Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Airush compact active??

Created by marno > 9 months ago, 5 Nov 2014
marno
WA, 218 posts
5 Nov 2014 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

G'day, I'm looking at the 2015 Airush compact active (carbon), 5,11. Had anyone ridden one of these?? Thoughts??, do they flex ok, or feel corky and stiff like a tufflight?? Any feedback would be ace, cheers

vishy
WA, 451 posts
6 Nov 2014 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marno,

I have been riding PU boards this last year after having trouble finding an epoxy board I liked.

Rode the active 5'9" compact on the weekend, felt really good, was meant to swap halfway through the session so I could compare it to standard construction, but I forgot, was having too much fun.

Flex is obviously slightly stiffer than the floppy PU board I was riding last year, but miles better than the stiff epoxy from a few years ago, I think it isspot on, I couldn't fault it.

Bottom turns really well(which is where I seem to notice it if a board is too stiff/corky) .

Boards gets going pretty early, but surprisingly you can throw alot into your turns and not worry about spinning out.

Another thing to take note of is board is completely different to last year, should be a new model really. Rails a lot more refined compared to the chunky ones we have seen the last few years.

I have ordered a 5"9 Compact for this season.

Will put up a proper review when I get a chance

Matt
Disclosure, Airush Team Rider

marno
WA, 218 posts
6 Nov 2014 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Matt, just trying to figure if I should go the 5,9 or 5,11. Seems there's a fair bit more volume in the 5,11 but I was thinking this could be handy on light wind days coz I've only got an 8m reo. I'm 80 kg, just doing downwinders locally. Sounds like you've only ridden the 5,9 but what do you reckon???? Cheers mate

vishy
WA, 451 posts
7 Nov 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marno,

I'm 80kg and ride the 6m wave on downwinders.

Rode the 5'9" with the 7m wave powered up on the weekend and also on a super light downwinder, never left me wanting.

I will be riding the 5'9" most of the time this season unless its super light , where I will use a skimboard.

I havn't had a chance to ride a 5'11" yet or even hold one, so will let you know next week when I get a chance.

Pop in to a store and put both under your arm, should be pretty easy to tell if you will be happy with the extra volume or not.
Cheers
Matt

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
10 Nov 2014 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

I'm with Matt on this, surprised the board doesn't feel overly stiff. For me its about half way between most PU and epoxy boards.

I'm on the 5'9" at 87kg but usually fly 8m or bigger on the East Coast.

coreyb
WA, 463 posts
3 Dec 2014 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

I had a few test rides of the 5'9 Active. Its goes really well and is very light. Light enough to surf, which I did do. It has plenty of float for me at 68kg. If you wanted a one board quiver for paddle and kiting, this would be a great choice.

I bought the standard construction in the end. I actually prefer a little bit of extra weight when kiting. Im loving it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Airush compact active??" started by marno