Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Slingshot RPM

Created by jordy > 9 months ago, 13 Nov 2013
jordy
SA, 451 posts
13 Nov 2013 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Have SS released a 2014 RPM as yet or are they not going on with this kite?

I haven't seen anything about it and anything I can find is only 2014.

Cheers,

Jordy

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
13 Nov 2013 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

Go down and see Bastian at the kite shop at Henley Beach. 2014 RPM's are coming
but later than Fuel's and Rally's! Great build quality and great kite!

polykarb
VIC, 283 posts
17 Nov 2013 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

I've got couple 2013 RPM'S, they arrive really late in our season, I would be surprised to see 2014 model until next year at the earliest.

Awesome kites.

YorksBoy
SA, 215 posts
18 Nov 2013 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

There could be a 2014 around to demo ugly bag this year baby **** yellow

arloj
WA, 237 posts
27 Nov 2013 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

real

Select to expand quote
polykarb said..

I've got couple 2013 RPM'S, they arrive really late in our season, I would be surprised to see 2014 model until next year at the earliest.

Awesome kites.

surprise

Lamza
7 posts
27 Nov 2013 11:11PM
Thumbs Up

DICE vs PARK vs RPM :)
Nice setup, which one do you prefer? :)

niko77
WA, 18 posts
28 Nov 2013 2:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lamza said..

niko77
WA, 18 posts
28 Nov 2013 2:27AM
Thumbs Up

just quick one the are the seem size?also can whe see the pics from the bridal conection

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Nov 2013 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
niko77 said..

Lamza said..

arloj
WA, 237 posts
28 Nov 2013 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

wind wasnt the greatest it was more of a pump an compare although we did do a couple of runs, not enough to compare though. dice & park are 9m, RPM is 8m.

heading to coro on sunday will give all 3 a burn, also have the Best TS to compare

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Nov 2013 11:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said...
niko77 said..

Lamza said..

And best TS.....

arloj
WA, 237 posts
28 Nov 2013 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

well if i want to be truthful the kites il be using will be

ozone edge 9m
north dice 9m
slingshot rally 9m
slingshot rpm 8m
best TS 10m
cabrinha switchblade 9m
naish park 9m

really interested to see how the RPM matches against the Park

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Nov 2013 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arloj said..

ozone edge 9m
north dice 9m
slingshot rally 9m
slingshot rpm 8m
best TS 10m
cabrinha switchblade 9m
naish park 9m

I am NOT worthy....great kites to compare....can't wait read about your findings.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
28 Nov 2013 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
arloj said..

ozone edge 9m
north dice 9m
slingshot rally 9m
slingshot rpm 8m
best TS 10m
cabrinha switchblade 9m
naish park 9m

Gee Arloj you are going to spend your whole day pumping, launching and landing! You're not going to have any time to kite!

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
28 Nov 2013 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

When we demo, normally only two or three kites (jeez big list there), let's say two like not long ago....we have 4 riders. One is on the beach kicking the dog, the rest station as you will, and one person on the main kite we all use...easy because we all use the same kite design...lol. About a 7-10 minute rotation. Hence after around 30-40 minutes, you have ridden all three and had a rest, rotate this through 3 times. Next day repeat, but extend each session to half an hour, so after 2 hours you have got a really good grip on what's going on. Third day pick ya poison and spend a real good session on it, even narrow the good ones down.

Problem is there is always one bugger who wants to hog the most popular kite on the water, so it's all good in theory!!

Demo days are real fun, give it a crack! Beers afterwards in theory, but some have been known to sneak one in on the rest station, and once while riding out...

oh sorry...I hear another safety post coming up...watch out...

Good luck my man, big damn list there.

Dave seeya in a couple of weeks.

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1396 posts
29 Nov 2013 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Looking forward to it Eppo!

Lamza
7 posts
3 Dec 2013 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

arloj, any luck and chance to compare them? :)

arloj
WA, 237 posts
3 Dec 2013 11:58AM
Thumbs Up

yep, tested all the kites.

RPM - awesome looping amazingly quick, really light bar pressure nice thick bar, simple design. Boosting wasnt as good as the dice nor was it as good on the waves. low end isnt too great really needs to be powered up to use it

Dice - well not much else to add which isnt in the dice review section. big tip (cheers eppo) set the lines under the bar to the closest knot to give more bar pressure/power

Rally - never got on it but the guy on using it with the SB liked it over the Dice for wave riding, even though the dice was quicker to loop when toeside etc he felt he didnt have to work the rally as hard as the dice. both were on par with going down the line and drifting

the other kites - no one wanted to use them lol

RPM will be good for guys wanting to unhook and get into looping, this is only off 1 5hour session so those who are more exp on it would have better opinions

eppo
WA, 9372 posts
3 Dec 2013 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that arloj. I will have to move that knot back soon, front lines have stretched into place and the red mini fifth is very taught when fully powered...which how i ride 95% of the time.

