NSW, 325 posts
18 Dec 2012 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 88kilo,Level advanced
Style: Allrounder, new preference for wave riding
Weather: 17-25 knots
Build Quality: 8/10
Satisfaction: 9/10
Disclosure: I've owned North kites since 2004 and have had Vegas', Rebels, and Evos. Currently also use 2012 Evo's (an 8m and a 13m)

My Comments:

Bought the kite from WindSurfnSnow in Collaroy, with the new bar.

Not that many changes to the kite compared to 2012. Some reinforcements around the leading edge, thinner ends to the struts, new colours (an "acquired taste" by any stretch of the imagination, but better than previous years IMO). Its flies as good as the 2012 Evo's (not like the 2011 Evo's which for some reason flew poorly). The 2013 is predictable, smooth, easy. Good depower. I used it for wave riding, and the kite didnt mind being parkedat the edge of the window. Admittedly its not as easy in the waves as a Neo - the Evo will still generate a little bit of pull but not much. I did drop it in a parked position a few times but that was due still being a intermediate wave rider (ie not carving the board hard enough to keep some line tension, and also because I "forgot" about the kite when too focused on the wave). Relaunch was easy as always. You can change the feel/handling/turning speed/depower of the kite at its pigtails - I didn't bother (yet). All in all a nice kite, but a 10m may be a little big for wave riding purposes. Great for twintip though. 8.5/10

The bar has had a lot of changes. Much better! Quality lines, the depower line is reinforced so doesnt wrap around the other lines when fully depowered. The grip on the bar is softer and has rips in it that wave between your fingers. The center hole in the bar is plastic - causing less wear and tear on the center/depower lines. The ends of the bar can be turned to an innner and outer position, giving a narrower or wider bar. Takes seconds to change. The depower vario cleat/pulley is plastic, smaller, lighter, and a lot easier to use. The iron heart is quality, and I understand you no longer have to bash an iron pin out for changing the depower lines (its sealed with 2 allen key bolts). The chicken loop and dick are one (but the chicken dick still unpops unexpectedly sometimes). There's a roto head on the leading lines/depower so you can untwist your leading lines if you do a lot of kite loops. Great bar: 10/10

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2013 North Evo, 10m" started by DutchRooster