Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Are Underground 2012 Kipuna boards for real?

Created by Lambie > 9 months ago, 21 Mar 2012
Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
21 Mar 2012 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

My Comments:

Hey I was in SHQ today to get my surfboard (Underground Pohutu 6'2") repaired after a session on Monday ( just dont ask !!)

While in the shop Dustin showed me the 2012 U'G Kipuna - and to my horror he turned the board deck down on the shop floor and then stood on the base - but it flexed and didnt break!!

If I'd done that to a normal epoxy board something might have given (snapped) !!

It turns out that Underground have built this 2012 Kipuna with the same construction technique as a twin tip - is very robust (if not with a bit more flex than I would normally expect with an epoxy surfboard).

So my question is - do these boards ride OK (they are bullet proof it seems!) the base and rails look the goods and it would be great to know that you can jump them without causing the damage that has put mine back into the resin shed!

It seem the Kipuna is a 'twin tip' (robust construction) with a surfboard like nature.

Is this too good to be true?

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
21 Mar 2012 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

So it's something like this board then? - nobilekiteboarding.com/

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Mar 2012 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds similar to the shinn duke

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
22 Mar 2012 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Don't think they are indestructable, there was a thread a while back and people have broke them from jumping. fun boards though!

Baz
NSW, 205 posts
22 Mar 2012 7:34PM
Thumbs Up

Great in the surf, particularily in our east coast mush. Can be jumped, at 100kgs I have flat landed with that sickening noise we all know but not a drama. Can be ridden strapped or unstrapped, so do yourself a favour park the old board and buy a Kipuna.

radman4
678 posts
22 Mar 2012 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Doubt it would have a true surfboard feel ,think i'll stick to my new epoxy board have got a tt style woody surfboard and its just not the same.
Although i like to ride both but both have a vastly different feel.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
22 Mar 2012 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

I've the 5'4, it's such a fun board to ride strapless. But it's not quite the same as a real surfboard. The board is very thin so you need quite a lot of speed to surf with it so I would keep it for mushy waves and choppy conditions where the flex is highly appreciated.

NathanG
NSW, 139 posts
22 Mar 2012 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

We have had some knowledgeable wave riders though this post without elaborating on the differences between a surfboard and a surfboard outline.

This forum discussion is all about this above topic and shouldn't be about selling particular brands, but the divergence in ride due to different technology application. I hope that makes sense...

I like to ride my TT, skim and 6' polyester thruster. They give me great diversity and have prevented me from mastering any of them. I would love to hear the difference in ride from more experienced board aficionados who can explain how this other "new" type of board compares to a surfboard ride or skim board. I have yet to see a nobile surfboard in action, even though I gather they have been available for the whole season. Underground sells both types of board, pohutu the surfboard while kipuna appears to be the surfboard outline.

It's so great to have a "gear review" topic that focusses on boards (rather than kites... yawn) and doesn't have to be brand related.

I look forward to discussing further and will post my feelings about the "new" rides after doing a demo through my local friendly retailer.

Cheers
Nathan

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
23 Mar 2012 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

SHQ had a demo board which I tired at the start of summer but only in the bay slop.

Loved the board, tried it both strapped and strappless, enjoyed strapless on this board more. In the end I couldn't justify the price of the board.

Tried a few others and ended up getting a bamboo / epoxy board for the following reasons,
1.. More of a surf board feel
2.. Price, as new 2011 board at more than $500 less than the 2012 kipuna.

mc
NSW, 357 posts
24 Mar 2012 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2011 kipuna, Feels like a Tt, rides like a surf board in small waves , has total flexibility for jumping , carving , jibing, it's made me love kiting again after getting a bit sick of kiting last season . A 2012 to 2011 comparison would be great , anyone ?.

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
24 Mar 2012 8:30PM
Thumbs Up

I have ridden a friends 2011 model several times. Seems to be a little slower and less responsive than the Vidra that I ride. Harder to jibe too, but maybe because it turns differently than my board, I am not so into it.
The board is a good board for what it is designed to do, and I have seen vids of guys really tearing it up with them. But in surf, it does not perform like a surfboard. You might be able to jump on it and have it flex without breaking, so what. It is actually stiff for it's size. Feels a little weird with the sunken rails, but the deck grip is good and I quite like that. That said, I would turn to more of a surfboard outline any day, whether it is a fish or quad for small mushy ****e, or a pulled in tail and sharp rails for the good stuff.
I would have to be able to ride that board in good waves to get a better feel, but even in small mushy choppy crap I have had more fun with other boards.
Can't fault the quality though.
my 2 chili's worth

mc
NSW, 357 posts
25 Mar 2012 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Da fish

Where did you get your vidra from , they look good, good for crappy Sydney northern beaches waves with 14 knots if your lucky. We have to buy boards for where we kite the most I suppose and each brand works for different locations .