Yeh the rally is a sweet kite hey. great booster to. I know you did tell me...forgot already what was the sizes of each kite you were on again?

actually those looking at say the dice and the rally as an option Ik surf mag did a really accurate review of the dice I (we) thought, so maybe the rally is close to...

www.iksurfmag.com/reviews/

Lamza
7 posts
3 Dec 2013 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Arloj :)

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
17 Dec 2013 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Any more people demo the RPM?

NoBS
WA, 908 posts
17 Dec 2013 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Not as good as the BWS noise 2011 model..

kitcho207
NSW, 861 posts
18 Dec 2013 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NoBS said...
Not as good as the BWS noise 2011 model..

Um... They don't boost, at all

Big eeeZeee
NSW, 1100 posts
19 Dec 2013 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Best looking kite on the market. Too bad the outline looks like ****!

GarryA
WA, 264 posts
23 Dec 2013 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jordy said..

Hi Guys,

Have SS released a 2014 RPM as yet or are they not going on with this kite?

I haven't seen anything about it and anything I can find is only 2014.

Cheers,

Jordy

just received my 1st batch of 2014 rpm's will write a review in the next 2 weeks just want to fly them a bit... but so far jumps great , loops like a machine and fly's like a dream with lots of bottom end power, compstick bar a little diferent this year... so have to get used to it, before saying anything good or bad about it.....

live to fly

snowsurfmatt
NSW, 96 posts
7 Jan 2014 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys

Anyone have a 7m RPM 2012/13 OR 14 and can comment on there weight and what wind range u get.

I just sold my 8m rally and have a 6. 10. 14m rpm left wondering weather to sell the 6 and buy a 7 or buy another 8?.

Im 98 pies so curious how much wind i could hold down on the 7 rpm. Thought the 3 would be better to travel with aswell.

cheers matt

BigZ
170 posts
7 Jan 2014 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

I am 105 pies and have 2013 7m RPM. I am good till about 35 knots of a cold Canadian air - on a surfboard. Don't use 7m with a TT.

Select to expand quote
snowsurfmatt said..

Hey guys

Anyone have a 7m RPM 2012/13 OR 14 and can comment on there weight and what wind range u get.

I just sold my 8m rally and have a 6. 10. 14m rpm left wondering weather to sell the 6 and buy a 7 or buy another 8?.

Im 98 pies so curious how much wind i could hold down on the 7 rpm. Thought the 3 would be better to travel with aswell.

cheers matt

hydra
SA, 254 posts
7 Jan 2014 5:57PM
Thumbs Up

got a chance to demo both the 11m and 9m rpm.
these kites like to be ridden fast, i had the 11m out in 18-23 knots and i felt the need for more power. i weigh 95 kgs bout 6ft. bar pressure is light and the kite feels nice within its wind range. it seems to be a sweet wakestyle machine and freestyle.
i noticed it loved to loop but had a bit of flutter on the outside canopy in the loop.
tried the 9m in 30+ knots, it felt quite good but when it gusts up the kite can buck a bit., got cattapulted in a gust . however the 9m rally in the same conditions was solid as a rock. all i can put this down to is the sliding loops on the front bridal. boosting was controllable but not as good as the rally, probably because of the unpridictability in the gusts more than anything.
both 9 and 11 rpms are sweet in the turns and need a bit more wind to perform than most other kites ive used.

snowsurfmatt
NSW, 96 posts
9 Jan 2014 2:39AM
Thumbs Up

Cheers lads!

Gonna go with the 8m

Prob going to get the 2013 just based on price differance and the small changes.

Mite get the 2014 11m in the near future.

Yew

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
9 Jan 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hydra said..

got a chance to demo both the 11m and 9m rpm.
these kites like to be ridden fast, i had the 11m out in 18-23 knots and i felt the need for more power. i weigh 95 kgs bout 6ft. bar pressure is light and the kite feels nice within its wind range. it seems to be a sweet wakestyle machine and freestyle.
i noticed it loved to loop but had a bit of flutter on the outside canopy in the loop.
tried the 9m in 30+ knots, it felt quite good but when it gusts up the kite can buck a bit., got cattapulted in a gust . however the 9m rally in the same conditions was solid as a rock. all i can put this down to is the sliding loops on the front bridal. boosting was controllable but not as good as the rally, probably because of the unpridictability in the gusts more than anything.
both 9 and 11 rpms are sweet in the turns and need a bit more wind to perform than most other kites ive used.

Just a quick question, was the Rally you compared the RPM against a 2013 or 2014 model?
(I demo'd 2013 Rally and RPM's and found the Rally very stable but too slow for my liking, hence the question.)

hydra
SA, 254 posts
9 Jan 2014 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Flying high, it was a 2014 rally. the 9m rpm did turn faster with a lighter bar but the ralley 9m definately isnt slow in the turns.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 Slingshot RPM" started by jordy