Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014 LF Envy vs Slingshot Rally 2014 - Need Opinio

Created by prastis > 9 months ago, 17 Aug 2014
prastis
68 posts
17 Aug 2014 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

I am looking for opinions on the two mentioned kites. I am a complete beginner just finishing my kite surf lessons and after a thorough research I am leaning towards these two kites. At the moment I would prefer to go with slingshot rally since I heard its wind range its much better than envy's. Is this true? I am looking for a kite with a very high wind range before I proceed in buying in smaller kite for the higher wind ranges. In terms of quality and customer support which one is better you think?

I am talking about the 12m Kites just for your information. I am 80 kg and I will ride in 10-22knots approx, its my guess.

I have read that both 2014 models for both kites are much different than their 2013 models. In case a 2013 model of one of the two is adequate I would consider it in order to reduce the buying cost, but since I have read that both models have been reworked in their 2014 models I would prefer to buy the best of the models.

I would really appreciate unbiased reviews like I have previously received here, and I would like to thank you for the amazing work you are doing on these forums.

George

prastis
68 posts
20 Aug 2014 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

bump?! :(

eabmoto
83 posts
20 Aug 2014 6:08AM
Thumbs Up

All brands have a good all around kite. Don't get caught up in reading reviews of kites in the mags or on line. If you find a good deal, or if there's a brand that catches your attention for some reason, the color of their kites or the pros that ride them, go for it, you will not be disappointed. You're not going to notice any defence in wind range or anything else, for a long time, and when you do, you're going to want to buy new kites anyway.

winwil
VIC, 79 posts
20 Aug 2014 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

I would save your $'s. The LF envy 2013 is a great beginners kite- very forgiving, stable even in gusty conditions and fun. The first time you attach the lines to the bridals it may look confusing but once you know what's what it is no problem. The 2014 does not have pulleys but I think that should not worry you in the 2013. You can often find a bargain on a new kite on the earlier models.

The rally is no doubt a good choice too but I have not used one.

harlie
QLD, 188 posts
20 Aug 2014 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

The 2013 Envy is actually more forgiving than the 2014. Without the pulleys ect it has become more responsive and direct – so IMO the 2013 is a better kite for learning than the 2014.

prastis
68 posts
20 Aug 2014 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Okay thank you but is it true what they say about its low end wind range?

winwil
VIC, 79 posts
21 Aug 2014 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Wind range is fine on the Envy but like any kite it has its strengths and weaknesses. It is a kite that turns slow initially, hence the kite stability, but then pivots and turns fast and generates a lot of power at the low end. So it is easy to generate power if you need it but there is a lag to your input and then a sudden burst of power. You can also park it and have an ultra stable and forgiving kite even in gusts.

At the high end you get to a point where it is limited by the depower you are able to get. It is not like some kites where you stay comfortable way above the wind range you would normally select the kite for.

So it is a trade off........ great low end but somewhat limited high end. It is a matter of your riding style but ultimately selecting the right kite size for the wind conditions. I have had a 7m envy in 40 knot winds feeling very comfortable as it was the right kite for my weight at that wind.

CodeRed
NSW, 58 posts
1 Sep 2014 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

rally

jas73
QLD, 796 posts
9 Sep 2014 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

2013 12m Rally has a tighter pivot turn than the 2014. The 2013 dosent seem to pull has hard as the 2014 which is not a bad thing. I enjoyed riding the 13 more than the 14. Find the Rally to be a hastle free kite that does evetrything i want it to do. They are very forgiving and sturdy and i have had no issues with them as i started riding them when the first model came out. my very first kite was an Envy. I hated it but that would have been more because of a lack of experience. As a beginner, you are really not going to be able to hone in on the details of which kite is better or you prefer until you have more hours on the water so its really up to what you feel comfortable with at the moment.

musikl
NSW, 63 posts
9 Sep 2014 7:23PM
Thumbs Up

I use my 2014 10.5m envy in windrange between 14-25kts tropical. And I'm 70kegs
I'm selling it if you're interested
Good kite overall.
Not my type of kite. Too slow turning for me.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

I usually am not a huge fan of pulleys but I found that the 2014 Envy was a step back from the previous years. It was very sensitive to sheeting (back stalls a lot) and they had a lot of leading edge blow outs this year as well. The Rally is hassle free and easy to use with hardly any known issues. Cheers.

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

ditto - rally
don't ride them but the crew who do shred and do it easy,
to many issues with envy's
has LF actually made an issue free, easy to ride kite ever?
I've never seen one, much less flown one.

windtzu
93 posts
10 Sep 2014 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

George, I tried the 2013 Envy (7 meter) and thought it to be a good all around beginner kite. That said, my buddy bought a 2014 7 meter Envy...I tried it on a surfboard in up and down gusty conditions. Both of us agree it back stalls more than we're both used to. It's annoying in certain situations. My 2013 Airush Lithium's (similar to the Rally's) virtually never back stall. The other characteristic I didn't care for (this may not be an issue for newbies or "wakestyle" kiters) was it's slight delay in turn initiation. Something my buddy doesn't like as well and she rides twin tips. You could say this makes the kite more "stable" and less reactive but I found it frustrating. Riding a surfboard I want my kites more responsive. That said the Envy is an easy to park and ride - plug and play kite. Relaunches well.

That said, I'd lean toward the Rally. From what I hear, it has fewer "warts".

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 LF Envy vs Slingshot Rally 2014 - Need Opinio" started by prastis