Forums > Kitesurfing General

Just bought 3 north rhino kites. Ok for beginner?

Created by Stndthtshtup > 9 months ago, 31 Oct 2016
Stndthtshtup
7 posts
31 Oct 2016 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, New to the forum. I just mozed to OZ from Las Vegas ...I am a complete beginner just did my lessons and have been looking for gear. So I found a deal on these kites but now that I look at them I'm not sure if they will work looks like they are 5 line kites.

Can I use these? Are they ok for a beginner? Should I keep or just try to resell?

The guy I bought them from said they were 5 years old they look older to me any idea what year they might be?

Thank you all for any help you have

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
31 Oct 2016 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

In Vegas everyone's a winner right?

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
31 Oct 2016 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

90% of the people that come to Vegas are winners at some point!! less than 10% of those leave with any winnings

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
31 Oct 2016 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

how much did you pay for these ?

where did you have your lessons and how long ago .

sorry to say you've been bent over a barrel and f$cked sideways with no lube

MrFreeze
289 posts
31 Oct 2016 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dusta said..
how much did you pay for these ?

where did you have your lessons and how long ago .

sorry to say you've been bent over a barrel and f$cked sideways with no lube

Hmmmmm., lol, very expicit reply.

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
31 Oct 2016 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

$400

Very recently just finished last week

Does that mean there unusable? Or just to old?

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
31 Oct 2016 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

well just make sure you learn how to edge properly, really quickly.

Technology (and how safe, stable, useable a kite is) has vastly improved since the old rhinos, but man they boosted well.

That is the concern the guys above are really getting at.

But a lot us flew them back then, some learned on them (the ones late to the party). I just hope you are an athletic watermen (and slightly nuts) unlike 90 percent of people I see learning the sport who should be playing lawn bowls.

and freeze...I feel violated you critiqued another mans post...

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
31 Oct 2016 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

I am defiantly nuts, my main sport is skydiving but at the same time I'm not stupid about it. If this gear is out of my range or will get me hurt I'd rather go a different direction!

I guess the question is do I try to return them he did tell me they were 5 years old which I don't believe after researching them? Or try to resell myself? or thirdly suck it up and try to use them?

Jono77
WA, 348 posts
31 Oct 2016 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

There are much easier, safer kites to learn on these days. You might be able to resell them to an experienced rider but if they are experienced, they might want newer kites.

Hard to say what to do with them now but probably find something else to learn on.

To find out the age, some brands encorporate the year of production into the series number. Alternatively someone on here might be very familiar with these and can tell you the year.

FishOutOfWater
QLD, 20 posts
31 Oct 2016 3:26PM
Thumbs Up

Get rid of them and cut your losses. Those kites are old C-style Rhinos which were discontinued (as C-style kites) in 2006. I took my beatings learning on a 14m Rhino in 2005 - they were an advanced rider kite at the time and I wasn't! Get a kite made in the last 5 years and you'll be good.

Some of the launches around Vegas are really sketch - Lake Mojave comes to mind - a mate of mine had a really bad accident there due to the rotoring winds a few years back. Those old C-kites have alot of trouble dealing with those sorts of conditions.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
31 Oct 2016 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

What happened in Vegas should stay in Vegas
Along with those kites
Did my first big air jumps on the rhino
But I didn't mean to do them

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
31 Oct 2016 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stndthtshtup said..
I am defiantly nuts, my main sport is skydiving

I just finished my skydiving lessons and bought this for sale real cheap, would you recommend it ?

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
31 Oct 2016 5:48PM
Thumbs Up

Id be surprised if they even pump up.

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
31 Oct 2016 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

I wrote the guy who sold them to me! we will see if he will take them back as he told me they were 5 years old :/

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
What happened in Vegas should stay in Vegas
Along with those kites
Did my first big air jumps on the rhino
But I didn't mean to do them

For the record Bought them here in Adelaide .. So what your saying is if I want to go big keep them ! gotcha.

Select to expand quote
cbulota said...
Stndthtshtup said..
I am defiantly nuts, my main sport is skydiving

I just finished my skydiving lessons and bought this for sale real cheap, would you recommend it ?

I highly recommend these.. You're wanting to become bionic on you lower half right?!?

