Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Airush Vantage 18m 2014

Created by kitcho207 > 9 months ago, 10 Nov 2014
kitcho207
NSW, 828 posts
11 Nov 2014 12:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hey. Looking at this kite for freeride in light wind on a twin tip
I had a little play with it on land today but didn't have time to get it on the water.
All around it felt good, quick turning and stable. It stays up in the air with bugger all wind.
But in sharp turns the trailing edge flapped lots. Does this happen when riding? I know it only has 3 struts and designed very light. But the flapping seemed excessive.
Does anyone have experience with the kite for light wind boosting and freeride grins.
Cheers
Kitch

norcom
61 posts
11 Nov 2014 4:21AM
Thumbs Up

Would love to hear how this kite flies in under 10knots and compares to the Airush Zero 18 in such winds. I'm assuming it goes upwind better due to the higher AR? Anyone knows the weight?

kitcho207
NSW, 828 posts
11 Nov 2014 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

its listed as 3.8kg for the 18m vantage.

Puetz
NT, 2097 posts
11 Nov 2014 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

... as I understand, many kites flap a bit when turning fast in really light winds.

The wind speed generated over the kite is faster than whats on offer so you get the flap, nothing bad just annoying. I think some times just a bit of back line tension can help,,,, but not always, depends on the kite. I'm betting it won't do it in a few more knots of wind or even when riding!

My advise, don't worry about it, and see if you can do some water time with it!

Robbie

kitcho207
NSW, 828 posts
11 Nov 2014 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said..
... as I understand, many kites flap a bit when turning fast in really light winds.

The wind speed generated over the kite is faster than whats on offer so you get the flap, nothing bad just annoying. I think some times just a bit of back line tension can help,,,, but not always, depends on the kite. I'm betting it won't do it in a few more knots of wind or even when riding!

My advise, don't worry about it, and see if you can do some water time with it!

Robbie

cool thanks for the insight.
i was just comparing it to my Core XR17LW that didnt flap much. but that had more struts and sat back further in the window.

cheers
Kitch

Puetz
NT, 2097 posts
11 Nov 2014 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

... yeah, some are worse than others from my memory. Even my Rebels or my son's Vegas did it in super light conditions, but usually only on the beach if memory serves me correct. I used to ride the Core XR17m and it flapped a bit, but again usually only in very under powered condtions.

Actually thinking about it now, I seem to remember all though they did flap on the beach in f all winds, it didn't really flap much once on the board. I'd say combined with the fact that the Vantage is a big kite, with 3 struts in light winds and on the beach, this will contribute to the extra flapping.

Of course I am only guessing here by the way, it migh do it all the time for all I know.

Cheers,

Robbie

alty
WA, 60 posts
11 Nov 2014 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

I have had the Vantage 18m for a few months now and I have not noticed it flapping at all, except perhaps when you loop it or do a hard turn standing on the beach in very light wind. I am not saying that it never makes a flapping noise, but it certainly is not a flappy kite to fly or anything.

When up riding on the board I have never heard it flap. I find it to be a sweet machine and gets going in very light wind.

kitcho207
NSW, 828 posts
11 Nov 2014 4:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
alty said..
I have had the Vantage 18m for a few months now and I have not noticed it flapping at all, except perhaps when you loop it or do a hard turn standing on the beach in very light wind. I am not saying that it never makes a flapping noise, but it certainly is not a flappy kite to fly or anything.

When up riding on the board I have never heard it flap. I find it to be a sweet machine and gets going in very light wind.

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

it was around 10-12kn and it was very noticeable. but yer i was just standing flying it.
might have been the setting too. high bar pressure and middle knot at the wing tip.
i would have prob had it light bar pressure (for when the wind picks up) and faster turning
dont know if that would make any difference. it does sit nice in the sky and feels powerful enough.

alty
WA, 60 posts
11 Nov 2014 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kitcho207 said..

Cool, thanks for the info guys.

it was around 10-12kn and it was very noticeable. but yer i was just standing flying it.
might have been the setting too. high bar pressure and middle knot at the wing tip.
i would have prob had it light bar pressure (for when the wind picks up) and faster turning
dont know if that would make any difference. it does sit nice in the sky and feels powerful enough.

At 10 - 12 knots it should be plenty powerful enough - that is nearing it's sweet spot. I use the standard settings out of the bag - middle knots all round I think.

I would suggest giving it a ride in those conditions to see how you find it. I suspect you will be happy - I love mine.

SonnyRider
84 posts
13 Nov 2014 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

10kts, 65kgs
September 2014 Marazion, Cornwall, UK

Massive wind range, I'm 95kgs and can use from 10 - 20kts. Pretty powered from 16

They guy in the bottom right was pumping his zephyr. He didn't get out on it

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Airush Vantage 18m 2014" started by kitcho207