Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 North Trust Bar - Worn Safety & Depower Lines

Created by bigmtnskierx > 9 months ago, 19 Dec 2012
Chris_M
2129 posts
24 Mar 2013 9:58AM
Thumbs Up

Agree with Eppo, its bull S h i t, the technology is there - plastic sleeves are all good. If the correct way to extend the life of your North bar is to wax the lines, they need to supply that with the bar, or do it themselves before purchase. Its weird how manufactures get all stubborn about the obvious faults in their design - Ozone with the safety release, and north with the line wear - cmon guys, just fix the problem already!

People get such hurt feelings about the mistakes they make, just suck it up and fix the problem, we promise we wont say "told you so"!

24 Mar 2013 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Chris_M said...
Agree with Eppo, its bull S h i t, the technology is there - plastic sleeves are all good. If the correct way to extend the life of your North bar is to wax the lines, they need to supply that with the bar, or do it themselves before purchase. Its weird how manufactures get all stubborn about the obvious faults in their design - Ozone with the safety release, and north with the line wear - cmon guys, just fix the problem already!

People get such hurt feelings about the mistakes they make, just suck it up and fix the problem, we promise we wont say "told you so"!

To be fair North is not the only brand persisting with uncovered centre lines. Arguments about the covering being too stiff, or unable to withstand high or low temps are BS and resistance is being driven by an elite bunch of team riders who get free gear and never have to deal with real life changing of a centre line.
Trim cleats don't need to be moved around on the trim system if it is designed properly in the first place, but even then I'm sure something could be designed if this feature was still needed.

The Ozone Megatron pull toward chicken loop release works perfectly, and has never been known to fail or be the cause of an accident AFAIK. There is a new push away Megatron coming that is going through final stages of rigorous field testing. The new one will be able to be retrofitted to all Ozone 4 line "contact" bars.

eppo
WA, 9379 posts
24 Mar 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

As I see it there is only one advantage to an uncovered depower line.

That is a functional stopper. This is I do miss. My wrist can get quite sore if I have a 'board' off session.

But that is the end of the advantages so I'm willing to do less board off...cause their old school anyway...LOVE IT.

Good to hear about the retro fit, even though quite honestly I have not problems with the ozone setup at all. But push away does make more sense when no tension of the lines.

Chris_M
2129 posts
24 Mar 2013 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Well guys, Im not really trying to bitch about Ozone gear (I love Ozone gear), but more the fact that a flaw is discovered, people beg for change, and the companies sort of drag their heels when it comes to making the change. My point is, it seems to be about somebody on the design team not wanting to suck it up and admit fault, rather than getting on with fixing the problem ASAP, so that the consumers have the product they want.

Funnily enough I really love both my Vegas and my C4, just am a little gobsmacked at how long it takes to fix that one annoying flaw......

eppo
WA, 9379 posts
24 Mar 2013 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh agreed Chris M. I think I recall the problem Witt he ozone quick release is they did indeed address this issue from design to production then were curtailed by poor manufacturing and parts hence had to go back the the drawing board and find another source to produce their design.

That's what I remember but someone must know the whole story.

North have put in that sacrificial plastic thingy to reduce depower bar wear, so I think we have to give them some credit.

24 Mar 2013 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Yeh agreed Chris M. I think I recall the problem Witt he ozone quick release is they did indeed address this issue from design to production then were curtailed by poor manufacturing and parts hence had to go back the the drawing board and find another source to produce their design.

North have put in that sacrificial plastic thingy to reduce depower bar wear, so I think we have to give them some credit.

The Ozone QR, will be worth the wait, what you said is close enough to the truth, but like I also said the current one functions perfectly, with or without line tension. Chris, no offence taken and I was just replying on behalf of Ozone Australia.

Uncovered centre lines - this is an idea that persists in using a synthetic rope in a way it was never designed for. There is no other application I can think of that uses uncovered synthetic rope in this way in an environement that involves sand and saltwater, its just crazy.
Sacrificial center hole blah blah, more than one company has tried this and it fails, the rope itself is simply not designed for this type of use.

Chris_M
2129 posts
25 Mar 2013 3:47AM
Thumbs Up

Kitepower Australia said...
eppo said...

The Ozone QR, will be worth the wait, what you said is close enough to the truth, but like I also said the current one functions perfectly, with or without line tension. Chris, no offence taken and I was just replying on behalf of Ozone Australia.

Uncovered centre lines - this is an idea that persists in using a synthetic rope in a way it was never designed for. There is no other application I can think of that uses uncovered synthetic rope in this way in an environement that involves sand and saltwater, its just crazy.
Sacrificial center hole blah blah, more than one company has tried this and it fails, the rope itself is simply not designed for this type of use.

Yep, all good Kitepower. Like I said, I like Ozone stuff, just get a bit pissed when I accidentally release the safety after dropping the bar. Has only happened 2 times, but is something you need to be aware of every time you are recovering your bar after you drop it. Yeah it functions well for its intended purpose, and the entire rig is still in awesome condition considering its 3 seasons old. They definitely build stuff that lasts a long time, and I think that is fantastic.

Wish North would do the same!

speed brother
QLD, 126 posts
8 Apr 2013 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
I seem to remember a very similar post with a very similar solution offered. Was it on kiteforum, actually I think it was.

So I suppose I will say what I said then. A really great solution to a problem that should not, I will say it again SHOULD NOT have to be found nor implemented on a bar that costs so much. I'm sorry but this is how I see it. As a past suffer of changing depower lines and nearly losing my mind in the process I just gives me the absolute sh1ts that such a high quality product in every other sense is spoilt by this stupid piece of crappy engineering.

Will say again what I said, plastic sleeving,

I was then given a whole bunch of different reasons why it is not, etcetera. For instance Should change your depower every season anyhow, all the bullSh1T reasons under the sun why this is the status quo with north bar and lines, crapola this went on for three pages of drivel people justifying this state of affairs, infact some of the waxing solutions become quite elaborate and bordered on hilariously insane...north for the price you charge for what is a bloody good product other than this.

Do what I do don't buy North anymore. The actual kites are well made but the bars and boards aren't exactly leaders in the industry!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 North Trust Bar - Worn Safety & Depower Lines" started by bigmtnskierx