19 May 2015 3:21PM
Thumbs Up

Rider: 75kgs, intermediate+
Style: Freeriding
Weather: various sessions from 15 to 28 knots with some solid chop
Build Quality: 10
Satisfaction: 11
Disclosure: nil

Had been happily riding a 136 XCalibre for a while , but found it really punished the knees and ankles in choppy water. Took the Widowmaker for a run after trying a few other boards and it was just amazing. Excellent speed, tracks well, holds its edge really well and flies upwind but still had great maneuverability despite being a 140cm board. Can really push the toe side transitions! Best of all it seems to absorb the sharp vibrations that chop often creates providing a really smooth and controlled ride. Can't wait to try in the surf!

It's carbon top and bottom (with the Slingshot logo woven in which looks pretty slick!) with a composite wood, foam urethane core. the bottom has "NACA Vortex Tunnels" - four deep tapered channels minus the marketing spin. The Dually foot straps are super comfortable and finely adjustable for fit and position on the board. It has anodized aluminium tracks set into the board rather than just bolt inserts for the footstraps.

For mine, they have really put together a great board. Price is on the high side, but definitely worth taking one for a spin!

Stewynew
32 posts
20 May 2015 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

I have the same board (first one in the UK) and have to agree how well it holds an edge and tracks upwind. I too think it's a super sexy looking board.

I have to minor moans though: Using my boots I found it hurt my knees after two hours (however this could have been the angle I had them set at), when riding with footpads I've had zero problems. The second moan is generic to Slingshot - why do they only come with such large fins! I much personally prefer smaller fins. Again this is not a really problem as I can and have swapped them.

All in all a very good board, especially for lots of jumping as it is soooo light and gives my abs a rest ??

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
21 May 2015 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

I forgot to add that the board is super light too so should be good for boosting.

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
21 May 2015 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Have to echo Mark's sentiments. We didn't expect the board to do as well as it did as it is a bit dear, but if you plan on keeping it for a while and you're after a premium ride, it's hard to beat the WM. One of the best strap boards I've ever ridden and I found it to work exceptionally well with boots as well. It's a machine. Perfect combo of stiffness and flex and unlimited grip. Can't speak highly enough of it. If you want a demo we do have one at KP available to try.

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
17 Jun 2015 2:59PM
Thumbs Up

Just back from 8 days at Kalpitaya and Vellai island in Sri Lanka and even more impressed with the WM. Winds from 16 to 25 knots every day, water ranging from somewhat choppy in the lagoon to glass smooth behind Vellia island and the board handled anything you could throw at it. Smooth and controlled in any situation. It also jumps and lands (depending on the pilot...) brilliantly - being so light it should!

The srilankakite resort is a great place too - good accomodation, food, bar etc and Fabio's team really look after you and it's great value for money. Highly recommended if you can get a week off to enjoy the consistent trade winds on offer!!!

Spitfire
WA, 394 posts
23 Jun 2015 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

window maker....don't let your wife know you've bought one

Mark50
NSW, 166 posts
11 Jul 2015 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Slingshot have advised they will no be building any more Widowmakers Too expensive apparently. If you want one, better grab one now if there are any left!

KPSS Used
NSW, 372 posts
Site Sponsor
11 Jul 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

We have our one demo board left and that is all!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2015 Slingshot Widowmaker" started by Mark50