Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2015 8m North Rebel

Created by dazza5172 > 9 months ago, 4 Dec 2014
dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
4 Dec 2014 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry if there is a thread with this heading already but I could not find one

As most of you know I went Neo this year, but I did get to ride the 8m 2015 Rebel on a Kontact which was really great as I do 'Love my Neos but miss my Rebels'

Rode in 25-28knots, full onshore 1-2ft wind waves

The First thing I noticed about the 8m Rebel is its nibble responsive turning, its stability and locked in feeling, no amount of gusty turbulent wind affects this kite. Upwind monster, easy to go upwind on the Kontact which is not a pure upwind board being the big wave board and high chop high wind board of the North range.

Hang time and transitions are awesome on the Rebel, the kite keeps you at the apex of the jump for that bit longer whilst you turn the kite back to where you want it and then soft landings.

with the Neo, Dice, Evo it can be difficult to know when do you go Rebel as your kite. I think that this decision is easy, check the 2015 Neo review as I have a thread on the differences there but my new summary is:

1. Rebel: your local conditions are high gusty wind mixed with light wind days, small slop and small swell, (or flat water which is where you want a Rebel if you want hang time and boosting) you want to ramp up and hang time and feel you are getting the best air time, free-riding is your thing. You want a kite that is like a wing in the air, stable and reliable and who wants to come in to change kites just because the wind went up 10 knots, because that just means bigger air. Rebel means power!

2. Neo: Waves waves waves, and free-ride with a more powerful but forgiving kite (see the Neo review) I still do my little tricks and transitions and it works well and is forgiving when you slack line and loop, as there is a smooth softer feel.

3. Dice: during the week your flat water local you are throwing down some basic to advance freestyling moves as otherwise flat water might send you insane just going backwards and forwards in and out. on the weekend you hit the waves and want a kite that does both

4. Evo: Freeride and freestyle with big wind range. more all round performance but if you ride waves and want bigger waves Neo or Dice will be better. Although the Evo will work fine its just not dedicated to the wave scene. The Evo and the Rebel come close, but the Rebel has the extreme bottom end boost, its not the best freestyle dedicated kite due to the extra bottom end, Evo will give boost and power but it will also be little better for freestyle.

The question is that however does not the Neo have more bottom end power than the other kites, and yes I am riding a kite size smaller than last year and yest they do. but the difference is in how you are riding the kite, the Neo is for drifting down waves and getting back up wind, using smaller kites in waves is important, so you are likely to go smaller in size whenever you can, the Rebel is meant to be ridden powered and so you might even want to push its wind range just to get the extra lift, that's one example of the difference

if I had small waves and radical winds I would still ride Rebel

Daz

makntracks
NT, 132 posts
4 Dec 2014 10:31AM
Thumbs Up

Great comparison, If you ever get the chance jump on the vegas. would love to know how you compare it to the others in the range as its my favourite..

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
5 Dec 2014 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
makntracks said..
Great comparison, If you ever get the chance jump on the vegas. would love to know how you compare it to the others in the range as its my favourite..

its the one kite in the North range that I have never flown, I really would love to fly it a few times for sure

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 8m North Rebel" started by dazza5172