Forums > Kitesurfing General

Short vs long safety leashes??

Created by Lambie > 9 months ago, 3 Jun 2016
Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
3 Jun 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

I don't unhook when kiting and kind of hate the long safety leash flapping about - recently I saw the ozone short leash and that made me think of all of the old safety leashes I seem to have accumulated over the years in the garage cupboard.

Who uses a long leash and how many time do you actually unhook ?

I also had (until about 4 years ago) my 'long leash' attached to the grab handle at the back of the harness - until it was pointed back then that when dragged by the kite I wouldn't be able to get to the final safety release - I hadn't thought of that for my first 2 years of kiting - thanks for the 'safety lessons' as a beginner!!

A short safety leash attached to the spreader bar will always be within reach.

This is what I've made up from the bits and pieces Ive had lying around. and its so much better to kite with :-)

Who else is using a short leash these days??

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
3 Jun 2016 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Cut down the old Cab leash that broke, and replaced the clip. Works a treat . . . but now, rather than tickling my bollocks, when the spreader bar rides up it tickles my stomach. Not as enjoyable.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
3 Jun 2016 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

I know a few blokes that are on real short leashes

Après kite homecoming

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
3 Jun 2016 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Core do a great (and standard) short leash. If you're getting dragged from behind you have no chance to hit the leashes safety or even the harness release. You're just a passenger with no control. A short leash connected at the front is so much safer for kiters who don't unhook, which is probably the vast majority.

Redgy
WA, 117 posts
3 Jun 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

If you are not unhooking the short leash is the only way to go.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
3 Jun 2016 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Well said MDSXR6T. Totally agree.

Long leashes are so common/popular it's gonna take a while for that trend to change. I'd say the majority of kiters don't know short leashes even exist... not many kite manufacturers make short leashes anyways... It just shows that safety is rarely a top priority in the industry.

Most schools still use long leashes and most attach the leash quick release at the back of the harness...Monkey see, Monkey do...students simply wouldn't know any better.

I recently made the switch to a short leash for winter kiting as the risk is greater and complete release more likely in big swells. The first time I saw the benefit of short leashes was during snow kiting. With the harness underneath the jacket and the QR of the leash hidden behind underneath the jacket I realized there was no way I could ever reach it in an emergency. No wonder Ozone provides only a short leash with their snow kites.

It's exactly like single front line safety systems vs dual front line, it took many years for manufacturers to upgrade for something safer, and still not everyone has done it...the same will happen with short leashes I reckon 5 years from now it will become much more ''standard''

shi thouse
WA, 1129 posts
3 Jun 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Cabrinha's short leash...

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
3 Jun 2016 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

Long leash ----> short leash -----> no leash

the future

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
3 Jun 2016 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

A downside to a short leash is it cant be used as a tow rope for a board in a self rescue situation, or as a tow rope for kiteless fellow kiter you may be assisting after an accident.

Plummet
4862 posts
3 Jun 2016 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Yep been rolling short leach for a while now.

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
3 Jun 2016 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..
A downside to a short leash is it cant be used as a tow rope for a board in a self rescue situation, or as a tow rope for kiteless fellow kiter you may be assisting after an accident.

If you self-rescue using your kite as a sail, having the board in your hand and using it as a rudder is a huge advantage (get to shore quicker, not loosing ground) over letting it drag behind you. If you perform a full pack down self-rescue, just use your harness to wrap around the rolled-up kite.

I've towed many kiteless kiters and kiters with deflated kites back to shore over the years the best way is for them to hold on directly to your handle behind the harness.

I guess long leashes could be an advantage in some rare scenarios I just can't think of any common scenarios where that would be an advantage.

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
4 Jun 2016 7:35AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Like your scissor clip Plummet! No chance of it managing to clip itself to a loose line like the suicide clips usually provided. Much safer choice.!

Gilly3
QLD, 794 posts
4 Jun 2016 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Hey Plumms, you need to upgrade that first QR to Megatron,,,,having them both push away means less split second thinking.......

+1 for the short ozone leash

offshore
NSW, 40 posts
4 Jun 2016 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Totally agree. No more to say.

MDSXR6T
WA, 1019 posts
4 Jun 2016 10:16AM
Thumbs Up

Core's short leash. It's long enough so those of us who aren't built like a T Rex are able to reach it but short enough that it's not a problem. I used it to secure my board in a self rescue over summer. Not ideal but possible.

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Jun 2016 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark50 said...
Plummet said..

Like your scissor clip Plummet! No chance of it managing to clip itself to a loose line like the suicide clips usually provided. Much safer choice.!

Its an old pick. I upgraded long ago to a more robust shackle. Same goes for qr

KiteBud
WA, 1515 posts
4 Jun 2016 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Ozone short leash attached to spreader bar

Gorgo
VIC, 4911 posts
4 Jun 2016 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

I like the idea of a short leash and I'll probably go that way in the future.

I have never really had a problem with a long leash but now that I ride a hydrofoil I have found myself taking a powered dive off the foil and passing part way through the leash. That doesn't seem like a good thing.

I have many times used the long leash to tow boards while winding in lines to self rescue, or to tow a friend's raceboard (can't pick up big heavy boards with long fins hanging off and ride back to him), and to secure a rolled up kite when doing a long walk back to the car (having landed a downwinder and having to walk out).

