couple of times. My housing was a 2nd hand gift from a mate who has stepped up to a pro housing, I'd spew if I'd buggered my 60 but wouldn't lose too much sleep, just saying Oh and I did find the housing frustrating with a short lens but then a bit of practice wouldn't hurt.

thesaltydrifter
8 posts
19 Oct 2015 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey mate, I used something similar when I started out in surf photography and used a guy in the US who makes a more heavy duty rubber cover know as 'Outex Housing'. As others have said, you'll get the waterproofing OK but it will be the impact issues that will affect the camera. Don't forget if you go over the falls and it's low tide on a shallow bank, you're most definitely to knock the camera on something reefy; Murphy's Law. But they work for what they do and even a gopro these days at 12MP is pretty decent especially if you're computer savvy and know how to post edit. So weigh up the risks. Most important thing is to make sure when connected, the seals are sealed well.

Alternatively keep looking for a housing that will fit your camera but doesn't have to be the exact model then contact the manufacturers for the cable connection to allow it to work in said housing. Many of these guys who make housings are good blokes happy to answer a question any time. Even better for slightly more than a new 60D, pretty sure Liquideye Housing (Phil) does a housing model you could get.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
20 Oct 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for those thoughts Salty and Bob. The 7D Mk2 is a beautiful piece of machinery - so if I am going to have to go and buy me a proper rig like those Liquid Eyes then I will go the 7D M2 and just sell the 60D. I had a Gro Pro 2 many years ago and was very disappointed with its performance. The new ones seem to go pretty good from some of the reviews I have seen. Everyone seems to take vid these days but I am old school and still love the pics. Will see if I can get a play with the new Go Pro on pic mode and see how she performs. Past experience with those is that they do not perform well in poor light / early morning.

Thanks for the advice.

AUS 808
WA, 440 posts
21 Oct 2015 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

I would get the clear one so you can see how much water is in it

DanozDirect
QLD, 106 posts
21 Oct 2015 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

I do a lot of diving and one of the problems with this product would be expansion on the way up (ie: it could pop!). Most likely, you would have to push out as much air as possible from the bag before diving, otherwise when you start to rise, the bag will expand, and expand and POP! I guess they are more suitable for surface based photography. If it was going to work under water at depth, why aren't professional dive photographers using them? It's not worth the risk.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
21 Oct 2015 12:41PM
Thumbs Up

^^^
that argument is flawed as the air inside would be compressed on the way down, then expand back to normal on the way back up.

westozwind
WA, 1379 posts
21 Oct 2015 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Had great success to date with my Outex. Not $40 tho, but way cheaper than a dedicated housing.
can ues it with any DSLR so when you update, no need to buy a new one.
using a 40D in mine with various lenses.
outex.com/
Great for a day at the beach, in and out of the water.

Ted the Kiwi
NSW, 14256 posts
21 Oct 2015 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Those Outex ones look like the perfect compromise. Yes still some impact issues to consider but the places I have in mind to use it will be fine if I am careful

Thanks for the help fellas.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Waterproof Housing options" started by Ted the Kiwi