Forums > Kitesurfing General

Kitesurfing newbie advice

Created by Younchris > 9 months ago, 29 Aug 2013
Younchris
2 posts
29 Aug 2013 12:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hey,
So I'm at work and a guy says 'You ever done extreme sports? You want a kiteboard for free? Cause I'm just gonna put it in the bin otherwise' And I go, sure, sounds like a deal. Now: I've never kitesurfed and I don't know anything about it but I figured I could either start or just sell it on. Now I've done a little research and I think what I have is a 2002 9.4 airush full kit. My issue is that there isn't a lot of info online about this model but the one modern review I did find suggested that this type of kite is now considered dangerous by most people and would be an awful thing to learn on. So I'm just asking people: what do I need to know about this kit?

Thanks.

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
29 Aug 2013 5:03AM
Thumbs Up

Easy answer...Burn the kite...Its dangerous and will get you into harm...as for the rest of your mates kit I am unsure if harnesses or boards have changed very much so maybe ok to learn with.
Cheers Billy

GreenPat
QLD, 4083 posts
29 Aug 2013 5:13AM
Thumbs Up

Yee-har! A good old fashioned kite burning.

The harness might be ok, or the materials might have deteriorated with age and neglect. Check the stitching isn't falling apart.

Board fundamentals haven't changed that much - planks with a couple of straps on them. If it has a leash on it take it off and burn it with the kite.

Younchris
2 posts
29 Aug 2013 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Ok thanks very much. I'll see about getting a new kite cause the rest of the stuff seems ok. Cheers again.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
29 Aug 2013 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Keep it in your cupboard, learn to kite with some decent gear from the buy n sell section, then one day when you're good, bring it out and have a play. Marvel at the crude safety systems, lack of depower, teabagging in gusts, lack of a decent leash, etc. Then take it out on the water and learn how to edge, old school style.

Rails
QLD, 1371 posts
29 Aug 2013 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

me no tech savvy
no long time kite surfer dude
but newbie advice could be posted in newbie forum??

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
29 Aug 2013 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Younchris,

Ah the old Lift 9.4. A truly excellent kite in it's day. In 2002 these were a revelation in power and lift. Unfortunately, Stability, wind range, steering, bar pressure, de-power, relaunch and safety weren't really design considerations.

By todays standards, these kites would be only suitable for the most experienced of performance kite riders. For learning? Forget it! Most experienced kiters who never started back in ye olde days, would struggle with one today.

Turn it into a bean bag, it's a little more green friendly than burning it.

DM

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
29 Aug 2013 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I used to ride that kite! As DM said was a real step forward in its day. The lift pro was insane!

But as everyone has said, get yourself a modern kite but keep it for a burn later on. Makes you appreciate how good gear has got.

kkiter
NSW, 452 posts
29 Aug 2013 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Loved my Lift Pro. Still got it!!

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
29 Aug 2013 5:40PM
Thumbs Up

Jesus, Glenn!

You still have that old thing? I bet it's a beast by todays standards. I can't believe I used to ride it in 30 knots! Oh, but the boosts were insane!

Hope you are well old mate.

DM

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Kitesurfing newbie advice" started by Younchris