WA, 8967 posts
12 Sep 2005 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

after this

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7309

I picked up my brand new 2006 Addiction, edge Kiteboard from Pete sunday Night

I'm very very very happy

Background
Addiction boards are made here in perth, well rockingham, by a bloke called Pete Gould.

Pete is your typical "gentle giant" a towering monster of a man that is one of few words and obviously has a heart of gold!!! . He is totally addicted to kiting and i believe he loves to boost.

From what i know Pete has been kiting round Perth for many a year and has taken his addiction one step further, his backyard tinkering is now full blown production.

I'm not sure and please correct me but i believe this is his third year in production with the addiction range.
This years models are aptly named "edge" and Pete claims they are the strongest and sexiest boards hes made to date.

The website is www.addictionkiteboards.com

Boards
Boards come in a selection of sizes 123x36.5 128x38 133x39.5 and 138x41 for the full tech spec check Petes website as i am crap at that stuff.

My Board
I'm 92kgs, heavier in depths of winter bit less in summer. i usually ride a LF drop 130 2004 model, which i have had a love hate relationship with as i am large and at times struggle with this board.....so to ensure i get my fat arse up and out of the water i chose a 138x41. The board comes with comfy foot pads/straps, grab handles and 50mm Fins.

First impressions
The board looks mean. As you hold it it kinda feels like it wants to go fast. It feels light compared to my drop but at the same time the drop was a heavy board. The overall outline isnt too dis-similar to the FLX 142 (2005).
It feels flexy at either end, and quite stiff towards the middle. There is a concave running the entire length of the baord, wide in the middle and tapering in towards either end.
It is a lime yellow colour with black graphics. yeah the colour aint the most aesthetically pleasing but at the same time when you wipe out and look for her you'll see this board glowing on the surface of the water.

I havent had the chance to get the board out (popped it in the bath today to see how she sits in the water) and give her a work out but when i do i will post here. As is usual when i get new gear the whole of Australia goes into a wind lull.....anyway as soon as i can i'm out there and into it......will let everyone know how she performs. i will also post some photos when i get some time.

Thanks again Pete really appreciate your generosity......more to come
Mike

jan
WA, 1119 posts
12 Sep 2005 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

can anyone out there compare the flex of 2005 to 2006.

i found the 05 way way too bendy :(

addiction
WA, 69 posts
13 Sep 2005 2:21PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jan
Sorry to here that the 05 board was to flexy for you, everyone is different.
To answer your question the 06 is quite a bit stiffer, but there is still a good amount flex.

Cheers
Pete

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
13 Sep 2005 3:47PM
Thumbs Up

Today was the first day in the water with the new 138.
What a sheer delight to ride.
When i first mounted this beast of the sea, she took me on a ride my initial thought was WOW like wearing shock absorbers.
The water was quite bumpy (woodies north, NW wind) but i was amazed at how absorbing the board was in fact it was at times like you are floating.

Its an upwind machine, i literally pointed the board where i wanted to go and away i went. In fact i was all over the place, up there, down there round there. Now i know there are a lot of things that come into play when going upwind, but this board just made it feel so easy.

Another thing i liked was no matter how hard you drove this board in turns it took it in its stride and if you listened carefully you could hear her taunting you saying "is that it, go on a bit more"

There were a few little ankle biters coming round the point on the middle bay, which were fun and the board responded beautifully when thrown hard at the little lips sending lovely arcs of spray skyward.
I found the set up with the 50mm fins perfect though the fins are a bit sharp and could potentially damage.

It holds an edge beautifully and loads up like a dream, tons and tons of pop no matter how hard your riding.

Overall i am really impressed with this little bundle of fibreglass. I think Pete has really thought about things this season and has worked out a lot of stuff to make these boards real contenders.
For me its the perfect board for me at my stage of riding and for doing the things i like to do. Cant wait to give her a thrashing in some decent surf.....more to come......

jan
WA, 1119 posts
13 Sep 2005 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

pete, wasn't knocking the board just too flexy for me :)

felt either too flexy in high wind or light wind, i forget which way round, one was good one was horrible feeling

if its stiffened up now shall be interesting to see how it goes

any plans for a board somewhere between 123 and 128? :P

addiction
WA, 69 posts
15 Sep 2005 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

No worries Jan.
The core is thicker on the new boards, so this stiffens it up mainly through middle.
Sorry to say though at the moment no plans for a size between 123 and 128.

Cheers
Pete

shunter
WA, 441 posts
15 Sep 2005 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jan/Pete

I also remember that you had a couple of early proto types floating around last year that where alot more flexy than your production boards.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
15 Sep 2005 6:30PM
Thumbs Up

Luuuuuuuuuurve that yellowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

jan
WA, 1119 posts
15 Sep 2005 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

i tried out one of john's (sos) boards that he had on the shop floor, i assume it was the full prod version

if he has one of the new boards (?) i'll see if he won't let me try one :)

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
15 Sep 2005 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

if your at woodies tomorrow arvo jan your welcome to have a little blast on mine..

addiction
WA, 69 posts
15 Sep 2005 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

I'll be at woodies tomorrow arvo as well and SOS will have a demo in on Saturday.

Thanks gruezi
I think the the yellow is going to be a love and hate color, some will love it others will hate it.
I'll tell you though in the middle of winter in the grey and dim you'll spot your board no problem and in the summer, ah wear sun glasses

Cheers
Pete

glaucus atlanticus
119 posts
16 Sep 2005 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

I was going to say "Poor rel`y -how did you manage to afford a new board?" but then I just read that thread where Pete offered you a free board I laughed alot and thought--- You lucky bastard!!!!! Good things do happen to good people huh?

