Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 North Rebels advice

Created by mitch88 > 9 months ago, 23 Dec 2011
mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
23 Dec 2011 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys.

Looking at getting north rebels and rode an 11m today and loved it. (wind was light though so couldnt test the top end on it)
im replacing my 2011 slingshot rally's (12m and a 10m) which has been a really good quiver for me.

1st ill replace the 12 than ill replace the 10 but i cant decide on what rebel will replace my 12m rally (im sure the 8 rebel will replace the 10 but was told the 7 would be the go)

Im tossing up between a 10 or an 11. i can hold my 12 rally up to 25 knots than i start thinking about getting the 10. Can you use the wind ranges off the north website for a good idea or are they a rough idea?

i ride with a TT and weigh about 77kgs.

Any help would be great.
Thanks Mitch

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Dec 2011 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mitch,

The stated wind ranges on the website are pretty much bang on for an 80 kilo rider.

DM

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
24 Dec 2011 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

i was thinking more the 11m but i had power in 15 knots today. so dont know if im going to hold that in 25 knots. maybe the 10m

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
24 Dec 2011 12:15AM
Thumbs Up

Is there a big power difference between the 10 and the 11?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
24 Dec 2011 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

I'd go 11/8. The way the summers have been going here, we've had more light wind days than strong wind days and if you have the smaller kite coming soon, top end shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.

I ended up getting a 13/10/7 (80kg's) and my 13m has seen a fair amount of water time already.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
24 Dec 2011 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mitch,

if you get a 2nd Rebel then the quiver 11m and 7m would be better.
If you get one kite only then 10m Rebel.
With your body weight you could ride 11m from 12-20knts and then from 20knts on the 7m.

The Rebel is the gruntiest kite i have flown this year and i suggest at least one size smaller than you would go with other kites.

Hope that helps

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
24 Dec 2011 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a 16 m that I use on the 10 to 15 days and our seabreeze winds are usually 15 to 25 knots. Would I be way over powered on the 11?

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
24 Dec 2011 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

mitch88 said...

I've got a 16 m that I use on the 10 to 15 days and our seabreeze winds are usually 15 to 25 knots. Would I be way over powered on the 11?

You got to remember that with a kite like the Rebel vs your 16m, you're probably going to want to be on it as soon as possible. As much as the 16m does the job in light wind, its a pig to fly.

The 11m would probably be the minimum you want to get riding comfortably in 15 knots (by comfortably I mean doing jumps, not just mowing the lawn). I don't see too much of an issue taking it up to 25.

On the issue of the 8 vs 7, the Rebel 8m would be close to another 9m in size. You could go the 7m, but the 4m gaps will leave you in no man's land a little more often. I.e. the days where you're not sure whether to take your 7m or 11m. These would typically be the days where its sitting around 20-22 knots. If you go with the 7m and the wind dies, you're underpowered, if you go with the 11m and it picks up, you're overpowered. Personally, I'd sacrifice a little top end and go 11/8. That way you can use a rule that if its 20 or more, take the 8m and know you have some leeway for when it drops or picks up.

I guess the alternative would be to do the following (if you're planning on two bars):

Order the 11m and 8m with a 25m bar and a 20m bar. The 20m bar would downsize the kite by about 1m so depending on the wind, you could take the 20 or 25m bar giving you the 11,10,8,7 combination to work from.

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
24 Dec 2011 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Okay I have the 11m and 8m combo. (sweet kites man, just unreal). Anyhow, I weigh about 85 kg but ride a cardboard wave, so a little more less wind hungry than your tt. Still in summation ( weight and board) you will still be slightly more overpowered more quickly than me, also I've ridden for 11 years and can take both kites to their max wind range.