Even when sailing in during a self rescue it's nice to have the board attached so both hands are free to work the bridle lines and get the best power out of the kite. My most recent self rescue involved a deflated main bladder so I had to roll the kite to pressurise what was left of the bladder and work the bridles and hold onto my board etc etc etc.

I think it's essential to have something to use as a tow rope and to secure stuff. Unfortunately modern harnesses don't have a pocket to stash a short length of line. Similarly I had the harness fail during the return of a coast run. I was able to finish the ride unhooked, but if things got really sketchy I could have jury rigged a harness from the leash line.

As for the handle pass leash, I have practiced reaching for it while being dragged by the kite. It's not necessarily easy, but it's not impossible. I find fear for my life tends to lend strength and flexibility I didn't know I had.

When towing people in the absolute worst thing you can do is get them to hang onto the leash. Leashes aren't that strong to start with, and having some boof head tangle his hand in the leash while you're powered up is a recipe for disaster. It's much better if they hang on to the handle with their hand and you ride slowly into shore.)

PS What do you call a downed kiteboarder sailing in doing a self-rescue? A windsurfer.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Jun 2016 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gilly3 said...
Plummet said..

Hey Plumms, you need to upgrade that first QR to Megatron,,,,having them both push away means less split second thinking.......

+1 for the short ozone leash

I prefer the old system in all honesty,
Compared to this system I found resetting your qr very fiddly , especially in solid conditions,
Also you can spin your safety around to pull , so no split second thinking,

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
4 Jun 2016 5:17PM
Thumbs Up

I think quick releases need to be on the harness handle pass rope like the old LF harnesses. Then wakestyle riders can run a tether that's less prone to accidental release.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
4 Jun 2016 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

From the many replies,

It seems that it is very important that death-leashes double as tow ropes.

lol.

So I guess that rules out the tiny tethers.

Kajo
NSW, 333 posts
7 Jun 2016 1:13PM
Thumbs Up

I hate my long leash, it always seems to dangle on my leg which is annoying. It even caught a fisherman's hook and line one time as it was basically dragging in the water.
I'll get myself a short leash. Thanks for bringing up the topic.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
7 Jun 2016 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

lol.

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
7 Jun 2016 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

if you are such a kook that you are concerned about not being able to release your leash because its behind you,

then you NEED to keep that leash behind you because being dragged around by your kooky ass is probably the only time you'll ever do anything cool or entertaining on the water.

stop being such pussys and using short leashes or hooking on the front embrace your inept-ability of releasing the leash behind you and own it, make it your party trick

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
7 Jun 2016 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Kozzie- you do take the micky !! if only Laurie would again unleash the red thumbs!! LOL

I love seeing the range of disciplines kitesurfing has become - some I'm more than happy to simply watch the talents (my shoulders just wont do some of that **** at 54 ) and others like surfing with a kite I'm trying to perfect (OK I do need a second life but at least I'm trying!!) .

Just like there is a big range of disciplines - there is scope Kozzie for different kites and rigging approaches ??

Hey Kozzie - did you get out off the beach this weekend ?? I hear it was awesome ;-)

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Jun 2016 9:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said..
Kozzie- you do take the micky !! if only Laurie would again unleash the red thumbs!! LOL

I love seeing the range of disciplines kitesurfing has become - some I'm more than happy to simply watch the talents (my shoulders just wont do some of that **** at 54 ) and others like surfing with a kite I'm trying to perfect (OK I do need a second life but at least I'm trying!!) .

Just like there is a big range of disciplines - there is scope Kozzie for different kites and rigging approaches ??

Hey Kozzie - did you get out off the beach this weekend ?? I hear it was awesome ;-)

yeah it was pretty good ;) the 2017 was pretty good quite the road test :D but no photos allowed :`( ..... yet

as for different rigging aproaches OF COURSE there is! i hardheartedly agree! i would never ever ever go gliding on a kite with the quick releases being functional and able to be used or with the chicken loop not being permanently affixed or without the appropriate harness (still use a waisty for the little stuff tho)

but come onnnnn if you think just boating back and forth and chucking the odd jump in on the water or in the waves requires any sort of modification you are dreaming.

theres only one use for a short leash and thats to tether the board to your side while your gently explaining to some old muppet how to fly the kite until hes ready to have a shot at putting the board on.

Peahi
VIC, 1467 posts
11 Jun 2016 8:28AM
Thumbs Up

whats the difference between a leash and a leach?

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
11 Jun 2016 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HighzaKite said..
whats the difference between a leash and a leach?

Finishing high school

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
11 Jun 2016 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

well done kami well done

dyyylan
72 posts
11 Jun 2016 10:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
snalberski said..

Yeah this is a big deal to me, I also pull my leash off of my harness to loop it around something to do a tethered self-landing sometimes too, if the wind is strong. Even if I'm not unhooking as much as I used to I like the versatility of the long-ish leash.

timmybuddhadude
WA, 738 posts
16 Jun 2016 11:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said...
Cut down the old Cab leash that broke, and replaced the clip. Works a treat . . . but now, rather than tickling my bollocks, when the spreader bar rides up it tickles my stomach. Not as enjoyable.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Short vs long safety leashes??" started by Lambie