Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2016 Airush wave 12m

Created by orynoco > 9 months ago, 16 Aug 2015
orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
16 Aug 2015 6:19PM
Thumbs Up

Today I demo'd the new 12m Airush wave in 10-18knots SE winds on the sunny coast. What a wicked kite, firstly it goes upwind like a champion!!. The waves were small but fun, so I decided to check out what happen when you run towards the kite while on a wave, drifted wonderfully, it just sat there waiting for my input. Quite surprising for a larger kite, my biggest kite is a 10m and this felt lighter on the bar. Turning was also quicker.
Construction of the kite seemed really solid also, it has what looks like extra criss cross strips sown into the canopy, I'm guessing this adds more strength but also looks cool in flight. The leading edge and struts are also much thinner than I was expecting, guess this makes the kite feel lighter.
The bar was ok but next time I'd reduce the size, which is easy as. Just remove the inserts and customise it to suit. De power, I think it may take a little getting used to the amount of straps and the 2 finger pull de power bits, seems a bit cluttered but when your looking for waves you'd soon forgive it.
Overall I'd give this kite 8 out of 10. Can't wait to try it in a 10m.

Big thanks to Jonno at Sunshine Coast Kitesurfing for the hook up??????

mazdon
896 posts
16 Aug 2015 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

What kite is your usual 10m mate?

orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
17 Aug 2015 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

BWS noise pro.

The5MetreKid
QLD, 179 posts
17 Aug 2015 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

The wind was pretty up and down, i was in the maroochy river mouth that day trying the 11m 2016 Razor!
The criss cross pattern on the canopy is the dyneema load frame from airush, theres heaps of info about it on their website but it basically reinforces the stressed areas of the canopy and really reduces stretch compared to the standard material (around 40% less stretch).
Im pretty keen to try the new waves, where were you riding?

orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
17 Aug 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

I walked straight from the car park down to the beach and was in the surf between the river and surf club.

It was a good day to test kites with the wind up and down.

How was the razor?

toppleover
QLD, 1497 posts
17 Aug 2015 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hey orynoco, if you don't like the standard depower set up Airush have a clamcleat conversion kit - I put one on my bar & works great mate.

orynoco
QLD, 271 posts
17 Aug 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Nice one Toppelover, I'll keep that in the memory bank.
Now for a test on the Reo????

windtzu
93 posts
21 Aug 2015 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 2013 Airush Wave 9 m. Don't suppose you have any idea how the 2016's compare.

Love the 9 m Wave, just wish it had a bit more power size for size; although the upper wind range is excellent. Yes it goes upwind like crazy, turns nice and quick, and feels like an extension of my hand - I always know where it is.

Never flew the 12 m. I'm thinking about replacing my 12 m Lithium (doesn't go upwind well and too much grunt in the upper wind ranges) with a Wave, but am concerned about having enough power size for size.

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
24 Aug 2015 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Windtzu

From 2013 to 2016 you will notice more of a change than those who will be jumping off the 015. The 9 has always been the benchmark of the range as everyone seems to love how it rides. It's simply had more subtle tweak to assist in stability throughout the canopy. A lot of the WAVE riders take full advantage of the speed this kite has, so structural stability, drift stability, and support of the LE was extremely important to focus on this year.

Based on your comment "doesn't go upwind well and too much grunt in the upper wind range" The Wave 12m might be your ideal kite! It doesn't have the same power 12m to 12m as the Lithium sits further back in the window, but you are able to generate board speed by utilising the Wave 12m kite speed.

toppleover
QLD, 1497 posts
24 Aug 2015 6:59PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Auswind, is the 2016 Wave built noticeably lighter than the 2013 ? this should give the waves improved drift & the only reason why I'd consider updating.

magnusod
17 posts
24 Aug 2015 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

There's a new option for 2016, Union the replacement for Varial X. It seems to be a really good crossover do it all kite. The turning speed seems to be extraordinary from guys who tried it. Also the test looks pretty good www.thekitemag.com/tested/airush-union/

windtzu
93 posts
24 Aug 2015 8:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Auswind!

Auswind
WA, 398 posts
Site Sponsor
25 Aug 2015 12:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Toppleover

It's a catch 22 to make it lighter but still Surf tough. For 2016 we reduced weight in some areas but added some, specifically in the LE for more structural stability and support. I would be interested to see for myself the weights from various surf specific kites.

Magnusod

There is the Union - a bit more versatile for all around riding. Higher aspect than the Lithium - a bit more top end range like the Wave. I did consider this as Windtzu was already a very happy Wave customer.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2016 Airush wave 12m" started by orynoco