Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Why don't we send 400 Victorians to India for science?

Created by myscreenname Two weeks ago, 27 May 2021
myscreenname
330 posts
27 May 2021 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Send four hundred Victorians there:

1. One hundred who have taken Pfizer
2. One hundred who have taken Astrazeneca
3. One hundred who have had virus (maybe Missy Higgins dad could be captain?)
4. One hundred volunteers, or safe injecting room users, who haven't had the virus.

We could lower them into India using helicopters and big numbered cages for 24 or more hours.

That should help the government know what to do next.

Craig66
NSW, 2154 posts
27 May 2021 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, first, second, third and forth on the plane should be myscreenname

cauncy
WA, 8131 posts
27 May 2021 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myscreenname said..

4. One hundred volunteers, or safe injecting room users, who haven't had the virus.
5 All must be Windwingers
We could lower them into India using helicopters and big numbered cages for 24 or more hours.

Fixed that up for you

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
27 May 2021 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myscreenname said..

I think the federal government has decided that is a good idea, but to save some money they are going to send them all to Melbourne.

Who needs dedicated quarantine facilities when you can just shutdown vicco when there is the need?

Mark _australia
WA, 20428 posts
27 May 2021 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah too late, they already sent all of India to Vic for the last couple decades

bjw
NSW, 3338 posts
28 May 2021 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

Can Victoria get it right for once?

kato
VIC, 2939 posts
28 May 2021 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

We did except, NSW and SA gave us the virus out of their Q system fails ??

myusernam
QLD, 5928 posts
28 May 2021 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

Douchebag

Mobydisc
NSW, 8970 posts
28 May 2021 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

A year later people in power still think hotel are the go for quarantine. Fail.

slipperyduck
WA, 58 posts
28 May 2021 6:31AM
Thumbs Up

Can't we just send Scomo.. then cancel Aussie return travellers

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
28 May 2021 6:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjw said..
Can Victoria get it right for once?

Yeah, its clearly a case of the guys at the top not doing the right thing at this point. We are seeing a strain or strains that are more transmissible and seem to be getting through the existing procedures we have in hotel quarantine.

Procedures haven't changed. If anything the states are more aware of not having any failures, yet we have already had a few breakouts from quarantine. WA has had it. SA has had it.

Its the new strains, not any individual. Its time that the government at the top throws some money at doing this properly as we are going to have this problem from outsiders for years. If you want them to keep coming into the hotels and shutting down your state every now and then, then its okay. If you want to go back to a normal and have quarantine run in proper quarantine facilities, maybe its time we should be making the federal government actually do the right thing?

The question is, how do we get the federal government to do what they should be doing?

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
28 May 2021 6:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mobydisc said..

I think its the path of least resistance. Less money from the federal government to do anything and throw it to the states to deal with.

Your taxes need to do something at the national level and someone has to make the call that we build federal owner facilities around the country so that we can let people come in with next to no risk to the community.

Can you imagine if the federal government does nothing and we are going into lockdown every 3 months as a new strain slips past the half-arsed hotel facilities?

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
28 May 2021 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kato said..
We did except, NSW and SA gave us the virus out of their Q system fails ??

The whole quarantine approach is a fail. I don't know what the media in Victoria is showing, but probably the same thing as in WA. The state premiers are calling out that its not possible to control this without dedicated facilities built for purpose and the federal government need to come to the party.

I think the Victoria government has plans for a facility 20kms to the north of Melbourne, and the federal government have been asked to put in 50%, but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears. ScoMo is busy crying in his beer about not running a surplus and is forgetting that he is the captain of the ship.

eppo
WA, 7986 posts
28 May 2021 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

.... the sad truth is we probably won't see any change until the next fed election...

nebbian
WA, 6246 posts
28 May 2021 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results

.... the sad truth is we probably won't see any change until the next fed election...

The soothsayers are saying that this might happen this year. I'm sure that WA and Vic will send a pretty clear message to the current mob of crooks. Hopefully Queenslanders are able to see past the Clive Palmer advertising this time.

Carantoc
WA, 5357 posts
28 May 2021 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

The difference between the Victorians and the Victorians couldn't be more stark.

In 1921 it took about 20,000 Victorians to rule about 300 million Indians.

But in 2021 the Victorian civil service is about 300,000 employees ruling over 6.7 million Victorians.

