Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Airush Varga vs. Vapor 2,3

Created by jp747 > 9 months ago, 25 Jun 2010
jp747
1548 posts
25 Jun 2010 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hello am trying to upgrade and a dealer here has either the 09' or 10' models but since am the only one as of now kiting here my level hasn't realy gone up and really don't get up to date with kite brands. weigh around 75kls, can jump, just cruising and a bit of speed if water is flat..no waves in our place just swells and chop. Can anyone give me their best opinion which one is an all-rounder best for firstly litewind pull, speed, turning, relaunch and boost? I read the airush manual and their ratings say Varga has better pts. than the Vapor however, why is it that the Vapor is being advertised like their top of the line?
thanks

Paradox
QLD, 1321 posts
28 Jun 2010 4:28PM
Thumbs Up

JP,

There is no such thing as an Airush Varga....and the Airush range (or any brand for that matter) will not rate thier kites better than another overall. Each model will have different attributes over others in specific areas, but that is as far as they go.

Why don't you tell us what you like in a kite and what the wind conditions you normally ride in are?

IMO you can't go past a vapor and if you regularly get 15kts or more a 10m would do you fine at 75kg's. They rock, but struggle a little in larger sizes/lighter wind as they lose thier fast turning ability and speed through the window. If you are going a 12 because of light wind issues a Varial would be better.

jp747
1548 posts
29 Jun 2010 9:31AM
Thumbs Up

Paradox said...

JP,

There is no such thing as an Airush Varga....and the Airush range (or any brand for that matter) will not rate thier kites better than another overall. Each model will have different attributes over others in specific areas, but that is as far as they go.

Why don't you tell us what you like in a kite and what the wind conditions you normally ride in are?

IMO you can't go past a vapor and if you regularly get 15kts or more a 10m would do you fine at 75kg's. They rock, but struggle a little in larger sizes/lighter wind as they lose thier fast turning ability and speed through the window. If you are going a 12 because of light wind issues a Varial would be better.

Paradox..what was i thinking about it is a Varial not a Varga ok i'd like to go cruising, and occasionally speed downwind, no maneuvers as there is no other better kiter to follow i.e.freeriding, and go upwind with the kite following fast upwind too. Wind conditions in our area are from 12-18ave. at times the cab switch 12 is a bit overpowered even when pigtails at loose and CAS strap at depower mode. Sea state is from flat to chop to swell...regards

Paradox
QLD, 1321 posts
1 Jul 2010 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

The Vapor is quick and very light on the bar. It will also go upwind much better than the Cab or a Varial. It will have less static power though for it's size, but that is the only thing it will fall short on in your list:

litewind pull, speed, turning, relaunch and boost

Keep the Switchy for the light wind days and get yourself a vapor III/X 10m to blast around in when you get some better wind.

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
1 Jul 2010 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm ~74 kgs and ride Vapor I's
10m is the kite that gets used the most, generally from 15kts up to 25 - 30
I have a 7m that I put up only if the wind is consistently above 25kt and a 14m that I haven't ridden yet.

The Vapor II is similar but canopy is a little less "fluttery" - haven't ridden a Vapor III

I ride in waves the most but they are also good of flat water and have a lot of "C" kite characteristics rather than SLE, really good boost, are fast turning and have good relaunch. In the surf you can put the kite at 12 o'clock and get virtually no pull on the bar.

The only criticism I have is that when they get overpowered they fly low and the rear lines slacken off, so rather than pushing the bar away like with most kites, you actually have to pull on more power to regain steering and fly the kite up to 12 o'clock to dump power.

jp747
1548 posts
1 Jul 2010 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Paradox said...

The Vapor is quick and very light on the bar. It will also go upwind much better than the Cab or a Varial. It will have less static power though for it's size, but that is the only thing it will fall short on in your list:

litewind pull, speed, turning, relaunch and boost

Keep the Switchy for the light wind days and get yourself a vapor III/X 10m to blast around in when you get some better wind.

thanks for the reply Paradox..good to know the Cab has litewind pull..gets me thinking tho what's all the fuss with the bar pull in most reviews and forums we need a bit of muscle toning once in awhile unless we kite 2hrs straight as for me 1hr nonstop is already hard on the calves and knees and good for the arm pulls

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Airush Varga vs. Vapor 2,3" started by jp747