Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2015 12m Catalyst or Switchblade for onshore surf

Created by Slashrockson > 9 months ago, 8 Aug 2015
Slashrockson
NSW, 123 posts
8 Aug 2015 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

Looking for more 'always on' power for when surf is onshore to cross on and messy in 13 - 20kt winds. Currently on 11m Drifter and undergunned in these conditions, 90kg.
Interested to hear comments on which kite has the power to charge off the shore but is still surf friendly.

Macster
VIC, 238 posts
8 Aug 2015 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Not many Switchblade owners usd them in surf as there's better drift kites out there. Im 95kgs and I would use my 14m with a twin tip in low teens to low 20s knots to give you an idea of power. On a surfboard you could probably get going in 12 knots at my weight with the 14m (just).

I just changed to pivots and the 12m has very good low wind ability. Once you get some apparent wind i reckon it pulls just as good as the switchblade metre for metre but not the same bottom end i.e. you have to get moving first.

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 749 posts
Site Sponsor
9 Aug 2015 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

12M Cat will have more bottom end than the 11 drifter, I reckon my 10M 2015 Cat is about the same as an 11 drifter. Are you riding a surfboard? Cats come in even number sizes up to 14M.

Wicksy
QLD, 153 posts
9 Aug 2015 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Macster said..
Not many Switchblade owners usd them in surf as there's better drift kites out there.

Rich Stenning might not agree with you on that one!

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 749 posts
Site Sponsor
9 Aug 2015 10:08AM
Thumbs Up

True up until last year, Rich now rides Cats he had the choice to ride anything sold by KP and after a demo of the Cat, he chose that kite and loves them even more than the Switchys he rode for several years.
They are both good kites no doubt, but for Rich and his unstrapped surf style, Ozone Cats are the winner.

Slashrockson
NSW, 123 posts
9 Aug 2015 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys. Yep, on surfboard, I'm talking onshore, real messy surf, largish, lot of water movement tough and continuous shorebreak to get through. Typical east coast SE'er backing off after strong southerly on open beach. Just need that extra power that the drifter does not have in these conditions, plus power to outrun sets etc not backoff in lulls or during turns too much. I've got a 17 so don't want to go larger than a 12, but still need good responsiveness for these conditions.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 12m Catalyst or Switchblade for onshore surf" started by Slashrockson