Forums > Kitesurfing   New South Wales

Kiting in Sydney metro area

Created by Peahi > 9 months ago, 20 Nov 2016
Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
20 Nov 2016 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys, might be heading up to Steak & Kidney for a few months for work. I have lived there before (pre-kiting days) but was wondering (given there are so many bans) about the best place to live, to locally kite and surf but reasonably close to CBD. My preferences are for Northern Beaches (Queenscliff/Manly) for the surfing or Eastern suburbs so I can get down to the southern beaches / bay and be close to the airport.

Criteria

1. Prefer waves to flat water
2. Spots that work in a NE /lefthanders (am goofy)
3. I know you cannot kite Manly/Bondage/Bronte (is there a map?)
4. Between Cronulla and Freshwater is there anyplace else?
5. Avoid traffic jams getting to the beach after work (if that is possible)

jms
NSW, 131 posts
21 Nov 2016 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

My pick would be airport/ramsgate area - so you're close to Botany bay for quick sessions & westerly options, but can still get out to Wanda/Kurnell without it being too much of a mission.

Northern beaches might also work well, but I haven't lived up there.

NorEast is the typical summer seabreeze wind direction.

www.kiteboardingnsw.org.au/locations/

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
21 Nov 2016 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers I was thinking that also, or even down to Cronulla. I cannot believe from the maps how much of the coastline is banned, thought they would lighten up at least around Maroubra/La Perouse.

CJ2478
NSW, 483 posts
21 Nov 2016 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HighzaKite said..
Cheers I was thinking that also, or even down to Cronulla. I cannot believe from the maps how much of the coastline is banned, thought they would lighten up at least around Maroubra/La Perouse.

from memory of the signage at the beach, you're allowed to kite maroubra when the surf life saving flags are down. Not sure if that signage or the said maps govern. when I lived in Sydney I lived in Redfern and you could forget about a kite after work. Closest place was botany. I reckon somewhere south of the airport (not too far south that your commute is lengthened significantly) so you can access cronulla easily but also get a quick fix in botany when required. Ive heard that the northern beaches get lighter winds than places south of the harbour and have minimal options for westerlies in winter. Also lacks public transport infrastructure.

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
21 Nov 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CJ2478 said..

Ive heard that the northern beaches get lighter winds than places south of the harbour

I heard that also - from a similar seabreeze thread in 2005 no less!

jms
NSW, 131 posts
22 Nov 2016 10:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HighzaKite said..

Yeah, I was thinking about living in Cronulla but the commute would be a killer. I now live just north of Wollongong and it doesn't take much longer for me to get to Syd than if I lived in Cronulla. I reckon the best of both worlds is somewhere near Botany Bay - sensible commute, flat kiting nearby, and only ~30 mins to the waves.

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
24 Nov 2016 8:43PM
Thumbs Up

Kogarah is a good spot to live. 30 minute by train to Sydney, 30 minute train back.

10 minutes from kogarah station to the bay in NE/SE Winds. 25 minutes to Wanda for NE/SE/S. 25 minutes to Kurnell for W/NW/NE. 10 minites to the SW spot as well.

Peahi
VIC, 1470 posts
26 Nov 2016 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Looking at the NSW KBA maps appears as though you are allowed to kite at Manly !? (I prefer northern end of Queenscliff) is that correct? To combine either surfing in morning and surf/kite in evening would be ideal. I know seabreezes will be weak and surf will mostly be small and onshore but am keeping my hopes high and expectations low.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   New South Wales

"Kiting in Sydney metro area" started by Peahi