Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

12m M80 Kite, Drop 136 Board, LF Harness

Created by tam > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2005
tam
2 posts
24 Dec 2005 4:14AM
Thumbs Up

Can anyone advise on how good the above setup is for a beginner? I have never kiteboarded before and want to pick this up as I snowboard in winter so i want something to do in the summer.. Pls advise on a reasonable price for the setup too.

I got the setup from www.stkildakiteboarding.com.au under "New Rider Packages" so you can check out the full setup there. Any help would be most appreciated.

p.s. is there a cheaper and better place to learn to kiteboard?

Brighton Kiter Rhys
WA, 196 posts
25 Dec 2005 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Tammathy,

m80's are fantastic kites to learn on, they are very very stable, and the 12m is pretty quick 2 turn etc, the pull is steady and predictable 2...
The bar you get with it is very well designed, totally safe as with the 5th line safety etc ensures your tangle free if anything turns sour... also means you can just unspin the bar if you crash and roll in the water while learning, or once you start doin rolls/flips etc...

The drop boards are very good for riding in choppy water, i dont usually ride one personally. but a lot of guys i ride with do, havnt heard a complaint from one of them about the boards...

see if you can get a WLF instead of the drop, the extra width will get you up and going faster. then as you progress you can still use it cos the board just gets better and better... I use the WLF 130 now with Alpha bindings and love it. (i also ride a quiver of m80s so i know wat they are like)

Liquid force only make waist harnesses as far as i know, but the new 06 LF waist harnesses are top quality, and offer a suprising amount of comfort, the included spreader bar pad is really comfy, and as long as its hooked up right, stops 90% of all bar movement which is a huge plus for beginers.
i prefer a waist harness, others kiters dont, its up to personal preference. go into the shop and try both seat and waist harness on, see what you like and im sure the shop can swap the harnesses and keep the same deal... same should go with the boards 2...

even without changing the deal around, its a great setup to learn on

see wat they say about price and just ask if thats the best they can do... should be around the $2100 mark, maybe less if they are nice people. It will also help to have lessons with the same people you buy gear from...

hope this helps

Brighton Kiter Rhys
WA, 196 posts
25 Dec 2005 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Another thought:

M80's are great kites, but maybe the GK Sonic would be a better option because of its depower and range bow kites are meant 2 have?
Sonics can be totally depowered by pushing out the bar, M80's require you to pull out a pin...

At the top of the Package Options page it says
'M-80 kites in these packages can be swapped for the same size in a GK Sonic or Peter Lynn Venom or Vortex'

if you have a little trouble in your lesson, id go for the Sonic, if your fine, take the M80...

tam
2 posts
25 Dec 2005 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

sweeett.. thx.. now i'm just looking for a fren who's willing ta pay tht much cash to board wit me.. lol..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"12m M80 Kite, Drop 136 Board, LF Harness" started by tam