Forums > Kitesurfing General

self launching Best kites

Created by raggy > 9 months ago, 14 May 2014
raggy
VIC, 564 posts
14 May 2014 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hay just I was just sitting around thumbing through the manual that came with my Best Kite. and under self launching it talks about folding the tip over and weighting it down and launching with the kite in said postion. what are peoples opinion about this? dose it work and if so how safe is it in reality?

IanR
NSW, 838 posts
14 May 2014 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

This was the method we all used in the early day with C kites.
I still use it with my Airush Razor and it works well.
With Bridled kites I don't use it as I find the slide launch fine.
I am concerned that as the wing tip unfolds there is a small chance that the bridle gets caught on the wing tip and sends the kite into death loop mode.
Give it a try but make sure the bridle is not tangled in the wing tip and your ready to release

raggy
VIC, 564 posts
14 May 2014 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

ill have a play this weekend if i get the chance.

cbulota
WA, 1201 posts
14 May 2014 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

definitely old school method...not needed or recommended for newer kites. When I tried this 6-7 years back it noticed you needed a truck load of sand to keep the kite in place. Too much sand and it will be difficult to launch, too little and it's gonna take off by itself before you get a chance to hook in...

James01
QLD, 275 posts
14 May 2014 5:09PM
Thumbs Up

Used to do it 10 years ago!

The newer kites hold too much pressure to fold over and weigh down.

It can be done tho.

raggy
VIC, 564 posts
15 May 2014 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

yeah thats what i noticed when i had a play it was almost impossable to bend the tip on its self and as you say the weight required would be stupid. ill give it a pass thanks

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"self launching Best kites" started by raggy