Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Advice for a new kite

Created by Duff15 > 9 months ago, 16 Jan 2016
Duff15
VIC, 203 posts
16 Jan 2016 10:10AM
Thumbs Up

Looking to update my kites. Currently i own 2015 airush lithium 9m and 12m. I like to power of the lithium but would like a kite i can unhook. I current riding preferences are strapped wake style, freeride and strapped surfboard.

I have been looking at the airush union, naish pivot, slingshot rpm.

Im going to Canada this year and was going look at purchasing the kites there.

Any

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
16 Jan 2016 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

if you are a new kite first of all congratulations! you have somehow made it threw the shop floor without the children and adult slaves accidently getting something wrong and causeing you to be scrapped for parts. its going to be a pretty scary journey now that you have been deemed sellable. you are probably wondering what are all these little gimmicky slits and slots and bits and dangles hanging off you dont be to concerned as they wont affect your flying abilitys at all. now its important as a new kite that you must claim to be better at boosting and slacking and smacking the lip much higher longer and harder then your predacesors. ohhhh you have three struts.... well that is a shame looks like you have been destined for the kooks and schools, you are in for a bumpy ride. i hope you like trees and remember its the fall that kills you not the impact so when you do find yourself up the palm just hold on and eventually some teenagers will get you down. good luck and remember the sunscreen

dowls
NSW, 237 posts
16 Jan 2016 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Union might pick, airush make good durable gear.
started with flows, tried lithiums and now use waves.
but everything you nominated is good.
personal call really try them all.

Duff15
VIC, 203 posts
16 Jan 2016 5:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dowls said...
Union might pick, airush make good durable gear.
started with flows, tried lithiums and now use waves.
but everything you nominated is good.
personal call really try them all.

I am a fan if airush kites, i have had both the 2014 and 15 lithiums. I have only had a go at the union and was very impressed

Duff15
VIC, 203 posts
23 Jan 2016 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

I am also considering the RPM, so as far as sizing goes if i ride a 12m lithium do i need a 13m rpm? And same for the 9m lithium = 10m rpm ?

windtzu
93 posts
25 Jan 2016 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Duff15 said..
I am also considering the RPM, so as far as sizing goes if i ride a 12m lithium do i need a 13m rpm? And same for the 9m lithium = 10m rpm ?

I have a 12 and 9 m Lithium, and now on Waves. The 9 Wave feels more like an 8 compared to the 9 m Lithium, or more likely the Lithium has the low end of a 10 m plus compared to many kites. On the flip side, for my weight -70 kg / 160 lbs, I can comfortably take the Wave up to high twenties and thirty in a pinch. The 9 m Lithium is way too much in the mid twenties. I have a 2015 9 m Varial and it's another alternative - feels like a cross between the Lithium and the Wave. It has a better lowend than the Waves and just a little less than the Lithium...w/ much better high end than the Lithium & better upwind. I Look at the those as well - closeouts. If you live in the US, I'm selling mine - $500.00 in very good condition. I like it, but being almost exclusively on surfboards I prefer the Wave. I hear great things about the Union too.

I tried the RPM, similar low end to the Wave, so yes at least a meter difference in low end. Maybe even just a little more.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Advice for a new kite" started by Duff15