Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 Cardboards

Created by Card > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2011
Card
QLD, 77 posts
26 Sep 2011 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys

Here is bit of info on our 2012 board line up.

For 2012 the boards have under gone huge changes, the most important of these is to the FR and our new FX they have a new laminate that features the use of high levels of carbon, this enabled us to tailer the flex exactly how we wanted it. The results have been awesome, early reviews have shown these boards to be far superior to their predecessors.
We also have new pads and strap setup with improved comfort and more adjustment options. And to give the best possible grip we have slick new red G10 fins for the FX and FR, also for 2012 all of our boards come standard with PU rails, this gives a stylish look while ensuring great durability.

In a nut shell here is the line-up.

FX, our top of the line twin tip for the freestlye rider it features our D-trax concave with 70% carbon laminate, this board construction was first based on a laminate we tried in a FR proto, the board was insane but too much for the average freerider so we used the laminate in a board we were trialling (the FX) with some small changes the board was an absolute stand out. It is defiantly worth test riding if you are after a board of this style.

The Tempo, last season this board was hugely popular and gained a lot of support from the wake style riders, we haven't changed the board massively, but the changes we have made has bought the Tempo up another level. It now has a new deck shape with a cool edgy look and a some slight changes to the outline shape. The board has the same proven laminate, carbon reinforced triaxial.

FR is basically new from the ground up it has a new deck shape, refined quad concave a new laminate with more carbon and less glass. These changes have made this board lighter and has given it a nice agile feel on the water.

SC, is our budget orientated board, it has a very user friendly feel on the water which makes it ideal for the intermediate rider that is happy to cruise around.

The Glide and Wave are still undergoing there final changes, i will post some pics when they are ready.

If would like any other info or some more pics let me know.

Here are some pics of the new gear.

Cheers,
Dan

Oh yeah, by the way “yes” our boards are all Aussie made…

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
26 Sep 2011 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

What changes are you expecting to make to the wave. ?? Don't wreck a great thing, whatever you do. Best bard I've ever ridden!

Puetz
NT, 2097 posts
26 Sep 2011 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

What changes are you expecting to make to the wave. ?? Don't wreck a great thing, whatever you do. Best bard I've ever ridden!

... I'm interested too!

Card
QLD, 77 posts
26 Sep 2011 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys, Don't stress the changes will be minor, like a graphic change and maybe make the board a little lighter. everything else is likely to stay the same.

Dan

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
26 Sep 2011 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh a little lighter would be good. Not too much lighter the weight actually helps, but yeh a tad lighter would be good. Also this board is so versatile - I use it as TT on the flat, SB in the surf. Should supply or promote suppliers to supply a set of TT fins - works really well without thrusters in on the flat. I know that's not it's market and I know stuff all about your marketing, but it's versatility in my mind is not sold enough, and how well it rides the other way. I mean I use it even with thrusters in mainly as TT as you scream upwind fins forward, then onto toes into the wave.

suface2air
QLD, 699 posts
26 Sep 2011 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

I saw the FX first hand yesterday and it looks like a really sweet board you can see the apsolute best quality . You can really see that a lot of homework has gone into these boards . Dan and crew should be real proud of what they have achieve .
Iam lining up a FR and a Wave as soon as i get funds .
Happy winds
Sam

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
26 Sep 2011 6:07PM
Thumbs Up

You will looovd the wave. Grows on ya.

TonyScott
QLD, 9 posts
27 Sep 2011 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Well I've never ridden a cardboard wave & my local is all flat water but every year these boards just keep getting better! 3 years ago I started on a North & after jumping on a Cardboard Tempo 2010 - it made it feel like a total piece of crap! I realised that the way too flexy north was making it so hard to stay upwind & the footstraps were terrible, the tempo really aided my progression - the bindings were snug and so comfortable (even the wakeboarders at cable ski were loving em) having my feet slip out was history & everything was just easier. I lost the tempo for 6 weeks & got it returned by a fisherman who found it at the waters edge on an island - it was perfect, even the crabs loved the bindings & made it their new home! - that totally sold me on the build quality of these boards. Last year I got 2 of their top of the line pro boards & my jumps were aided by the extra pop & the bigger one kept me on the water longer when the wind dropped. This year's line up looks very exciting, I've already had Dan email me some pictures (some are the same as what he's posted here but seabreeze must drop the resolution because they don't look anywhere near as good). Love this years graphics & the gold on the FX is awesome! Can't wait for the wind to kick-in to ride the tempo & fx back to back & see which one is going to take my riding up another notch! I'll post again when I decide...

TonyScott
QLD, 9 posts
27 Sep 2011 10:17AM
Thumbs Up

oh yeah... something else not mentioned - their new bindings have changeable inserts in the heels to alter the sponginess - 3 different levels of comfort

pro merc
NSW, 285 posts
27 Sep 2011 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

quality and perfromance of these boards is second to none, i have not looked back since starting to ride them.

i like the new graphics and cant wait to try the pads and straps, my small hoofs need something a little tighter. will post a review as soon as i get my hands on one!

here is vid of last seasons tempo.

Puetz
NT, 2097 posts
27 Sep 2011 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Card said...

Hey Guys, Don't stress the changes will be minor, like a graphic change and maybe make the board a little lighter. everything else is likely to stay the same.

Dan

... can you show us any pics?

