Wagonga Inlet detected with potentially harmful toxins

Residents in NSW' Narooma area are being advised that marine algal blooms have been detected in the Wagonga Inlet. Toxins that exceed food safety guidelines have also been detected in shellfish from the Inlet.

The type of toxin detected can cause Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning. Symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhoea, confusion, memory loss, seizure, coma and in extreme circumstances can even result in permanent brain damage or death.

The levels of toxins detected in the Wagonga Inlet aren't expected to result in illness however toxin levels can increase quickly during an algal bloom.

Due to this the Wagonga Inlet has been closed to all commercial shellfish harvesting and people are advised to avoid collecting and eating shellfish (oysters, mussels, cockles, pipis and scallops) from the Inlet and Narooma areas or to seek medical advice if they feel unwell after consuming wild shellfish from the areas.

The algal bloom and shellfish toxin levels in Wagonga Inlet will continue to be monitored.

People are also being advised to watch out for any discolouration of the water when visiting the beach in these areas, and to avoid contact with water and surf where water is discoloured or there is a build up of foam.