2015 NORTH WHIP 5'4"

Created by dazza5172 > 9 months ago, 24 Dec 2014
dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
24 Dec 2014 11:31AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all

here's my take on the North Whip

I have ridden it about 3 times now, twice in Merimbula, ridding the demo thanks to Josh and now a big session yesterday on my new board, which I chose based on the demo runs.

I was reluctant to look at the new parallel rail - straight rail - no nose concepts, as having been a surfer for decades the idea of shifting away from what seems to work was weird, I did own a 2008 freestyle fish, that was a little fat board with no nose and it was fun, so its no like I had never ridden anything without a nose before.

also I was looking for a board that suited the type of freeride, freewave, mini trick fun in 80% of conditions we see (2ft slop onshore side onshore), I almost thought about a twini again to get these little wave trick sessions on the move again so I could transfer things over to my larger surfboards, which I worried a bit about trying anything new on a larger surfboard, but then I woke up. That made me want a small light and free feeling kite surfboard, and that's where the Whip came in.

The Board:
First impressions was it goes upwind so easy, it feels like a small board but does not feel boggy, you can set the direction and the rail and it is trucking upwind easily. You don't feel like you are on the fins alone like last years proseries which gets it upwind from a more light and buoyant feel off the fins, this board is more like a mix of twintip and directional feel, it uses the flat tail to squirt out water and get you planing is less wind with less speed. It does truck upwind.

looseness & turning, its super loose under foot, turns back on its own length, you can pull the nose around flat due to the shape and tighter center of gravity, but also it does arc the turn when just using the back foot, it grips and control slides in 1-2ft slop conditions, it makes waste high waves feel like head high waves and you can go either way on the wave and whip the nose back with a tag off the lip or white water. I found that in small surf I could lay the turn harsh and the board would dig into the water nicely, and you can flatten it out and turn flat and control slide (or loose control depending on how the attempt worked out) I actually found it more forgiving is hard turns than a more conventional surfboard shape to be honest, if I want to push hard into the turn I want it to press into the water not stay on top and flatten out, the whip does this.

Jump and pop, it really feels so light and responsive that you can pop it and throw it as you want, it makes you want to pop and tag off the lip and get those fins airing out, put plenty of wax on it and the double concave deck (DECK) means that you have a bit better grip when going strapless, your foot is already into the board a bit and closer to the water. If you are riding strapped it feels like a really light twintip but with the direction drive you want out of your surfboard.

Ride, the board rides fast on the plane, it will feel heavy chop and I found that I preferred to ride with light legs and just pop up and over the chop, rather than try and force a cut through the chop, (like I would on the Kontact) you are ridding slower and getting up wind quicker, rather that having to produce heaps of speed and apparent wind, this board does not need apparent wind and speed to rocket up wind like the Kontact, you are really just trying to get from A-B wave end back to wave start. If there are no waves and its just chop, Im not sure why you are on a surfboard. (unless you are like me and cant really ride a twini anyway, I understand)
for the choppy 1-2ft conditions I have ridden it in, I found it really comfortable and fun, you just need to loosen those legs and smooth over the heavier chop that comes your way, and its a board for cruising, not 30knot speed hammering.
I also noticed when getting caught up on top of the lip when the kite lost power that pumping and getting back into the wave was easier, I think the tale helps with that being a wider plane when you end up flat sitting atop with little power

Limitations: Heavy overpowered conditions and big swell, would get a bit fast and hectic, this board works in combination with the Kontact, its an 80% go to board with the Kontact stepping up after that.

Note that you should pick your board size per the North Guideline - the size of this board should match your weight as the board really is a 'true fit' if you ride one that is too big some of the characteristics will not be present.

I really felt like I was kiting again for the first time, it was a fresh experience and if you can get on a demo, or just get one.

Daz

dazza5172
SA, 311 posts
26 Jan 2015 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Quick footnote

I rode this board strapped yesterday in 20 - 27 knots on my 6m Neo

as I have been riding it strapless it was great to try the difference in solid wave - reef break and heavy chop

whilst strapless it does not hook through the chop at speed as well as other boards, strapless it really does get moving at speed and hover through the chops, the only issue is checking it back into the water for softer landings, as the tail is wide landing flat can slap land a bit, but checking the tail in on an slight angle and nose up is fine, but it is easier to do that with a kontact or other thinner tail board obviously.

overall I would take it out again in heavy chop strapped at speed, but you do have to slow it down strapless

Daz

Adfreetv
VIC, 110 posts
28 Jan 2015 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

I liked riding mine, but it broke after I had it for a week, when landing a jump. It bent in half and creased badly across the middle (top and bottom). The rails are also cracked on both sides,. Not really fit for purpose as a strapped board is going to be jumped.