So, all the comments so far are spot on. Around 2O to 22 knots you would be reaching for the 8 m, and yet if on a 7m this would be marginal. And they are right, the eight meter gives you that margin of error, if the wind dies a few knots no probs, on a 7m you could be changing back down to your 11 m. The 11m will have at your weight etc, going at 15 knots but no less. Also I have taken the 11m to 24 knots before and held it pretty well ( just a big ass boost session, nose bleed sh1t ). But mostly I would change down for comfort reasons.

I use my 11 m 80 percent of the time, especially with the light summer winds this year.

The best advice I got was from darren at aks, he said have as much money in the air as possible!! That is, where will 90 percent of your kiting take place, get kites to match that. Okay on spa few days it may be too strong for the 8m, so what, will only happen two or three times a year, who gives a shi1t.

Please note I live in Mandurah as well, which has slightly less sea breeze strength than say Perth and definetley less than furthe up north..

Check out your average sea breeze strengths , look at mandurahs and make your decision.

In the loop is right these are grunt machines, yet with perfect control of power. You are at least choosing a quality kite that I cannot speak more highly of.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
24 Dec 2011 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

ive been riding for 3 years and can hold my rallys in pretty decent wind (have had the 12 in about 30 knots and hung on and the 10 in 40 knots and hung lol) im starting to think maybe a 10 8 or 10 7 combo. i was going to go with 1 set of bar and lines as well. all im looking for is the right rebel to replace my rally quiver of 12m and 10m or just close enough

winter
VIC, 155 posts
24 Dec 2011 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

I think you can get as much bottom end out of the 10 as the 11 as it does move a little quicker and feels a tad more punchy in it's power the 11 seems to have a smoother power delivery and the power builds with speed
The range on the 10 is amazing I have got going in 14 and had it around 35+
I'm 90 kg and ride 135 tt

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
24 Dec 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

hmmmm is a hard choice when your choosing between an 11m and a 10m. if the wind graphs are pretty good on the north websit it looks like the 11 only has a little more and if you could hold the 11 in 29 knots or close thats what i probably would go and than an 8m for stronger winds

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
24 Dec 2011 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

11m in 29 knots at 78 kg, you are dreaming.

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
24 Dec 2011 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Mitch
Eppo is right 29kts on the 11m wont happen.
I had an 8 and 11 rebel last year and would always put the 8m up when it was over 20 knots. The 11 felt like a big kite and does not respond very well to gusts, over 20 knots and the 8m is just much easier and more comfortable. When it gets up to 29kts the 8m is fairly depowered and then it starts to fly like a dog. Not saying that you cant do it in a lot stronger winds, but its just not so comfortable, and after all easy and comfortable is why rebels sell.

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
25 Dec 2011 1:52AM
Thumbs Up

mitch88 said...

im replacing my 2011 slingshot rally's (12m and a 10m) which has been a really good quiver for me.

If you liked them, why are you changing them?

In Vic our beaches are at saturation levels with North kites and their garish canopy design...but thats just my opinion.

I'm sure devout North fans would buy them even if they had a phallus running form wing tip to wing tip (whilst being price gouged).

Perhaps you should try an RPM before you right Slingshot off and jump over to North. Probably one of my all time favourites, and the only non C kite which has taken out the PKRA titles.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
25 Dec 2011 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

11m in 29 knots at 78 kg, you are dreaming.

yeah i thought so too

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
25 Dec 2011 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

ok so the 10 7 would be the ideal quiver???

the walks
WA, 448 posts
25 Dec 2011 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Not sure about your winds, here in wa i ride 6,8 & 10 rebels, i'm 78kg, no need for anything bigger as 13knts is not a prob on tt with the 10, at 22knts i'd go the 8 and have a ball up to 33-35, its not much fun apart from boosting in bigger winds so the 6 is mainly used for the surf board, welcome to real kiteing

rhinoman
QLD, 362 posts
25 Dec 2011 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP said...

Hi Mitch,

if you get a 2nd Rebel then the quiver 11m and 7m would be better.
If you get one kite only then 10m Rebel.
With your body weight you could ride 11m from 12-20knts and then from 20knts on the 7m.