Lighter would be good, when I was checking one out at AKS I thought the wave was quite heavy relative to its size but then again, that would indicate a stronger board, so thats a good thing!

cheers,

Robbie

ps the other boards look great btw

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
27 Sep 2011 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

The heaviness does help through the chop though, this thing doesn't bounce around, just cuts right through. I reckon the geometry of board but also its weight helps, hence don't want to go too light.

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
27 Sep 2011 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Oh yeh I forgot. Whats the chance of actually putting in two sets of holes at the thruster end so you can put the TT fin setup I talked about, where they should be.

I take the thrusters out, and put the TT fins obviously where the front thruster go, - still goes fine as a TT but would be even better if have two sets of the holes at end, can't hurt?

Honestly, when no waves why the hell keep the thrusters in, make it a great TT...that's the beauty if this board but no-one seems to be listening... then again CB might then sell another TT....ha ha

Puetz
NT, 2097 posts
27 Sep 2011 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Oh yeh I forgot. Whats the chance of actually putting in two sets of holes at the thruster end so you can put the TT fin setup I talked about, where they should be.

I take the thrusters out, and put the TT fins obviously where the front thruster go, - still goes fine as a TT but would be even better if have two sets of the holes at end, can't hurt?

Honestly, when no waves why the hell keep the thrusters in, make it a great TT...that's the beauty if this board but no-one seems to be listening... then again CB might then sell another TT....ha ha

... are the thrusters a little forward of where you would expect to put TT fins, so by puting 3 holes, you can bring it back a little or would it not be far enough back. Sounds like a good idea to me!

cheers,

Robbie

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
27 Sep 2011 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh just a little bit forward although doesn't make a huge difference, but in the right spot, yippy... it is a TT before a SB anyhow, more on the TT side - hence why I like it.

suface2air
QLD, 699 posts
27 Sep 2011 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hey eppo what do ya weigh . it might be just right for your weight but if some one like me (a scrawney little weed person ) of 60 kgs makes boards ride a hole lot different . I dont get deep into water with most boards as i am to lite weight to benafit from . So in saying that the heaver for me the better ???? not sure .

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
27 Sep 2011 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

85kg I weigh and it's inversely proportional to the amount of money in my wallet! (two kids, married, mortgage and a lawnmower).

dogfish
NT, 252 posts
28 Sep 2011 12:37AM
Thumbs Up

TonyScott said...

started on a North ... Cardboard made it feel like a total piece of crap! ... the FX is awesome!

my sentiments exactly. Dan did me an FX 141x42. and man, does the bitch bite!

KSSALTONA
VIC, 207 posts
11 Oct 2011 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

KSS in Altona, Vic has just recieved the FR, Tempo and FX demo boards.

They all look amazing, i havent riden them yet but will have them up for demo if anyone wants to try them.

I rode the 2011 Tempo and it is the best board i have ever riden! Cant wait to see what the 2012's are like, they look better at least.

eppo
WA, 6917 posts
11 Oct 2011 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

KSSALTONA said...

KSS in Altona, Vic has just recieved the FR, Tempo and FX demo boards.

They all look amazing, i havent riden them yet but will have them up for demo if anyone wants to try them.

I rode the 2011 Tempo and it is the best board i have ever riden! Cant wait to see what the 2012's are like, they look better at least.

Can ya get hold a wave as well and demo it? Best board I've ever ridden.

Drewbone
WA, 5 posts
19 Oct 2011 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Is there no reviews for these boards yet?

ApatheticEnd
WA, 995 posts
20 Oct 2011 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone in Perth got a Tempo for demo yet?

Card
QLD, 77 posts
20 Oct 2011 10:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, there is a few boards over WA for demo, Darren has some and Jason down in Safety Bay should have his soon.

Cheers,
Dan

dusta
WA, 2899 posts
20 Oct 2011 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

dan how different are the 2012 pads to last years pads ?

still loving my FR

Card
QLD, 77 posts
20 Oct 2011 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

The pads and straps have been changed a lot, the pads have a soft, medium or hard EVA foam insert to choose from, this allows you to get the pad just rite for your individual style we have also giving the pads a new stylish look and improved the feel under foot.
Some riders had issues with our straps last season so we spent a long time developing our 1012 model, they are completely different, they have a much softer feel, more adjustability and the option for rotating for more or less duck.

Cheers,
Dan

dusta
WA, 2899 posts
20 Oct 2011 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

awesome dan , just had a look and they are not up for sale in accessories on the website . Do you have a rough cost and when they will be available . glad to hear the pads have improved as i really did have heaps of issues getting the pads to fit my feet last year . Darren at aks gave me some tips but i never really grew to like them

doonut
WA, 208 posts
20 Oct 2011 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

when is the website gunna be up dated ????

Card
QLD, 77 posts
21 Oct 2011 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Our new web page is being worked on as we speak, hopfully it will be online soon....

Cheers,
Dan

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
1 Nov 2011 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Just put one of the new Cardboards FR 136's on the scales... 3.7kg's with the new pads, straps and fins attached - thats not bad at all!

Especially considering the Underground Crypt (The all carbon $1199 one) is........... 3.7kg's!

In fact it's the lightest board we have here at the moment except for the old Carved Imperator at 3.4kg's and a price tag around $1500.

Not bad for under $900... I'm stoked on it so far!

doonut
WA, 208 posts
6 Nov 2011 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

up date the website geeeeeeze

phill472
NSW, 22 posts
13 Dec 2011 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dan,
Can't wait to try out the 2012 line up. Where can I find a demo in Sydney?
Cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Cardboards" started by Card