Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2009 Underground FLX or 08-09 Airush Protoy

Created by sk1nner > 9 months ago, 13 Dec 2008
sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
13 Dec 2008 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Guys, wanted some thoughts on a couple of boards from those in the know.

Looking at either a 09 FLX or a 08 or 09 Protoy.

Im onto my second serious season and want to upgrade the Airush switch.

Currently ride a 130x40 but looking to go to the 135x41 sizes. Just really freeride stuff in flat to choppy (pinnaroo, woodies etc) Im 75kg with a 9m rev.

Really just starting to head up wind consistently now.

Whats peoples thoughts, either better than the other?

carbine
WA, 1423 posts
14 Dec 2008 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

I would say flx has a little more pop (only really a concern if your doing freestyle), is looser (slides around more).

the protoy is a smoother ride and not as power hungry doesnt have as much pop but is solid and predictable on landings unlike the flx which can slide out a bit..

for general free riding i would go for the protoy.

(have ridden 07,08 protoy 129/135, 08 Flx 138/128)

T one
NT, 321 posts
20 Dec 2008 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

personally, i think the straps, fittings etc on the protoy are better...
havn't ridden the smaller flx's...
current board is a 135 protoy... love it...

lancekenny
WA, 399 posts
20 Dec 2008 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

just got the new 2009 protoy 135 and loving it - didnt like the 2008 and I have been riding the 2007 switch 144 when not in the surf. The new Protoy is awesome - noticeably more pop making tricks (not that I have many :|) much easier and the flicks in the tips do seem to make a little difference.

Sure the FLX is a great board too though - demo both?

Kitehard
WA, 2775 posts
Site Sponsor
21 Dec 2008 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sk1nner,

The Protoy is a sweet board, but I'd definately look at the 09. The 09 has cleaner water release edges (hand finished) than the 08 which makes it faster and more lively in my opinion. The 09's also went to a wood core to try and eliminate the possibility of breakage.

If you are looking at an 08, get one new as superceded stock (there are a few around due to a shipping stuff up), that way you are covered by warranty. You snap it, it's replaced. Pretty sure the warranty is for first owners only, but I'm happy to be corrected.

If you are up our way (Pinnaroo) drop in for a demo ride. I can't help you much with the Undie, but Adrian has always made good boards too. We can trade your Switch too if interested.

Good winds,

tightlines
WA, 3140 posts
21 Dec 2008 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

It has been all one sided so far so I just want to put forward a vote for the FLX, I absolutely love my 135 Underground.
However the only Protoy I have ridden was an 07 and I'm sure they have improved heaps.
Don't know if you can get a demo Underground from SOS or Kite Addiction but if you can I would grab one then head up to Pinnaroo and try it alongside AKS's demo Protoy.

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
22 Dec 2008 4:53PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the insightful comments here guys...Might pop in to have a chat next time at pinnas, Kite Hard.

Would really love an 09 Protoy but they come at a premium price compared to some of the other similar boards. ($1280rrp compared to $990 for an FLX) I guess its because the Undergrounds are made locally (NZ) But hey if its worth the extra $$ why not.

Card
QLD, 77 posts
23 Dec 2008 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

sk1nner said...

Thanks for the insightful comments here guys...Might pop in to have a chat next time at pinnas, Kite Hard.

Would really love an 09 Protoy but they come at a premium price compared to some of the other similar boards. ($1280rrp compared to $990 for an FLX) I guess its because the Undergrounds are made locally (NZ) But hey if its worth the extra $$ why not.

Hey Sk!nner, better guess again UG are made in good old China now!! They sold and the new owner moved it straigt over.

Cheers Dan

Adrian Roper
92 posts
27 Dec 2008 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Hey Sk!nner, better guess again UG are made in good old China now!! They sold and the new owner moved it straigt over.

Cheers Dan

Hi Dan,
Yes you are correct that we have moved our manufacturing to China.
It should be noted that Underground is still Underground.
Steve Palmer and Aaron Smith still do all the design and prototyping, same as they have done for many years. If you have a problem with anything Underground I am the person to contact. The factory in China is run by Australians. Shipping materials from all over the globe to NZ then building the board and shipping most of our boards back to Europe and the US which are our biggest markets, made no sense. The boards made in China are every bit as good if not better quality that the boards made in NZ.
Most kiteboards have fins made in China, Straps pads etc made in Thailand, Plastics from Austria, Wood cores from China or foam from Europe. Resin from Europe etc
Just because a kiteboard is glued together in Australia claiming Australian made is stretching it in my opinion.

As for which board sk1nner would like I would definately suggest riding both if you can. It should be noted that our 09 boards are yet to be released so Carbines comments about riding an 09 Underground are not correct.

Thanks Adrian Roper

sk1nner
VIC, 181 posts
8 Jan 2009 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

It should be noted that our 09 boards are yet to be released so Carbines comments about riding an 09 Underground are not correct.

Thanks Adrian Roper

Adrian, are you able to tell us when the retailers will have the 09 boards then? i was pretty sure that one of the local dealers here was saying that they were expecting their shipment mid Dec 08, would that be true?

Adrian Roper
92 posts
8 Jan 2009 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Official release of the 09 boards is 23rd January at the La Ventana kite event in Mexico. Shops will have all the info soon after and we will be shipping volume by mid February.
Thanks Adrian

Skinner
ACT, 55 posts
1 Feb 2009 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up an 09 underground FLX32 last week and had my first real ride on it yesterday. It is a very nice board. Soooo smooth. Only rode a protoy once about a year ago so won't really comment on it as I dont remember and didn't really have much experience then and the only thing that stands out in my mind is how different it was to my board.

The FLX doesn't have any of that spray in your face I've heard so much about and is noticably easier to release with the quad-concave bottom over something like a twin concave.

I had a Cardboards freeride prior to that (before losing it ). I don't think one is better than the other, but the different concaves certainly have a different feel. I would have gone for another Cardboard but they were a bit backed up at the time with orders and I "needed" one immediately - I happened to get the FLX basically new for a very good price.

Like someone else said, I did notice I bounced off my butt after some jumps (more than usual), but I'm confident I'll get used to it.

Sk

EDIT: Umm maybe it's an 09 model... it was new in November 2008 so I assumed it was an 09 inline with kitesurfing equipment marketing...

tightlines
WA, 3140 posts
1 Feb 2009 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Skinner said...

EDIT: Umm maybe it's an 09 model... it was new in November 2008 so I assumed it was an 09 inline with kitesurfing equipment marketing...

I think you will find it is an 08, as Adrian said the 09 were released in Jan 09 so if your board was new in Nov it's an 08.

Flux
WA, 533 posts
1 Feb 2009 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

I'm pretty sure this is one of the only two 2009 FLX's in Aussie at the mo ,
Thanks again Adrian!!! can't wait 4 the new straps and pads..............

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2009 Underground FLX or 08-09 Airush Protoy" started by sk1nner