And Pete you kick-ar$e! If the Karma Gods are watching then I think you just earned a million good karma points.

Stoked to read such good stories!

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
16 Sep 2005 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah its a pretty darn cool thing Pete did.
and after another ride today on the 138 i am more indebited to Pete than ever.

It amazes me the difference that good gear makes to your riding and overall enjoyment.

I was honking upwind today in less than windy conditions with my shock absorbing mellow yellow board flying.

It used to really annoy me that i couldnt do this in light wind on my old board and yet my mate on his board in the same conditions would make it look easy.

Must post some photos....

glaucus atlanticus
119 posts
17 Sep 2005 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Did you also get a Dirtsufer this winter poor rel`y?
If you ended up getting one, how`s that going?
What kites are you flying with it?

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
17 Sep 2005 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah i got a dirtsurfer.
Havent been flying kites with it and to be honest havent really used it much at all. Really enjoyed blasting a few hills in the parks though round Freo and spearwood
Ended up getting a "like new GP" with all the bits and bobs.

am considering selling it now, bit of an impulse buy i think, as i just never get the time to use it and am a bit worried i will render myself injured and unable to go "proper" kiting.

How about you do you get out much on yours?

glaucus atlanticus
119 posts
18 Sep 2005 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah......I love it!

I`m a bit of a poor boy meself`, My one and only water kite is a 12m so it takes a bit of wind before I`m having fun on the water. In the 8-12knot range I always go ripping around the beach while most of the other guys are just sittin` around yappin`. I`ve really increased my kite skills because of the dirtsurfer, I can even to kiteloops with it now.
The straight line speed runs are really good fun and it`s quiet amazing to see the looks on the faces of beach walker as you fly past at 50k`s.

I nearly always use my lil devil foil kite with it, the few times I`ve tried my tube kite I`ve found it has to much downwind drag for two wheels to cope with. Did a few mind bendingly scary high/long jumps with it though. I think for jumping I`d like to have the flexdeck version.

I hate to say it but I`m going to the darkside and buying a water relaunchable foil kite, one of those speed 10`s from Flysurfer, I reckon that way I`ll have the ultimately fast kite for the dirtsurfer in light winds and then as the wind picks up I can just swap the dirtsurfer for a board. Plus I`m in Japan or Italy most of the time so I`m keen to get into snowkiting this year.

Start dragging yours down the beach with ya everytime and I`m sure you`ll find there`ll be days when you`ll be lovin life, Esp. when it`s that straight onshore light wind crud that you just can`t have fun in the water.

May all you paths lead downhill! ARrrrrrr me hearties!

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
18 Sep 2005 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

ARrrrrrr me hearties!

Glaucus, are you kicking off "international talk like a pirate day" a little early?

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
18 Sep 2005 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

tobes,
Ye must be ye landlubber arrrrrrr

tobes
NSW, 1000 posts
19 Sep 2005 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Arrrr Rrrrelllie
I be a salty sea dog you scurvy scoundrel, I'll have ye walk the addiction plank

windburn
VIC, 37 posts
30 Sep 2005 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative, wondering how the board is going . Was looking at a light wind board and wondering how it compares to others. Any one else got suggestions for light wind boards

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
4 Oct 2005 1:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hi windburn,

Just got back from a full on week at shark Bay. Every day was not less than 20 knots. Used a full range of Bow kites from 7m to 12m, each rocked.
used the 138 addiction throughout, its just a great board i'm just so totally impressed. Did a 20km downwinder on he which was great really stable, no worries.
Gave a friend a go on the board too, he seemed to like it and is keen to get one for his daughter. But of course needs to demo one first!!
Yeah i think as a light wind board i would pick the 138, My mate rides a 142 FLX 05, and said he preferred the feel of the addiction.
Its just so easy on the knees and legs.
Anyway give the 138 serious consideration before you buy, i'm sure SOS will have demos or if you see me on the beach try mine!

TripleB
NSW, 2 posts
11 Oct 2005 2:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Pete, I must have had one of your earliest boards (still use it) - how many years ago was that

Thomo
WA, 204 posts
15 Oct 2005 6:57AM
Thumbs Up

Heh PR

I want to have a go on your board as well!!!!

Make a good wedding pressie!!! hahahaha, make Michelles day.....NOT!!

mc
NSW, 357 posts
16 Oct 2005 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

can you tell me how this board compares to the underground flx's, I'm interested in the 132 comparison?
cheers

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
16 Oct 2005 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Havent had the oppertunity to try against a 132, but have compared to a FLX 05, 142.
Feel is very similar in my opinion, though i reckon the Addiction has a bit smoother ride. Also the board feels a bit more "grippy" The pads and straps are also better i believe. Also the price, much cheaper for an addiction, $795 compared to over a grand for an FLX.

My mate on the FLX142, which he loves really liked my 138, and has gone out and bought his daughter one (a 123 i think) and i believe he would like to get one for himself.

Try SOS i think they have demos you can borrow.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
16 Oct 2005 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

thanks will do, I think kite power on the east coast will have them soon, just waiting for the fins.
cheers

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
16 Oct 2005 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Pete..........great board!

Made in WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, bravo.

poor relative
WA, 8967 posts
26 Nov 2005 8:13AM
Thumbs Up

A couple of months on and still in looooooorrrrrrvvvvvvveeeeeeee
This board, for me does it all
can't recommend it enough

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"ADDICTION KITEBOARDS 2006" started by poor relative