Thumbs Up

Rider: Weight 70 kg,Level (advanced)
Style: Freeriding, Surf,
Weather: various knots
Build Quality: 9/10
Satisfaction: 10/10
Disclosure: (e.g. work at a shop/team rider etc) I get a shop discount

My Comments:

I have been riding an Airush Cypher for the last couple of weeks. I usually ride a Compact and love it.

I have been impressed by the Cypher so thought Id mention it on here. The board Im riding is 5'6 and 28l. That is a fair bit of volume for a little board and as such I have found it fantastic in lighter winds. If you can keep the kite flying, you can go up wind.

I have only ridden this board strapless and found it easy to control and super fun to ride. Being short and with the cut off nose I have been able to make turns I was expecting to nose dive. It goes from rail to rail smoothly and you can drift the fins with control.

I have paddle surfed it and found it had plenty of float and was a cruisy board to ride. It didnt have the performance of my regular shortboard, but I didnt expect it to.

I would be happy to take this board on a trip where the wind is a bit iffy so I could surf it or kite it and be happy doing both.

I have not ridden it in overpowered conditions as thats when Ive got back on to the Compact with Straps.

omg
276 posts
18 Dec 2015 1:35AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review.

This is one of the light wind boards I've been looking. What version is yours and any chance you to weigh it with fins, please?

Thanks!

bene313
WA, 1347 posts
18 Dec 2015 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

2016 Cypher – 5’4″ x 19.5″ x 2″ 25L
2016 Cypher – 5’6″ x 20″ x 2.4″ 28L
2016 Cypher – 5’8″ x 20.75″ x 2.5″ 31L

omg
276 posts
19 Dec 2015 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks, but I meant the construction, there are three versions of it... Hence the weight questions as well.

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
19 Dec 2015 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

To update my original review, I have ridden it well powered on a six. I was impressed how well it handled and how solid under the feet it felt. As long as my back foot was right on the tail block it would hold in on deep bottom turns and transitioned smoothly off the top. The more I ride this board, the better I like it.

Sorry OMG I don't know how much it weighs, I'll post it up when I get a chance to weigh it. It's the flex carbon model.

windtzu
93 posts
30 Dec 2015 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

I have the 1st gen 5'6 Cypher - 2013. Seems like the 2016 5'4 Cypher is more comparable.

It was my first strapless surfboard, and still my go to all around, "If I was stranded on a desert island and could only have one board" choice.

I weigh the same 70kg - 158 lbs and it's my light wind @ 12 knots to well, 30 plus no problem - just keep the speed down in the rough. It's very controllable, responsive, a solid design.

Wonder how the new gen Cyphers compare.

Thought about getting one size up (1st gen 5'8 Cypher) for small mushy-waves and lighter winds, along with Firewire MPH kite series - Vanguard or Vader for med to high winds.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Airush Cypher" started by coreyb