I'd love to demo a vidra 5.9.

Cheers

27 Mar 2012 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

A picture saves a thousands words - Rich Stenning in his office at Wanda in Sydney. Rich has been part of the product R&D for this board since its very first outing way back when mambo was mambo. I think it was first produced around 07/08, he broke some early ones for sure, but now he doesn't. This pic is a reasonable punt, but he also tries and lands kite loop transitions. Anyone who has seen Rich riding knows he hammers boards and rides hard.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
27 Mar 2012 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh this board has got my attention. For those that like the feel of a rail, like me, rather than fin based as in a sb, this could compliment my CB wave.

dafish
NSW, 1633 posts
27 Mar 2012 2:38PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^
That dude rips...he could probably ride a broken down timber fence and still make it look good.
Can't fault the build of the board, it is just horses for courses...

DazzaRap
WA, 60 posts
27 Mar 2012 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

I''ve got the 5'8" kipuna. Had a freewave, and will have it again when my mate gives it back. We've both got dodgy knees, and if you've got dodgy knees, they are almost the only answer. Only answer to the dodgy knees problem that I can come up with, anyway.

And I love riding it as well. I haven't ridden it in a large wave, and to be fair I don't have lots of experience with surfboards, but I reckon it is great anyway.

I've jumped the freewave and the kipuna. Not huge jumps, but anyway I haven't broken either of them.

and if anyone has got a used one, let me know, cos my mate wants one.

Dazza

Lambie
QLD, 738 posts
29 Mar 2012 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

As the original poster I have watched this discussion with a great deal of interest - thanks for all of the great comments! So like any board it seems you just need to 'ride it' in the conditions that its going to be used in to work out if its the right stuff.
I'm only in my 3rd year of kitesurfing and have gone from the TT's to the surfboards and just love the carving and slashy feel - trouble is most of my kiting is on a shallow choppy lake that can also get a fair swell running when it blows - sounds like the mushy surf type of situation !
Looks like I'm going to have to find a kipuna to try out - only thats hard to do when you are in the sticks ( ie 3 hrs east of Melbourne!) ahh such is life .
Again thanks guys for the discussion !

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
29 Mar 2012 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Check in with SHQ they did have a demo board at the start of summer that they will usually give you for a week if you are in Melbourne on a regular basis. Trouble is the crap wind we are getting at the moment...

Mask
WA, 293 posts
30 Mar 2012 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

radman4 said...

Doubt it would have a true surfboard feel ,

You mean that heavy rockered ,slow., draggy, boggy feel that is difficult to go upwind Etc. Dont want it thanks

radman4
678 posts
30 Mar 2012 8:15AM
Thumbs Up

Mask said...

radman4 said...

Doubt it would have a true surfboard feel ,

You mean that heavy rockered ,slow., draggy, boggy feel that is difficult to go upwind Etc. Dont want it thanks

You obviously have never ridden a good board or you cant ride a surfboard for s**t

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
30 Mar 2012 12:28PM
Thumbs Up

Hey I actually agree with Mask for once!!! Hooray!

Mask
WA, 293 posts
30 Mar 2012 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

Your getting soft Ep.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
30 Mar 2012 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh ya right, got ankle surgery this wednesday, out for 4-6 weeks. I'm emotionally fragile at the moment. LOL.

radman4
678 posts
30 Mar 2012 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Yeh ya right, got ankle surgery this wednesday, out for 4-6 weeks. I'm emotionally fragile at the moment. LOL.

Epp your spending too much time on the CB mate ,never said the UG Kipuna was crap just its different and i prefer to ride an epoxy board as a surfboard and my mutant as an alternative,thousands of surfboard riders cant be wrong mate,basically each to their own,i love ridin both.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
30 Mar 2012 3:41PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I was just being a dick. I rode strapless for a year as well, never liked it in the end, but you are right, too many surfers out there can't be wrong. Wouldn't mind trying again some day, but we rarely get surf worth it.

radman4
678 posts
30 Mar 2012 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Ride mine strapped mate dont like to give up the boosts and flips.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
30 Mar 2012 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh might be worth revisiting even for lighter winds. What sb do you ride and why?

radman4
678 posts
30 Mar 2012 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

I have my own board brand mate,i ride a 5'6 x 20" gets going fast and can be set up as a quad or thruster,triple layer 6 oz top and bottom decks so i can abuse the crap out of it

Mask
WA, 293 posts
31 Mar 2012 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

BIg difference between a true surfboard and a dedicated kite surfboard.

radman4
678 posts
31 Mar 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yea mate i agree my own branded boards are dedicated kiteboards,have sold quite a few and the guys love them dont know if its the board or the price

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
31 Mar 2012 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Do you call the board the RADMAN!

What do you ride MASKMAN?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Are Underground 2012 Kipuna boards for real?" started by Lambie