The Rebel is the gruntiest kite i have flown this year and i suggest at least one size smaller than you would go with other kites.

Hope that helps
then try a fuse

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
25 Dec 2011 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

iRideWainman said...

mitch88 said...

In Vic our beaches are at saturation levels with North kites and their garish canopy design...but thats just my opinion.

I'm sure devout North fans would buy them even if they had a phallus running form wing tip to wing tip (whilst being price gouged).

Perhaps you should try an RPM before you right Slingshot off and jump over to North. Probably one of my all time favourites, and the only non C kite which has taken out the PKRA titles.

Ii would get a north with a phallus running growing tip to wing tip if they continue to produce such an awesome kite. Can't comment on the rpm never flown one for any length of time. You flown a rebel before?? I do get your point though I fought off buying such a popular main stream kite, for ages. But once I flew them I knew why one they are so popular and two why you pay the price. I do know guys who love the rpm though as well. Although banging out a PKRA title win is gay, because for us mere mortals who give a shi1t.

Comments are right, over 29 knots the 8m will not be comfortable. But how many days do you have over 29 knots?? What are your winds like, they the same as metro Perth and north. If so go the 7/10m combo. If they are a few knots less like in Mandurah go the 8/11m.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
25 Dec 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

iRideWainman said...

mitch88 said...

I'm surprised you're worried about him switching. Most people these days just buy the next kite of the same model they have without even testing any new kites. I.e. switchblade 2 to switchblade 3. Instead he's actually gone out and tried a kite before buying it.

Incidentally, this is my first year flying north like quite a few people I know (having ridden Slingshot, Takoon, Naish, Caution and Cabrinha before). Every person I know who bought the Rebels this year tested them first which says something about the kites.

I've tried the RPM previously 2010 and 2011 and wasnt impressed with them. Not sure about 2012 but it all comes down to what you look for in a kite. (also wasn't that impressed with the 2010/2011 north rebels either)

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
25 Dec 2011 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

righto guys got my hands on a 2012 11m rebel today wind started off around the 20 knot mark and went up to around 25 knots maybe tad more. i was pretty lit the whole time but still held it in 25 but just a little un comfy.

i think a 10 7 combo is the go.

and the winds around mid north coast can go from a light seabreaze (10 to 15 knots) to a decent sea breeze (15 to 25 sometimes a little more) and our westerlies get up over 30 knots sometime but are always over 20 knots.

ive had the rally's for a whole season and they were perfect sizing (12 10)

found self landing a bit hard with the rebel (mate had to land it) and the 5th line is a bit weird atg first but i guess it holds it more stable.

whats with the battens in the canopy? do they wear or break?

all in all today was an awesome sesh with some massive jumps and some decent surf ( around 2 to 3 ft)

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
25 Dec 2011 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

Cool glad you had a crack. Nice rigid canopy hey! The fifth line does that, did you enjoy the direct feel? Um if you were comfortablish at 25 knots on the 11 (obviously you would change down) I think the 11/8m combo is for you. Also by the sounds of it, your winds are more closer to Mandurah than Perth and further north. Calling a 15 to 25 knots sea breeze decent, guys from the midwest down to perth would laugh at that. They talk 20 to 30 as normal, with a lot of 25 to 35.

Going from 12/10 to a 10/7, even thought the rebels are grunty, I reckon really consider the 11/8m combo. You are talking a normal Perth setup and the seabreezes by the sounds of it are not as strong. Then again, you a only 78 kg. you know what give darren at aks a call in wa he knows these kites like the back of his hands and will gladly give you advice. Of course buy of your local retailer.