Not only did the 20,000 manage to rule and govern 300 million - they also had time to create an empire that robbed the population of their liberty, locked thousands up in virtual jail like conditions crushing their dreams of living according to their own beliefs, oppressed everyone who wasn't in the powerful ruling elite, feather their own nests with riches beyond the imagination of the average citizen, have anyone who questioned their decisions shot down in trumped-up public displays of alleged treason. Geeze, they even had an "emperor" who ruled from afar barely showing their face in times of crisis - leading many to question which backroom boys club was really running the showwww.........

oh, right.... yeah,................, well, actually ummmm, it seems like the differences aren't that great...

crustysailor
VIC, 788 posts
28 May 2021 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..

myscreenname said..

I think the federal government has decided that is a good idea, but to save some money they are going to send them all to Melbourne.

Who needs dedicated quarantine facilities when you can just shutdown vicco when there is the need?

there's no-one left in Melbourne now anyway.
As soon as the word got out of the lockdown (in order to contain spread), all of the ferals loaded up and came down the coast/bellarine.
All roads where chocca by lunchtime by people not wanting to server their 'lockdown' in Melbourne and surrounds.

Great, thanks very much, idiots.
Same as last lockdown...

beefarmer
WA, 306 posts
28 May 2021 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

I normally dont bother posting on these kinda things, but this one annoys the hell outta me

how much does it cost to set up and manage a purpose built quarrantine facility for a few thousand people?

F**kd if i know, but it cant be more that $100 Million. $100 million is stuff all. how much do we pay for road upgrades? $100 million is one big hwy intersection. how much does the economy, and the governmnet lose through a covid out break and then lost tax revenue? billions probably, I dunno that either but it'd be a damn sight cheaper to just build the thing and move on.

Im staggered at the stupidity of this.

Even if the feds wont do their job and build it, why dont the states just build it straight away and send morrisson the bill later. They're all loosing more than the cost of doing it, just by delaying it.

ok rant over

myscreenname
330 posts
28 May 2021 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beefarmer said..
I normally dont bother posting on these kinda things, but this one annoys the hell outta me

how much does it cost to set up and manage a purpose built quarrantine facility for a few thousand people?

F**kd if i know, but it cant be more that $100 Million. $100 million is stuff all. how much do we pay for road upgrades? $100 million is one big hwy intersection. how much does the economy, and the governmnet lose through a covid out break and then lost tax revenue? billions probably, I dunno that either but it'd be a damn sight cheaper to just build the thing and move on.

Im staggered at the stupidity of this.

Even if the feds wont do their job and build it, why dont the states just build it straight away and send morrisson the bill later. They're all loosing more than the cost of doing it, just by delaying it.

ok rant over

beefarmer for President!

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
28 May 2021 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beefarmer said..

ok rant over

i think its a game of chicken. Morrison wants to avoid paying for it, and all the facilities in each state, and then maybe taking on the responsibility that he has so far seemed to weave his way out of.

The states want dedicated facilities, but they don't want to be the mug caught with a huge bill for something that could not be needed in 6 months, which is very unlikely to be the case.

You would think it would make more sense to build a big facility in a state that had the infrastructure to handle it, and be done with it. If it works well, then build another one. I don't think anyone now thinks that Covid will be done and dusted within a short time frame, so this game of chicken is just going to make us all shutdown from time to time.

Do you think they will listen to us or just tell us how it is?

Imax1
QLD, 3342 posts
29 May 2021 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

The plan is not to stop the disease here , it's to make everyone get the jab so we can live with it . Quarantine is not the answer , we have to mingle with the rest of the world .
As much as I'd like to build a wall around Australia and send all the naughty people to Tassie .

Mark _australia
WA, 20428 posts
29 May 2021 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mobydisc said..

Thats the one.

If you want hotel quarantine it needs to be slightly longer (they're spreading it on day 16 so the math was off a bit)

Then its simply money....... most importantly, the workers need to segregate. To have them knock off work in quarantine then go to do Uber is just ridiculous. So it needs to pay well enough that they will agree to not have a second job, stay at home when not at work etc

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
29 May 2021 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Imax1 said..
The plan is not to stop the disease here , it's to make everyone get the jab so we can live with it . Quarantine is not the answer , we have to mingle with the rest of the world .
As much as I'd like to build a wall around Australia and send all the naughty people to Tassie .