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
31 Oct 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

As much as we all comment, half of us learned on kites similar to these, but we all have newer and better kites our garage that we dont use than the ones you bought.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
31 Oct 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Dude they are anything but 5 years old. get ya money back and buy a sensible kite to learn on. Whoever sold them to you as a beginner...punch him fair square in the bloody nose, try and break it if you can....grrrrrr, fck wit.

holgs
WA, 294 posts
31 Oct 2016 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

They are 2006 rhinos. 2017 model kites have been in the shop for a couple of months now. i.e your kites are 11 years old!

I have three 2005 rhinos in the garage. Haven't used them since 2008 but never felt that I could sell them to anyone and still sleep at night (not even back in 2009) as there are much better and much safer kites to learn on these days. But they were good kites at the time.

It's possible to learn on them but why would you bother when you can make it much easier and safer for yourself. You can get 2012 model kites that would be great for beginners for $300 here on seabreeze. Kite design has changed a lot from 2006 to 2012 but much less so in the last 5 years.

gdownie
NSW, 141 posts
1 Nov 2016 6:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hi
Must agree with the comments of "dont learn on these"
if you survive using them for sure you will slow yourself up for sure in the learning curve
and hurt yourself or others in the process.
even pack them away for the years to come after you learn on something decent and safe.
Get lessons and and ask your instructors to recommend you will be much happier.

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
1 Nov 2016 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

Who could offer him a newer kite for free? (in case he gets stitched up)

Ive just thrown out some oldies, but im sure people have some terrible kites they dont use.

kkiter
NSW, 452 posts
1 Nov 2016 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Name and shame the grub if he doesn't refund your money!

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
1 Nov 2016 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Well many text and calls no response from the bastard :/ suprise suprise!! looks like I did get it with no lube.

I'd love not to sell these but can't really afford not to maybe recoup something so I can afford something decent in the next couple months
If anyone did have some old kite they hook me up with I be most grateful and happily burn these SOB

Thank you all for the advice and the laughs through this rough learning experience, it was all appreciated!
I forsee I'll be around more!

slyfox
VIC, 318 posts
1 Nov 2016 3:48PM
Thumbs Up

Poor bastard. I have a great Wipika kite available and a Naish Blacktip, both perfect for beginners and <12 months old going cheap. PM me.

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
1 Nov 2016 1:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slyfox said..
Poor bastard. I have a great Wipika kite available and a Naish Blacktip, both perfect for beginners and <12 months old going cheap. PM me.

you sly fox you...

bjw
NSW, 3567 posts
1 Nov 2016 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

Someone surely in his area has some crap kite in their garage they havent used for 5 years..

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
1 Nov 2016 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stndthtshtup said..

If anyone did have some old kite they hook me up with I be most grateful and happily burn these SOB

Burn them now, we need a sacrifice to the wind gods after the **** season last year.

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
1 Nov 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

I've had the best wagu steak ever it cost $56
I'll sell it to you tomorrow for $6 ... That's a bargain. It'll look and smell a tad different tho.

Stndthtshtup
7 posts
1 Nov 2016 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
slyfox said...

Dude thanks a million .. seriously anything you could hook me up with would help ..

I'll defiantly hook you up back I'll take you on a skydive for free I have some gear that would be good for beginners I'm sure it's in line with what you hooking me up with

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
1 Nov 2016 7:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stndthtshtup said..

slyfox said...

Dude thanks a million .. seriously anything you could hook me up with would help ..

I'll defiantly hook you up back I'll take you on a skydive for free I have some gear that would be good for beginners I'm sure it's in line with what you hooking me up with

Bahahahahahahahhahaahahha. You'll fit right in around here ...

Redgy
WA, 117 posts
1 Nov 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Stndthtshtup said..

slyfox said...

Yeah i have some skydiveing gear that i am looking to get rid of it's a icarus jvx119; pd 126 reserve in a mirage g4 container with cypres 2 speed that would be perfect for anyone thinking of starting skydiving

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
1 Nov 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

If you get your money back, I know where you can get a Wipika Torque or a Slongshot Fuel for the same price. Kite only, 2002 models. Comes with free FixIt kit...

Just2807
180 posts
1 Nov 2016 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

Buy trashed modern (or at least safer) kite with healthy tube(s) and resew the fabrics :P At least that would be more fun than just sitting and watching your loss :| You can get kite some pro kite flying skillz in shallow water or in the field. Maybe even a buggy eh? :D
Fun little garage project doe.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Just bought 3 north rhino kites. Ok for beginner?" started by Stndthtshtup