Great kites hey, how's the boost on the 11m.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
25 Dec 2011 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

mitch88 said...

righto guys got my hands on a 2012 11m rebel today wind started off around the 20 knot mark and went up to around 25 knots maybe tad more. i was pretty lit the whole time but still held it in 25 but just a little un comfy.

and the winds around mid north coast can go from a light seabreaze (10 to 15 knots) to a decent sea breeze (15 to 25 sometimes a little more) and our westerlies get up over 30 knots sometime but are always over 20 knots.

found self landing a bit hard with the rebel (mate had to land it) and the 5th line is a bit weird atg first but i guess it holds it more stable.

all in all today was an awesome sesh with some massive jumps and some decent surf ( around 2 to 3 ft)

Self landing is actually pretty easy. Drop the kite to one side until the wingtip touches the sand. The reach about the bar and pull in about 2m of the 5th line. The kite will just flip from launch position to safe position. It seems a bit weird but it just works.

Check out right at the end of this video and you'll see him do the same thing on the dyno but the method is the same.

Battens have been there for years. Not 100% sure how much difference they make but I've never seen anyone remove them. Only thing is not to bend them when you pack up the kite.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
25 Dec 2011 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

so say if the seabreeze i get is around 16 to 22 23 would the ten be fine? than our southerlies can go from 16 up to 30. 25 up maybe look at the 7 or 8 and im leaning more towards the 7

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
25 Dec 2011 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh see where you are going. Depends in your board. Is it wind hungry or does it plane easily. Yeh if it is not wind hungry at 78 kg you might just be okay with a 10 and the 7m will give you a little more top end. All in all you will probably be okay. It's just those marginal days where the wind fluctuates between say 14 and 16, you'd be better off with a 11m. In the lulls you will lose a lot of ground on a 10. But you could always get a light wind Board for them days and you have a quicker turned 10 and 7 although I wouldn't want my 8 to turn much quicker. Don't worry about battens dont even know they are there after a while. When rolling up and you do the half fold just find the half crease such that the batten isn't sticking out when you pack away.

iRideWainman
VIC, 219 posts
26 Dec 2011 12:46AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Although banging out a PKRA title win is gay, because for us mere mortals who give a shi1t.

Anyone with half a clue would realise that the RPM is clearly a high performance kite (so is the rider, Youri of course) capable of being pushed to its limits in all categories such as wake, surf, free-ride but in particular free-style even though its not a C. To me this translates as a kite which most riders won't out progress.

juicerider
WA, 790 posts
25 Dec 2011 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

iRideWainman said...

eppo said...

Although banging out a PKRA title win is gay, because for us mere mortals who give a shi1t.

Anyone with half a clue would realise that the RPM is clearly a high performance kite (so is the rider, Youri of course) capable of being pushed to its limits in all categories such as wake, surf, free-ride but in particular free-style even though its not a C. To me this translates as a kite which most riders won't out progress.

The average Rebel user does not care about the PKRA because they are after a kite that is comfortable, easy and safe. This is what sells Rebels.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
26 Dec 2011 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

ive got a 132 lunacy at the moment and on my 12 rally 15 knots isnt to bad but i do have a 16 for those days below 15 so i just whip that out when im not sure about the 12. marc jacobs is killing it in the PKRA and he's not riding anything special. i think it comes down to the rider in the end and how comfy they feel with their kite.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
27 Dec 2011 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

Saffer said...

mitch88 said...

Self landing is actually pretty easy. Drop the kite to one side until the wingtip touches the sand. The reach about the bar and pull in about 2m of the 5th line. The kite will just flip from launch position to safe position. It seems a bit weird but it just works.

Check out right at the end of this video and you'll see him do the same thing on the dyno but the method is the same.

Battens have been there for years. Not 100% sure how much difference they make but I've never seen anyone remove them. Only thing is not to bend them when you pack up the kite.

Sorry, forgot to add the video link

eppo
WA, 9380 posts
27 Dec 2011 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

iRideWainman said...

eppo said...

You have done well to top an irrelevant point with an even greater irrelevant point to an average punter. Good effort. Also I have more than a clue been round this sport a long time sonny boy ( as I walk down the passage with my zimmer frame) lol

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 North Rebels advice" started by mitch88