TAS, 461 posts
3 Nov 2014 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kg, Intermediate
Style: Surf
Weather: 12-30 knots
Disclosure: I own both kites, no particular bias, paid for both

My Comments:
Have some time to kill so thought I might put down my thoughts on these two kites as they represent almost two ends of the same market. I have been flying the methods for a full season and primarily bought them as I wasn't sure whether I wanted to get into surf kiting so it was a cheap way of finding out.

Price:
Switch $762 delivered
North $1500 RRP

Build Quality:
It's really too early to say for certain how the North is going to hold up to the particular style of abuse that I deal out to my kites. However I've found with both brands it's rarely a manufacturing fault that lets them down, it's a piece of sharp coral or some other force of nature. Some notes particular to both though:

Inflation Valves

North 5/10
North's thinking in this department is a bit retarded. The give you a dump valve on the end of the kite and a finiky quick pump in the middle. They tell you to undo the quick pump before releasing the dump valve, which seems like a lot of work to let the air out of a kite. I end up just twisting the quick pump valve to release the air, which is hard to do with soggy fingers. Really stupid implementation right there.

Switch 8/10
I really like the switch inflation valve, you can inflate and deflate from the same point, however they don't sew the cap grommet under the leading edge which leads to the cap not being directly attached to the kite if you pull it too hard, which of course I did. If they sorted that out it would be a 10/10 system.

Bridle & Tuning

North 10/10

The Neo has no pulleys and allows you to adjust both depower throw and turning type at the kite. I haven't had a need to change from medium depower and soft bar pressure yet as it is just perfect in the waves. The stability that this setup seems to produce is nothing short of amazing. One handed steering of the kite is a pleasure, it is immensely predictable and I've yet to backstall the kite even in marginal wind conditions. From the first time I went out on the kite, even in overpowered conditions, I felt relaxed. Suddenly you can forget about the kite and start hitting the waves properly, not worried that it's going to suddenly surge forward or drop back and leave you duck faced in front of a wave face.

Switch 7/10

I've had the chance to try all different configurations and generally just have it on the fast turning setting. The Method is a pivot turning kite and it does that really well. Great for small mushy stuff that seems to be our lot up here. Compared to the North though I would describe the turning characteristics as spongy with a tendency to back stall in gusty or marginal conditions. The Method has a much thinner leading edge than the Neo which leads to the kite deforming under load when you really want it to maintain it's shape and provide drive. In it's quoted wind range though the 9m Method is a solid performer that is certainly value for money.

Bar

North 9/10
I've been a fan boy of the North bars for a long time, so no surprise it gets a high mark here. They lose 1 point for the no doubt toxic **** they coat their lines in, I'm sure they prolong the life of the lines but think about the children! With the 4 line bar they have lowered the Y closer to where most other kites have theirs. Which is great if you want to use a differen't bar with your Neo or vice versa. The bar itself is just right for me, right grip radius, excellent soft grip for my office worker hands and the depower works perfect like.

Switch V2 7/10 or V3 6/10
I used to think I hated the V2 bar, then I bought a V3 bar. They fixed a heap of annoying things with V2 and introduced a whole raft of new annoying things. I won't really go into it as some people love them both so it's obviously a personal preference thing.

Performance

Drift & Stability

North - Drift 10/10 :: Stability 10/10
Head straight for it at speed, it just puffs back as advertised. Let's be honest if it failed this test, it wouldn't be a wave kite. The stability of this kite is incredible, it's like it has a self leveling feature built in or something.

Switch - Drift 10/10 :: Stability 8/10
The Method's drift really well, I've never had the kite fall out of the sky charging directly towards it. The stability of the kite lets it down a bit and I'm pretty sure this is due to the pulleys. The Method has a tendency to drift downwards which can be an issue when you're screaming down the face of a wave resulting you having to pull in a couple of handfuls of the top steering line. I think sometimes the pulley is stuck short on one side after a hard turn causing the bottom steering line to be shorter. Stupid pulleys.

Steering & Turning

North - Steering 10/10 :: Turning 10/10
The Neo steers with the same sophistication as a Reo, the stability of the kite means it only moves when you want it to move. Bit like a laser pointer. The turning on the soft bar setting has a nice arc motion to it, you don't need a ton of bar pressure to get it moving in the right direction and on time. If you want to get it to pivot it will do that as well. Stitching together top and bottom turns on this kite is an almost religious experience.

Switch - Steering 7/10 :: Turning 8/10
The Method demands your attention, at all times, the kite has a tendency to wander requiring constant adjustment. The sponginess in the bar means it takes a while to learn when you're over adjusting or not. The pivot turning can take a bit of muscle too isn't too bad. Overall though the Method is more than up to cutting loose on the waves and navigating the shore break.

Wind Range

Both 7/10
Here I couldn't tell the difference between the kites, they both have incredible bottom ends letting you get out in 14 knots and turn on waves no worries. I think they over state the top end of both kites, it comes in a lot sooner than you would hope. This can be a bit of a problem if you are using the medium depower setting on the Neo, as you run out of string to pull in pretty fast. They both exhibit the same overpowered symptoms, seeking the top of the wind window and fluttering during turns. Again the stability of the Neo might put it ahead a little but not by much.

