Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

2014 Dice - Trim issues?

Created by ThirstyDursty > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2017
ThirstyDursty
SA, 6 posts
18 Nov 2017 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi

just taken up the sport...took a bunch of lessons and just kitted up with 2014 Dice and trust bar (new/never used but old stock)

today was first outing with the kite.

Found the sail to be very unresponsive. Had to tug at it... to get it to move...and at other times if it would just seem to cut over and I'd have to work hard to save it.

I trimmed in the lines on the bar one knot (shortest final knot). That seemed to help. But worried I have no more trim ability.

Kite was still on soft attachment point.

not sure given my level how I can assess the proper trim of the kite and do I just make new shorter knots? Or if something else is wrong with it.

I also had an instance where I used safety release after crashing and having a slight drag on a water start attempt. And kite kept shape refilled and sat on wing tip, even slightly relaunched itself despite the safety being out. It was rigged with 4 lines, not 5. I thought it was supposed to completely crash out?

wind was ~15knots

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
18 Nov 2017 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

2014 dice not nice, 2018 meth amphetamine, not that ill ever touch that shidt

ThirstyDursty
SA, 6 posts
18 Nov 2017 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

So I bought a bad kite? Can you explain?

ThirstyDursty
SA, 6 posts
19 Nov 2017 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Arranged to change over the front line connection with 2 stainless steel rings and a pigtail and make it a lot safer, and a sliding stopper.

Which will make it a single frontline safety, rather then double/mini 5th line setup.

So that should take take care of the kite flagging out better.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
19 Nov 2017 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ThirstyDursty said..

cauncy said..

R AND D, compared to later models youll certainly feel the difference, same goes for other kites n brands, the 2014 compared to 2016/18 models are certainly more refined, imho north do some funky stuff, rebel 2013 springs to mind, also changing the 2018 to 4 line and the evo to 3 strut, makes no sense in a big wind region

ThirstyDursty
SA, 6 posts
20 Nov 2017 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

ThirstyDursty said..

cauncy said..

R AND D, compared to later models youll certainly feel the difference, same goes for other kites n brands, the 2014 compared to 2016/18 models are certainly more refined, imho north do some funky stuff, rebel 2013 springs to mind, also changing the 2018 to 4 line and the evo to 3 strut, makes no sense in a big wind region

Ok. Just something I'll have to get used to for this season. If I fully commit to the sport then new gear could be on the cards for next season. And I'll demo a bunch of stuff in that process. I'm just taking it up...so was trying not to break the bank.

And the grass is always greener next year. If they are iterative improvements...rather then radical redesigns

Trimming it in helped big time...so probably just needs to be trimmed in for lighter winds, was just 15knots. And then as it gets stronger trimmed out.

Might make a couple more knots at the bar and see the effects of trimming in a smidge more.

kemp90
QLD, 1692 posts
22 Nov 2017 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Yep it was a pig in certain size by memory. 11m and 9m were mint. 10m was a pig with over sheeting and warping.

sell it and get somthing else.

weebitbreezy
617 posts
22 Nov 2017 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

I have some experience with the 2014 Dice - or at least trying to get one to fly sweetly.

1. Its made for light weights. If you are 80-85kg+ consider moving it on. As you get heavier the centre pinches when you start to edge. Pumping up firmer doesn't fix this although it helps a bit.
2. Only fly it on the quad bar. The split point on the 2014 and earlier trust bars is too high and accentuates the pinch effect.
3. Bridles shrink - quite a lot on that model and year. At the minimum take the bridles off and measure them. They are sized when pulled tight. You can add extensions to the bridles to bring them back to the correct length but its worth considering ordering a new bridle set. From memory we had about 10cm of shrink on the C line and about 3cm on the A line (although I might have that backwards)
4. It seems like the canopy fabric seems to stretch more than similar aged North kites. If you get everything else right, you might still end up with some slightly odd top end behaviour due to canopy stretch. This is a pretty subjective observation and chances are its down to the mileage these kites get from their original owners compared to other models.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing   Newbies / Tips & Tricks

"2014 Dice - Trim issues?" started by ThirstyDursty