Perhaps the bamboo should be both on the top and the bottom?

bermand
WA, 246 posts
13 Feb 2015 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like very similar ride to my Naish Skater 5ft 2, think the Naish is bit more beefed up with double layer of bamboo
North seems wider and thicker. I am 82kg so according to North guide would need 5ft 6, I am very happy on my 5ft 2 so without having tried the whip it appears that they ride smaller than the skater. Anyhow I agree with your thoughts and will be surprised if these shapes don't become popular. Guess the downwinder clan are not too concerned with upwind drive and more biased towards traditional surfboard shapes. I like the idea of more compact directionals.

bermand
WA, 246 posts
13 Feb 2015 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

See layer c, their are 2 layers of bamboo.

NathanG
NSW, 117 posts
13 Feb 2015 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

yes, two layers of bamboo... One on the top, and the other on the bottom.

most call this a vacuum bagged EPS epoxy sandwich construction... developed by sailboard makers back in the eighties.

happy to hear from those in the know, but I would be surprised if there are any big construction differences between the kiting brands for their surfboard offerings.

bermand
WA, 246 posts
13 Feb 2015 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

Yup no difference in construction, earlier poster must have gone too hard, guess any board will break with right forces.
North Bamboo Construction Technology:
North Kiteboarding surfboards are made using bamboo on both, the base and the deck of the boards. Bamboo has a high strength to weight ratio, which has obvious benefits in making a durable board that will withstand hard heel impacts and pressure dents, while still keeping the overall board weight to a minimum.

Bamboo itself offers excellent dampening properties which allow Sky Solbach who’s shaping NKB surfboards already in the third product generation, to create boards that feel light and lively under your feet, while not feeling overly bouncy or chattery through the chop, effectively smoothing out the ride. Bamboo is now becoming more widely used throughout the surf industry for the exact same reasons. Additionally, bamboo is of course a natural and easily renewable resource. We at North Kiteboarding feel, it just should be natural to care about your planet, especially when loving and living an outdoor sport so closely connected to nature like kitesurfing. Finally, on top of all of these benefits, the immaculate finish and bamboo wood grains, give each one of our boards a unique and distinct look. Every single one is not less than unique, already nearly a custom board.

John4F
116 posts
15 Feb 2015 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Gleiten.tv wasn't too impressed
gleiten.tv/index.php/video/action/view/v/1787/page/351/
They had more appraisal for the competitors (which are non-German !)

COL
NSW, 513 posts
15 Feb 2015 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bermand said..
Yup no difference in construction, earlier poster must have gone too hard, guess any board will break with right forces.
North Bamboo Construction Technology:
North Kiteboarding surfboards are made using bamboo on both, the base and the deck of the boards. Bamboo has a high strength to weight ratio, which has obvious benefits in making a durable board that will withstand hard heel impacts and pressure dents, while still keeping the overall board weight to a minimum.

Bamboo itself offers excellent dampening properties which allow Sky Solbach who’s shaping NKB surfboards already in the third product generation, to create boards that feel light and lively under your feet, while not feeling overly bouncy or chattery through the chop, effectively smoothing out the ride. Bamboo is now becoming more widely used throughout the surf industry for the exact same reasons. Additionally, bamboo is of course a natural and easily renewable resource. We at North Kiteboarding feel, it just should be natural to care about your planet, especially when loving and living an outdoor sport so closely connected to nature like kitesurfing. Finally, on top of all of these benefits, the immaculate finish and bamboo wood grains, give each one of our boards a unique and distinct look. Every single one is not less than unique, already nearly a custom board.

Lot of lovely words mate. His board broke after a week, apparently that means nothing to you.

bermand
WA, 246 posts
16 Feb 2015 4:30AM
Thumbs Up

I would hope that his board was covered by warranty. I was merely quoting North info on construction. Having new gear disasters is horrible and hopefully his local shop sorted him out.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 NORTH WHIP 5'4"" started by dazza5172