Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Do you need 'rocks in your head' to build a new home in 2022?

Created by myscreenname > 9 months ago, 30 Jul 2022
myscreenname
1322 posts
30 Jul 2022 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

I'm renovating a bathroom and I'm thinking it's going to take at least 6 months and will cost up to 50% more than it would have in 2019. It's ok as I invested in bitcoin.

So many delays. The spa bath we ordered 2 months ago, we've just been told is another 2 months away. It's all moving along, but at an absolute snails pace.

Neighbors are planning on a knock down and rebuild next year. I just can't see that happening. I reckon they have rocks in their heads.

What are your supply chain, labour shortage issues? Will supply lines improve or get far worse as time goes on?

Brent in Qld
WA, 860 posts
30 Jul 2022 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

I'm currently on contract as a purchasing officer in the marine game. Can't get people and anything of wood or metal is going up quarterly, in some cases by double digits and shows no signs of slowing. General supply chain seems to be settling down a bit. Securing fixed price or time frames on long term projects can't be undertaken like the past.
If it was me, in the back of my mind I'd budget +40 percent whatever I was told about products ( be happy if you can get the stuff you want) and double the original time frame of original project estimates.

psychojoe
WA, 1880 posts
30 Jul 2022 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Depends where you're building I guess. The boom and bust cycle that WA operates on hit bust again the second the current interest rate rise was announced.
The mines are still busy but it won't be long before Perth based tradies are willing to travel again

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 757 posts
31 Jul 2022 8:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..
Depends where you're building I guess. The boom and bust cycle that WA operates on hit bust again the second the current interest rate rise was announced.
The mines are still busy but it won't be long before Perth based tradies are willing to travel again

I have a mate who works for a home construction co in Perth, they are working on 3 years for a build if you sign up now.

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
31 Jul 2022 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

That's nuts when you consider the housing shortage. So Govt's answer is to slow things even more, and a Treasurer who tells us we are lucky as it will improve in late 2023. Let them eat cake .....

psychojoe
WA, 1880 posts
31 Jul 2022 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CH3MTR4IL5 said..

psychojoe said..

I have a mate who works for a home construction co in Perth, they are working on 3 years for a build if you sign up now.

Send me his number. I might need it if the phone doesn't ring next week.

bjw
NSW, 3584 posts
1 Aug 2022 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myscreenname said..
It's ok as I invested in bitcoin.

Best comment ever!

CH3MTR4IL5
WA, 757 posts
2 Aug 2022 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
psychojoe said..

CH3MTR4IL5 said..

psychojoe said..

Send me his number. I might need it if the phone doesn't ring next week.

If you're a chippy i'll ring you now, been waiting four months for a roof!

Carantoc
WA, 6366 posts
3 Aug 2022 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myscreenname said..
I'm renovating a bathroom and I'm thinking it's going to take at least 6 months and will cost up to 50% more than it would have in 2019. It's ok as I invested in bitcoin...

Let me guess...

The builder gave you a quote...

..then you ranted on about how awesome you are 'cause you invest in bitcoin and are super rich.....

..then he comes back and the price has suddenly gone up ??

rocks in the head, you say...

myscreenname
1322 posts
3 Aug 2022 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Carantoc said..

Let me guess...

The builder gave you a quote...

..then you ranted on about how awesome you are 'cause you invest in bitcoin and are super rich.....

..then he comes back and the price has suddenly gone up ??

rocks in the head, you say...

Actually, nah. Nothing like that at all. You bean-head boomers assume way too much!

Our plumbers initial quote for bathroom is going to be pretty much spot on. More expensive than the last time I reconfigured a much smaller bathroom many years ago. Plumber also invests in crypto, so he's not some normie rimmer.

We are experiencing delays, like just about everyone who is having work done on their property, with materials and trades. For example spa bath was ordered 2 months ago is now delayed another 2 months.

Carantoc
WA, 6366 posts
4 Aug 2022 4:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myscreenname said..
...For example spa bath was ordered 2 months ago is now delayed another 2 months.

Have you considered one of those time-machine hot tubs ?

That way you could get it 2 months before you ordered it.

I saw a documentary on TV about it once. A bunch of guys who seemed quite like yourself tried one out.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Do you need 'rocks in your head' to build a new home in 2022?" started by myscreenname