Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Airush 12m Wave V's 12 Ozone Reo

Created by high as a kite > 9 months ago, 10 Feb 2015
high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
Wondering if anyone have used both of these kites, for pure wave riding.

I have used 7 & 9 Airush Wave kite and are really great kites.

I use the Reo for my 12m which is a great kite, but I'm prepared to forgo it for the Airush 12 Wave if I get some good feed back.

Any thoughts please?

Plummet
4862 posts
10 Feb 2015 6:59AM
Thumbs Up

No i haven't flown the Airrush.

But locally there's mainly 2 camps. Those with airrush waves and those with reo's.

Both camps have dudes that shred equally as swell as the other.

The main point of difference that i see is that ozone don't use pullies and the airrush does.

So do you have an opinion on pullies? I personally don't want them id if possible. Its one more thing to potentially fail.

Just thought I'd add some pic's of locals on wave and reo for your throthing pleasure.

dafish
NSW, 1631 posts
10 Feb 2015 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

surely you must have some other photos by now Plummet? (not that these aren't good shots of waves) :)

Plummet
4862 posts
10 Feb 2015 8:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dafish said..
surely you must have some other photos by now Plummet? (not that these aren't good shots of waves) :)

When I do i'll let you know. These seemed worthy of a repost since, they had both kites (all be it older models) pictured.

mbuckley
WA, 54 posts
10 Feb 2015 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

high as a kite What year is your current 12m Reo?
Do you find you gain much lowend over the 9m Wave?

My guess is the 12m Wave would be better through the turns, but the 12m Reo would drift slightly better. Just speculation though from flying the smaller sizes of both (7 and 9m Waves and 2013 10m Reo).

mazdon
1196 posts
10 Feb 2015 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

^^ what bucks said is what i'd expect from speculation as well.

sounds like you don't mind bridles. keeping same quiver of kites is sometimes nice for dialling in (unless they fly that much different in bigger sizes). if it is cross/crossoff conditions you kite mostly, i'd keep the reo, cross on to onshore i'd look at the 12m wave

let's be honest, if we need a 12, it is probably only for 10-15kn, anything above that and you will just be riding around with bulk power on a slow turning due to its size kite, and would rather be on any 9m at its bottom end in 15kn on a surfboard and able to ride waves "purely". so if it ain't broke, don't bother fixing until you do a full quiver upgrade?
keeping the 12 up in 15-20 and starting to ride, umm, what does plummet call it, dog style? or something, changing to a twinny or mutant etc is another option i always keep in mind, in which case you might want to choose maybe the wave over the reo?

would love to try wave after reo after neo but kite stock is not on the cards

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
11 Feb 2015 2:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been riding both brands for years and never had issues with pullies.
Landing the Airush kites in higher winds is way easier than Ozone. A huge plus when you don't have guys to catch.
It's a no brainer which brand i use when real windy & gusty. Can get the Ozone down but Airush with pullies is much safer, just saying.

Buckley,
Ozone Reo 12 is a great kite, it's the first model out, 2012 i think.
I like the way the smaller waves go and if the 12 Wave turns quicker then the Reo then its the way I'll probably go.

Maz,
mainly cross on and down the line. Don't like cross off down here, too much wind shadow for my liking.

Wave might be the go then.

toppleover
QLD, 2033 posts
11 Feb 2015 9:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
high as a kite said...

Hi,
Wondering if anyone have used both of these kites, for pure wave riding.

I have used 7 & 9 Airush Wave kite and are really great kites.

I use the Reo for my 12m which is a great kite, but I'm prepared to forgo it for the Airush 12 Wave if I get some good feed back.

Any thoughts please?

I havn't flown the latest Reos but back in 2013 I demoed the 12m & didn't think I gained much low end over my 10m Reo. In 2014 I bought a quiver of 7/9 & 12m Waves, the 12 is the fastest 12 I have flown to date - especially with the Smart bar extensions in & on 21m lines.
Both great kites, you can't go wrong.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Airush 12m Wave V's 12 Ozone Reo" started by high as a kite