Plans can fail easily.

As a hypothetical, what if the current vaccines do not work with a new strain that evolves? This is highly possible if the rest of the world does not vaccinate at the same time. Realistically we are going to have a lot of large developing countries that are not going to get the majority vaccinated and at the same time be a breeding ground for new strains that emerge.

Right now, we need to be able repatriate people from countries where Covid is a major problem. These are Australian citizens so we can't just sit on our hands and tell them bad luck. In order to repatriate them we need facilities that get them through the incubation period without passing it onto the staff or other residents. Its no use going 13 days into isolation, letting them catch it, and releasing them on the 14th day.

The current suggestions by doctors is to bring in people to the existing facilities from areas where there is not such a high risk. The people that are from high risk areas with evolving strains should be quarantined in proper facilities to make sure that they are not then going to infect other people in quarantine and then spread it through the community.

If you think that vaccination is going to solve the problem, its unlikely on its own and unlikely in the next year or two.

evlPanda
NSW, 9082 posts
29 May 2021 2:53PM
Thumbs Up

They'd be safer in India, because their immunisation project is way ahead of ours.

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
29 May 2021 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
evlPanda said..
They'd be safer in India, because their immunisation project is way ahead of ours.

Ahead on numbers, percentages or both?

I think the chances of getting covid in India is much higher.

bjw
NSW, 3338 posts
29 May 2021 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Comparing NSW check in system to Vicco's, comparing their Covid Testing station (that I attended), I found Vic's pretty poor.

It's no coincidence every state (besides Victoria) has had almost no Covid for almost a year. Even Victoria has done well compared to the rest of the world.

But compared to every other state...

FormulaNova
WA, 12039 posts
29 May 2021 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bjw said..
Comparing NSW check in system to Vicco's, comparing their Covid Testing station (that I attended), I found Vic's pretty poor.

It's no coincidence every state (besides Victoria) has had almost no Covid for almost a year. Even Victoria has done well compared to the rest of the world.

But compared to every other state...

Well, here in WA people only seem to be keen on checking in when there has been a recent outbreak. After that less and less people seem to do it. I can understand it too. It's easy to assume its not a big deal... until there is an outbreak 3 days previous that no one knew about, but which time its too late.

To be fair, Victoria's outbreak has been caused by someone getting Covid in hotel quarantine in SA, so you can't really level any blame at Victoria.

myscreenname
330 posts
29 May 2021 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FormulaNova said..
so you can't really level any blame at Victoria.

Victoria went out on a limb promoting a 'gold standard'

Anyone from Vic who has been to Qld, NSW or ACT knows that Vic hasn't handled pandemic very well.

It will take a decade for Melbourne CBD to recover

Mr Milk
NSW, 2322 posts
29 May 2021 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beefarmer said..

You'd think that $100M is a lot of money, but it's not enough.

www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-29/victoria-identfies-melbourne-site-for-quarantine-facility/100103308

They're saying $500M for 2000 units, or $700M for 3000.
$15M just for planning! They say 3-4 months. Just say that the engineers, lawyers, architects etc are all mid career professionals on $200K salaries. That's $50K/head for 3 months wages. If half the $15M goes on wages, $7.5M would cover 150 professionals full time on the job.
I dunno, but that seems like a big team to put together for 2000 almost identical simple units and to lay out wiring and water diagrams for the site.

But then if you compare that with the amount of money paid to private security companies to run Nauru and Manus migration stations it looks like a bargain.

bjw
NSW, 3338 posts
30 May 2021 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

I feel having the hotel quarantines at CBD hotels is also about giving a leg up to the local hotels, as without it they would be screwed. I think many would have closed had it not been for this.

eppo
WA, 7986 posts
30 May 2021 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

Australia's lack of COVID infection relative to most parts of the world has surely nothing to do with our so called great policies. It's lack of rats in a cage and basic geographical isolation.

Well built facilities surely can only provide yet another economic advantage over the rest of the world if we can avoid these lock downs.

I wonder if these facilities could be built with view to re purposing them down the track. As training facilities for such and such for example. So that the initial cost can be spread over a multiple use time horizon.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Why don't we send 400 Victorians to India for science?" started by myscreenname