Overall when I went to demo the Neo I told myself it had to be at least 30% better for me to warrant slapping down over 3k for two kites when I could just about buy 5 Switches for the same money. The Neo was just so much easier than the Method, I suddenly felt like I was out there for the waves rather than to wrestle a kite into submission. On the fact alone it was worth it. If I was just getting into the waves I'd definitely go the Switch again, you drop your kite a bit while you're cutting your teeth in the break and it would be pretty heart breaking to see 1500 go up in smoke. Anyway I'm out of time and that's all I got, see you out there.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
3 Nov 2014 8:41PM
Thumbs Up

A good review worthy of a green thumb.

I don't like either kites but you raised some good points so thanks for sharing!

wave6ft
QLD, 142 posts
4 Nov 2014 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I was thinking of getting a neo for my high wind kite but not sure if to go a 7 or an 8 would prob be for 20 to 30 knotts I have been told they have big bottom end etc mainly wave and a few jumps im 79kg cheers for any advice

Dl33ta
TAS, 461 posts
4 Nov 2014 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..
A good review worthy of a green thumb.

I don't like either kites but you raised some good points so thanks for sharing!

Cheers RPM, glad you liked it

Select to expand quote
Wave6ft said..

Hi I was thinking...

There are two schools of thought, I find, with wave kite selection. Some like to go as big as they can handle and jump and cruise around. Personally I like to go as small as I can get away with which seems to work better on small mushy waves. I was out in 25kt average on the 7 Neo and well powered up, I reckon a 6 would have been perfect. If it was going to be closer to 30 I would be reaching for a 5 if I had the cash. So if you're like me and prefer to go smallest rather than largest I'd probably go a 6 otherwise a 7 will definately cover you.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Nov 2014 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wave6ft said...
Hi I was thinking of getting a neo for my high wind kite but not sure if to go a 7 or an 8 would prob be for 20 to 30 knotts I have been told they have big bottom end etc mainly wave and a few jumps im 79kg cheers for any advice

Laid a 7 neo next to my 8 flexifoil hadlow tonight it was a lot bigger than my kite, it'd be closer to my 10, so I'd say it'd be because of the actual size it having a good bottom end

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
4 Nov 2014 10:01PM
Thumbs Up

I was out this arvo on my 8m neo, wind was averaging around 25 and I'm 80kilos. I was fully powered and probably would of been better on my 6 neo. So I'd suggest you go for the 7 rather than the 8.

Also I really like the north valve. V quick to pump up and deflate.

azza86
QLD, 57 posts
5 Nov 2014 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
wave6ft said...

Laid a 7 neo next to my 8 flexifoil hadlow tonight it was a lot bigger than my kite, it'd be closer to my 10, so I'd say it'd be because of the actual size it having a good bottom end

Ok this is confusing i also wanted to add a 7 neo or reo to my qiver of 11/9 parks for 25knt+ strapless surf and say up to 35knt gusty flat water sessions? Im 72kg . Can anyone comment on there 6m windrange?

azza86
QLD, 57 posts
5 Nov 2014 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Dave Whettingsteel said...
I was out this arvo on my 8m neo, wind was averaging around 25 and I'm 80kilos. I was fully powered and probably would of been better on my 6 neo.

What board u riding dave?

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
5 Nov 2014 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
azza86 said..
Dave Whettingsteel said...
I was out this arvo on my 8m neo, wind was averaging around 25 and I'm 80kilos. I was fully powered and probably would of been better on my 6 neo.

What board u riding dave?

I'm on a 6' north WAM... Couple of years old. I think the 6 is good from maybe average 22-23 up to 30-35. If it's 20 you'd be having to work the kite a fair bit. Hope that helps.

I also think its a bit dodgy quoting wind speeds as it depends how you measure them. I use the Gero port authority weather buoy as my guide, but that's probably 50km from where I kite and further offshore so it's not really gospel. Can I judge the difference between 20 and 22? I don't know.

Hopefully that gives you a bit of a feel. They are great kites though.

bardunyah
WA, 73 posts
5 Nov 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Inflation Valves

North 5/10
North's thinking in this department is a bit retarded. The give you a dump valve on the end of the kite and a finiky quick pump in the middle. They tell you to undo the quick pump before releasing the dump valve, which seems like a lot of work to let the air out of a kite. I end up just twisting the quick pump valve to release the air, which is hard to do with soggy fingers. Really stupid implementation right there.

I had a Flexifoil with a similar system.

When it was hell windy (usually getting there for a 9), the tail dump valve let me easily roll the kite up on the beach, end to end. The middle valve means folding the kite in half, or generally stuffing around trying to inflate it.

If you have access to a grassed area in the lee of the wind, a middle valve is good, but if you're on remote beaches, and it's windy, the tail dump is bloody handy!

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
5 Nov 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Agree..it's so nice to have a grassy spot to pack up on, and a hose to clean up gear with too. (Horrocks)
But also good to have the dump valve for sandy beaches too..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 9m Switch Method V2 versus 2015 9m North Neo" started by Dl33ta