Learning to kitesurf in Malaysia

Created by lmcintosh > 9 months ago, 18 Jan 2016
lmcintosh
1 posts
18 Jan 2016 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

First post here!

Is there any advice out there in regards to learning to kitesurf in Malaysia?

I will be there in June or July this year.

Cheers,
Lachlan

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
18 Jan 2016 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

That's 6 months away
, learn today in wa

AussieDave
WA, 68 posts
18 Jan 2016 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

+1 for Cauncy's advice ..

still a lot of the season left .. learn here and then when you go up take some additional lessons to get better or just enjoy it !!

kitebt
NSW, 325 posts
19 Jan 2016 8:46AM
Thumbs Up

My advice is don't learn in Malaysia. Take lessons from your local kite shop instead and learn here and then go and enjoy some kiting in Malaysia. I say this for two reasons:

1) You may save a few bucks by learning in Malaysia but at what cost to your personal safety?
2) If we don't keep our local kite businesses in business then we only damage our sport here in Australia?
3) If you think you can learn to kite during a short holiday to Malaysia you underestimate the sport all together.

Sometimes things that look like a good idea on the surface are not good ideas at all.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
19 Jan 2016 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

I've been to Malaysia many times (east coast, west coast and the islands) but never once considered taking my kites, theres just not enough wind but I just did a quick search, looks like the popular places are in the east coast/islands and average 10-15 knots.

garratt
VIC, 10 posts
19 Jan 2016 4:21PM
Thumbs Up

I used to live in Malaysia. Not a windy place at all, on either coast. From memory there is a small kite school about an hour Nth of Kuantan on the East Coast, but their idea of EPIC wind conditions is a 15kt gust. I worked in that area at various times but never even considered kiting there. Instead, I flew to Thailand and kited in 15-20kt wind.

Malaysia is a fantastic place to visit, but not for kiting.

crimpster
NSW, 14 posts
20 Jan 2016 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

From KL you can fly to Banda Aceh in Indo that seems to have good wind.

www.aceh-kitecamp.com/

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
20 Jan 2016 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
garratt said..
I used to live in Malaysia. Not a windy place at all, on either coast. From memory there is a small kite school about an hour Nth of Kuantan on the East Coast, but their idea of EPIC wind conditions is a 15kt gust. I worked in that area at various times but never even considered kiting there. Instead, I flew to Thailand and kited in 15-20kt wind.

Malaysia is a fantastic place to visit, but not for kiting.

pretty much spot on . west coast forget it . Up around kuantan when i was there with the family it never reached anything over 15 knots and like northern aust it was a weak as piss 15 knots . More like 6 knots in perth . I would have even had trouble on my foil and 19m kite in those conditions

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Learning to kitesurf in Malaysia" started by lmcintosh